Poll: Which faith/religious tradition do you currently practice?

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Religious affiliation

HSC
    Originally posted by lolzieee
    i'm agnostic.
    different to athiest becuase im open to the idea of religion... just wouldnt have a clue which one is the "right" one
    well u gotta look at each religion, and then decide for yourself which religion is the right one.
    B Engineering/B Science @ USYD

"Don't worry, there's always tafe''

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A
    No, you do not, Freaking_Out, and that is the point of what lolzieee, amoz_lilo, and I were saying.

If I had a choice I would be a pagan, but living in suburbia kind of limits that idea .

HSC
    Originally posted by Generator
    No, you do not, Freaking_Out, and that is the point of what lolzieee, amoz_lilo, and I were saying.

If I had a choice I would be a pagan, but living in suburbia kind of limits that idea .
    well u chose "paganism" bcoz u felt it was right...but in the end u have to make the decision for yourself, by comparing all the religions and stuff- thats what i was talking abt.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A
    Actually, I didn't choose (not the ), and in the end you do not have to choose a religion, which is what i was disputing.

Up the mighty red V hipsta_jess's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A
    Originally posted by Nescient
    im not religious at all... what does that make me?
    athiest

HSC
    Actually, I didn't choose (not the ), and in the end you do not have to choose a religion, which is what i was disputing.
    so ru an aethiest- coz the fact that ur an atheist means- that u basically "chose a religion".

HSC
    Originally posted by +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+
    being a christian isn't about being better than everyone else, it's about knowing and being able to admit that u've screwed up and u need God's help...
    amen!
    BA (Visual Communication) @ Avondale

wat
    HSC
    N/A
    buddhist.. brought up that way, grew into the religion and now its a part of me

HSC
    I'm a Christian.

I go to a very religious school though, and I can see how that might put some people off. At the end of the day it's not about how many prayers you recited in chapel, it's about your personal relationship with what/whoever you believe in. And it's your choice whether you believe in anything at all.

Retired 13 May 2006 Lexicographer's Avatar
    HSC
    Originally posted by freaking_out
    so ru an aethiest- coz the fact that ur an atheist means- that u basically "chose a religion".
    Oh here you're saying something very important, but very badly. Get the terminology right.

I think everyone will agree to the statement that to make a valid choice one must weigh the factors of any faith (or lack thereof) against your own values, what you feel to be Good and Right. Choosing Atheism (or Agnosticism - two very different things) are just as valid as choosing a faith, if you believe that it suits your own morality best. They in themselves are not "faith" (atheism is a total lack of faith, in anything - agnosticism is the belief that there may be a higher being without faith in he/she/it) but they are still a system of affirmed beliefs. The point remains that each must CHOOSE which s/he does (or does not) believe. There is no such thing as abstaining in this case.
    No longer active as of 13 May 2006

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
    HSC
    You *can* choose whichever religion is right for you, as long as you are willing to follow its teachings and abide by its laws.

Simply praying for "good things and help" as many people are saying is far from being part of religion. The point of religion isn't to make excuses OR make things more convenient. They give an explanation for our existence and help us cope with suffering or life so we can aim for spiritual enlightenment and move onto a higher plane in the following existence.

Complaining about going to Church because people don't like being "forced religion down their throats" are basically lazy and looking for excuses not to go. I think if you're going to take up a religion, you should pay attention to the teachings and follow them as much as possible.

I'm a Hindu btw, but I'm open to all religions, as I hope everyone else who claims to be religious is.
    Last edited by CHUDYMASTER; 20 Feb 2004 at 7:51 PM.

HSC
    Originally posted by Lexicographer
    Oh here you're saying something very important, but very badly. Get the terminology right.

I think everyone will agree to the statement that to make a valid choice one must weigh the factors of any faith (or lack thereof) against your own values, what you feel to be Good and Right. Choosing Atheism (or Agnosticism - two very different things) are just as valid as choosing a faith, if you believe that it suits your own morality best. They in themselves are not "faith" (atheism is a total lack of faith, in anything - agnosticism is the belief that there may be a higher being without faith in he/she/it) but they are still a system of affirmed beliefs. The point remains that each must CHOOSE which s/he does (or does not) believe. There is no such thing as abstaining in this case.
    yep, thats more or less what i meant....i.e basically everyone has to choose the correct religion (i.e the purpose of life) for them, by weighing up each religion- and comming to your own conclusion. u need to have an open mind to do this though.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A
    I still do not agree... There is a difference between following a faith/set of beliefs and following a religion... I may follow my own set of beliefs and be open to all while rejecting nothing out of hand, but that does not mean that I have chosen a religion.

HSC
    i consider myself to be spiritual but not at all religious. Theres so many religions and they all believe they are right... this has never made sense to me. I dont believe "God" really cares WHAT religion we are as long as we try to be good people.
    What if all the stars were dead?
    An image of the past, projected

smoke and mirrors

And we were all that was left?

Im a Muslim (one who submits to God). Islam (submission), therefore, is my way of life.

Why?

Well, ill have to admit that partly it is beacuse (as with the majority of other ppl of all faiths) my parents were such. However, inheritance of faith/beleif is not exactly allowed (or at the least highly discouraged) in Islam (for it can never lead ot true conviction). Allah (God) instructs man to reflect, think, to contemplate and thus to come to the conclusion of there being only one Being worthy of any Recogotion/Worship. Only one Being to whom all submit, who holds all the Power and to Whom all are accountable.

So..Im a Muslim because, quite frankly, its the only way of life (dont like using the word religion, doesnt really fit) that makes any sense to me. Theres no other system/ideology/way of life out there that:

- makes more theological (or general) sense;
    - is more in harmony with human nature;
    - has more solid evidence of its truthfulness;
    - is as comprehensive in covering all aspects of life;
    - has resulted in anyhwere near such a progessive (in the true sense of the word), harmonious and peaceful (both within and without) society (as Islam did for many centuries.)

Note that I dont say the above to be confrontational. It's simply what I frankly believe in...

Of course, God Almighty has ordained free will for His servants, so everyone is free to believe, behave in whatever way they wish:

"Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error.."

"And Say (O Apostle!): 'The Truth is from your Lord'. Then whosoever wills, let him believe and whosoever wills, let him disbelieve."
    "O ye who believe! stand out firmly for God, as witnesses to fair dealing, and let not the hatred of others make you swerve to wrong or aviod justice. Be just: that is nearer to piety: and be conscious of God, for God is well-acquainted with all that ye do."

HSC
    N/A
    i do not know how one can be athiest..

how can something as perfect as life just "evolve"..

there had to be something and it had to be created.. its just beyond our comprehension to understand what it is..

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
    HSC
    Originally posted by reynaldo
    i do not know how one can be athiest..

how can something as perfect as life just "evolve"..

there had to be something and it had to be created.. its just beyond our comprehension to understand what it is..
    Yes, God created the Big Bang...He created the single celled organisms that evolved as he Himself expanded across the empty space to form the universe. With that, live evolved.

I am still undecided on the whole Adam and Eve story since I've not actually read it, but I don't see how evolution can be wrong since we are all evolving right now. We are all naturally developing mutations within us. Whether they make us or break us is part of the evolutionary process.

But out of curiosity, do you believe there are living creatures on other planets? (perhaps not in our solar system, but beyond...?)

HSC
    Originally posted by CHUDYMASTER
    Yes, God created the Big Bang...He created the single celled organisms that evolved as he Himself expanded across the empty space to form the universe. With that, live evolved.

I am still undecided on the whole Adam and Eve story since I've not actually read it, but I don't see how evolution can be wrong since we are all evolving right now. We are all naturally developing mutations within us. Whether they make us or break us is part of the evolutionary process.

But out of curiosity, do you believe there are living creatures on other planets? (perhaps not in our solar system, but beyond...?)
    evolution theory is just that- a THEORY. don't assume it to b a fact. did u know, that there are a large no. of scientist who reject this theory! anyways, here are a couple of interesting links about refuting darwinism (i.e evolution)

For a basic book: The Collapse of the Theory of Evolution in 20 questions

More advanced book: Darwinism refuted
    Last edited by freaking_out; 21 Feb 2004 at 12:35 PM.

Originally posted by CHUDYMASTER

The so called 'revealed religions' do not deny evolution. I can speak for Islam, but Im pretty sure its the same in Christianity and Judaism.

The fact that living things evolve does not contradict anything in Islam. Its only the suggestion that there was no creation to begin with: that somehow a huge bang occured by itself and wa la! the world came into being, that we got such order from such chaos. Its these things that Islam and other faiths reject.

Having accepting that God created everything (and if there was a big bang then He orchestrated it), the evolution of living things is not only accptable but is even alluded it in various religious texts. In the hadith (narrations of the Prophet(pbuh)) for example we learn the human beings used to be much bigger then the present day stature.

So yea..there is a general misconception out there that those faiths that belief in God, reject evolution outright...its simply not the case.
    "O ye who believe! stand out firmly for God, as witnesses to fair dealing, and let not the hatred of others make you swerve to wrong or aviod justice. Be just: that is nearer to piety: and be conscious of God, for God is well-acquainted with all that ye do."

Retired 13 May 2006 Lexicographer's Avatar
    HSC
    The Catholic Church has accepted evolution as a possible (and likely) complement to Creation, but the Pope has also said that while evolution may account for our physical development, it can never explain the human soul. The soul is an undeniable part of our essence, and something that Science will never be able to measure or quantify.
    No longer active as of 13 May 2006

HSC
    yeah, it might not b that wrong to accept some part of evolution- but the fact remains is that evolution is a THEORY- not a fact!!

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A
    The science of evolution is just as precise as that which keeps our planes in the air and lets electricity flow through the grid...
    I for one cannot see how many following the christian faith in general could not grasp the idea of evolution as a means of illustrating the glory of 'god's' creations...
    Last edited by Generator; 22 Feb 2004 at 1:38 PM.

HSC
    The science of evolution is just as precise as that which keeps our planes in the air and lets electricity flow through the grid...
    it is not man- its a "theory" not a proven fact!

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Yes it is... Many biologists would gladly tell you of that fact, and that is all that they tend to say on the matter given the potential for heavy debate. Besides, all science is based on proven theory, not fact.
    Last edited by Generator; 22 Feb 2004 at 1:47 PM.

generator is right...

choosing your own set of morals or beliefs dosn't make you religious, it's just setting guidelines for how you live your life.

Not being "religious" dosn't make you an athiest. Being an athiest means you do not believe in any higher being. People who don't practice religion don't always believe that there is no such "thing" as religion, they just chose not to make it an important part of their lives.

Agnosic is when someone is open to the idea of a higher being but are unsure which religion is the "right" one, these are usually the people who live life by their own sets of morals and 'beliefs'.
    roooooooooosters

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information