AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

i know its spam but what can i do!!

:)

Mike iE

HSC
Very Nice Asylum, i have the Stack Version of the MG100DFX with the head unit and 4x12 cabinet, it goes pretty well except the effects switch on the pedal doesnt work :( I find the distortion is good for punk/hard rock/ heavier music. ( i was in a punk/rock band)
I want to downgrade though since im in a cover band and the stack has way too much power. I might post a pic of it later.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ahh yeah i was thinking of getting the stack, but didnt have the money at the time :)

Takuya

Banned
A blazing inferno of blood and despair...
MG100DFX is a decent combo amp, but it's usually better to buy it as a head and wire it through several celestion speakers. There are also the Marshall AVTs which are good but still not the same as full valve amplifiers.

I had a MG100DFX but I later switched to a MG250DFX (no, not 250 watts, 2 x 50 watt amps = stereo effects). It was stupid so I ended up trading it in to help pay for a JCM2000 TSL head, which was excellent. I often took it out when my band played live and used it to power a clean channel.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
oooh nice, yeah the amp is serving as an upgrade from a 35 W so im still making the trek upwards :)

For what i need it for right now its good, has the power, and the ease of use for me

Takuya

Banned
A blazing inferno of blood and despair...
Originally posted by AsyLum
oooh nice, yeah the amp is serving as an upgrade from a 35 W so im still making the trek upwards :)

For what i need it for right now its good, has the power, and the ease of use for me
It's good, but one myth is people who buy a low wattage amp (amps aren't *actually* the same wattage advertized), saying that they aren't going to be playing loud. Turn a 15 watt amp at the same volume as a 350 watt full stack and try telling me there's no difference.

Don't get me wrong, MG100DFX (there's also a MG100HDFX which is just the head), is a great amp, but some of the effects aren't very good at all :p Sometimes it's better to get a powerful amp with little to no effects and add an effects pedal / board such as a Boss ME-50 (which is quite good).

How much did you pay for your MG100DFX? In the near future it might be worth looking at an AVT, because they're only about 25-30% more expensive for the same wattage and it's almost a valve amp anyway.

ND

HSC
Originally posted by Takuya
It's good, but one myth is people who buy a low wattage amp (amps aren't *actually* the same wattage advertized), saying that they aren't going to be playing loud. Turn a 15 watt amp at the same volume as a 350 watt full stack and try telling me there's no difference.

Don't get me wrong, MG100DFX (there's also a MG100HDFX which is just the head), is a great amp, but some of the effects aren't very good at all :p Sometimes it's better to get a powerful amp with little to no effects and add an effects pedal / board such as a Boss ME-50 (which is quite good).
Turn a 15watt tube amp up to the same volume as a 350watt tube amp and the 15watt will sound a shitload better (at a reasonable volume, i'm not talking playing a 300 person show).

For effects, go rack. Way better. (also, for amps i'd go rack too, with the excpetion of the Mesa Boogie Mark IV, now that's a nice sounding amp)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
i paid 767 for it

and i already have my own pedals doing the effects for me :D just handy having an extra bit of delay or chorus for other times when i bypass everything

adsta

HSC
A mesa boogie simul 2:90 poweramp, and a triaxis preamp is a nice combination:)

Patricio

UNSW Member
Hey guys

I want to sell my Marshall JCM 900 100W Hi Gain Dual Reverb Combo (complete valve amp - with Footswitch).

It cost about $1750 and has hardly been used. How much do you think I should ask/try to get for it?

Patricio

UNSW Member
Originally posted by FadeToBlack
sell it to me!

forrrrrrrrr ..... a grand?
are you serious?

I've got to check out tradingpost and the rest (like guitar shops etc). I'm not sure how much I should be asking -in it's life it's been used less than 20 hours all up (mainly in the recording studio on 50W level), so it's in "as new" condition.

btw: For those who didn't know, the JCM900 is switchable from 100W to 50W (for smaller events), and has 2x12" celestions.

Last edited:

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
Originally posted by Patricio
are you serious?
"Are you serious" as in "do you really want to buy it" or "you can't seriously expect me to let it go for that much" ?

Patricio

UNSW Member
"Are you serious" as in "do you really want to buy it" or "you can't seriously expect me to let it go for that much" ?
At the moment, as in "do you really want to buy it".

I'm not sure how much it's worth yet, but if you're interested and are making that offer, I'll keep you in the loop..

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
Originally posted by Patricio
At the moment, as in "do you really want to buy it".

I'm not sure how much it's worth yet, but if you're interested and are making that offer, I'll keep you in the loop..

Is it any good for home use? 100 watts tube sounds fucking loud

Patricio

UNSW Member
Is it any good for home use? 100 watts tube sounds fucking loud
If you crank up the Lead Gain to 20 and turn up the volume it will be LOUD - Hammett & Hetfield were using JCM900s for their albums in the 90's - which was part of the reason I invested in the amp - I loved the sound, both clean and with gain.

Most of the time I used the combo was in the studio, which meant I had to keep it at a pretty low level (and on 50W mode), the other few times I used it were at home (with no neighbour complaints), so yeh, it's fine for home use.

Once I'd tried Marshalls, I fell in love with the all-valve sound (just think of And Justice For All). I learnt to keep it on 50W mode at home, but the 100W boost is there if you need it.

ND

HSC
The jcm900 is a nice sounding amp. I'd say a bit over a grand for the combo version would be a good price (like $1100-$1300), but i haven't been in the loop for over a year, so prices may be a little different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)