people are more interested in spirituality now than at any point in history (1 Viewer)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
I think that society in general is becoming more and more interested in spirituality in recent times. More books, films and music are dealing with questions outside of our own selves. What it means is another matter for discussion, but it's interesting thought anyway.

Just today on the way work I was listening to a sermon, and I saw another person reading a religious tract, a guy was reading the Bible and a lady was reading a book by Joyce Meyer. A few years ago I would have been surprised if I saw someone on the bus reading a Bible (or any other religious material for that matter). It's as if religion and spirituality are rising to prominence in the collective consciousness.

So, what do you guys think? This thread isn't about the relative merits of different religions or about the existence of God (we've got separate threads for that), so I'd appreciate if you could keep the comments on track

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
well i think its the overflow of information.
we, in the past 10 years have had more access to information than probably all of humankind combined.
pretty scary, because it says in the last days many will run to and through, and that knowledge would be increased.

maybe you just live near the biblebelt (hills).

maybe people are looking for meaning and purpose within their lives.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
i see some1 reading the bible on the train nearly every second day. and i dont like it.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
ANY point in history? No... But recently I do think there has been a spike. I think challenges to religious belief, instable times generally inflame people's religious fervor. In the future I see a lot more 'spirituality' and a lot less religion, with people claiming the former is better than the latter.

Personally I disagree.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
theism said:
well i think its the overflow of information.
we, in the past 10 years have had more access to information than probably all of humankind combined.
pretty scary, because it says in the last days many will run to and through, and that knowledge would be increased.

maybe you just live near the biblebelt (hills).

maybe people are looking for meaning and purpose within their lives.
What does the overflow of information have to do with people becoming more interested in spirituality?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
bigboyjames said:
i see some1 reading the bible on the train nearly every second day. and i dont like it.
What is it about people reading the Bible that you dislike?

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
inasero said:
What does the overflow of information have to do with people becoming more interested in spirituality?
well
there's alot more information out there.
thus the amount of people reading that information would increase.
at least one would think eh?

E

Empyrean444

inasero said:
What is it about people reading the Bible that you dislike?
Personally (i know this comment is not for me) it is because people aren't just studying it for historical views or opinions on religion and possible universal spiritual forces; they are using it as a moral guide. Its morals are dated, often contradictory and even hypocritical. I believe it is fictitious, and that people should either develop their own responsible morals or look for more modern and sufficiently developed "source" for moral belief.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
The claim of "Any point in history' is a baseless assertion. It worries me that more people are seeking answers in the false claims of spirituality than in the real values of humanity. More weak-minded people.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
i recommend reading andrew newberg's book|| why we believe what we believe: uncovering our biological need for meaning, spirituality, and truth. ||

wendus

krawr.
HSC
i think all the world events in the past few decades have sort of contributed to that... it's like people have lost faith in humanity so they look towards spiritual sources of comfort. like they can't cope with reality mebbe.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
Fear does things to you. Fear begets hatred begets fundamentalism (and I'm not talking about muslim extremists).

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Tully B. said:
Fear does things to you. Fear begets hatred begets fundamentalism (and I'm not talking about muslim extremists).
fear doesnt draw me to christ. purpose does.

HSC
Anyone think the rise in spirituality could be linked to post modernism? (trying not to sound gay)

A lot of muslim/asian Australians continue their cultural practices which is very different from the culturally bland anglo-saxon world.

I find myself clinging more and more to my identity as a Catholic because if I wasn't I'd just be white, male and middle class with two toyotas.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
You may be right. I think religion, regardless of the creed gives some form of meaning and purpose to what would otherwise be a meaningless existence.

HalcyonSky

HSC
Spirituality is definately NOT becoming a more prominent point of interest for people.

You only need to take a quick history lesson to see that spirituality and religion were an absolutely integral part in most societies in the past, whereas now it's more of an interest that people have on the side. The 'spiritual' people today might go to church on sunday, do some light reading on the subject throughout the week, but its not like they are worshipping Ra every time the sun rises and making human sacrifices until the next lunar eclipse.

Spirituality is definately dying; with the advances of science its removing the need for faith in becoming an atheist, and the people who do label themselves as being spiritual only incorperate this into their lives with a fraction of the intensity that people have in the past.

HSC
For those interested, here's an excellent perspective on the atheist's sense of spirituality.

The truth is that an atheistic worldview is at least as compatible with the human sense of spirituality as any religious worldview is, and by no means denies the vital sense of awe and wonder that gives meaning and worth to human life. All atheism denies is that we need any invented miracles to give importance to the genuine miracles that surround us every moment of our lives.

dpospination

HSC
inasero said:
I think that society in general is becoming more and more interested in spirituality in recent times. More books, films and music are dealing with questions outside of our own selves. What it means is another matter for discussion, but it's interesting thought anyway.

Just today on the way work I was listening to a sermon, and I saw another person reading a religious tract, a guy was reading the Bible and a lady was reading a book by Joyce Meyer. A few years ago I would have been surprised if I saw someone on the bus reading a Bible (or any other religious material for that matter). It's as if religion and spirituality are rising to prominence in the collective consciousness.

So, what do you guys think? This thread isn't about the relative merits of different religions or about the existence of God (we've got separate threads for that), so I'd appreciate if you could keep the comments on track
i think yes and no... yes in a sense because of what manyieve is humanities obviousdownawrd spiral... but one could say no... as they reject spirituality resulting in thiws downward spral...

nikolas

HSC
dpospination said:
i think yes and no... yes in a sense because of what manyieve is humanities obviousdownawrd spiral... but one could say no... as they reject spirituality resulting in thiws downward spral...

Lol

The slippery slope argument.

You call it a downward spiral

I call it social-Darwinism.

Captain Hero

Banned
HSC
N/A
We can conclusively agree that this thread is a crock of shit, then? Superb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)