Aquarium hobbyists? (1 Viewer)

hungry

HSC
Anyone keep fish? What type? Tank sizes? For how long? etc. Tell me everything. :) I recently got into the hobby, kind of.. I only have one plakat betta fish in a planted 22 litre tank which I've had for only a few months. I've been planning for a ~100 litre community tank but my parents won't let me get more fish. :/ (it's not like they'd pay for it or maintain it or anything).

So anyone else at all? :)

youngsky

poof
HSC
I used to keep a Black Moor, 2 Ranchu, and a common goldfish in a ~40 litre tank. Was pretty exciting but they lasted about 1.5 years even with regular water and filter changes :(

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone keep fish? What type? Tank sizes? For how long? etc. Tell me everything. :) I recently got into the hobby, kind of.. I only have one plakat betta fish in a planted 22 litre tank which I've had for only a few months. I've been planning for a ~100 litre community tank but my parents won't let me get more fish. :/ (it's not like they'd pay for it or maintain it or anything).

So anyone else at all? :)
I had two goldfish once #pro

hungry

HSC
I used to keep a Black Moor, 2 Ranchu, and a common goldfish in a ~40 litre tank. Was pretty exciting but they lasted about 1.5 years even with regular water and filter changes :(
Common goldfish can get very big, I believe up to 45cm, but many people aren't aware of this and keep them in smaller tanks so their growth gets stunted. They also produce a LOT of ammonia so you need a powerful filter and large tank. Don't worry, when I was younger I had 4 goldfish in a 20 litre (ideally, they need around 75l for one plus 35l for each extra, I think or around that (other types need more or less)). Goldfish are so commonly advertised as fish you can keep in small bowls but it's very inaccurate. But yeah, I did the same thing haha. :/

enoilgam

HSC
I have a Siamese Fighting Fish in a 3L tank. He has a nasty looking tumour, but he still seems really happy and lively.

hungry

HSC
Here's mah bae (sorry for the poor photo quality!)

He is a short-finned (plakat) siamese fighting fish. He doesn't have a name yet, even though its been months. I'll post photos of his whole tank later on, since I just ordered a few new plants so I wanna put them in first. :p

Attachments

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I have a sibling who's pretty keen on it. Used to be salt water and we had angel fish, gobies, a star fish, and all sorts of things, but with one shipment of live rock, there was a crab in it that attacked a bunch of the fish we had.

These days it's just freshwater but still looks pretty, and less worries about temperatures and chemical levels.

the littles ones have bred a few times

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)