Unfair financial treatment by my parents?? Means test failure. (1 Viewer)

kuromusha

HSC
N/A
My brother went to uni 10 years ago, and he was able to receive money from centrelink because he passed what parents means test, now I am in uni, and my father got a new job that pays more and centrelink won't pay a cent. And my parents refuse to give any money and put all their money money into their mortgage and their yearly overseas travels.

What is my legal right in this circumstance? Am I legally entitled to payment from either the government or my parents? Should I take my parents to the court if they refuse to pay up?

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
My brother went to uni 10 years ago, and he was able to receive money from centrelink because he passed what parents means test, now I am in uni, and my father got a new job that pays more and centrelink won't pay a cent. And my parents refuse to give any money and put all their money money into their mortgage and their yearly overseas travels.

What is my legal right in this circumstance? Am I legally entitled to payment from either the government or my parents? Should I take my parents to the court if they refuse to pay up?
your legal right is to stop being a little shit and learn to work for your finances

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
0 legal rights.

only way for you to get centrelink is become an independent through work or live with a de facto partner.

kuromusha

HSC
N/A
your legal right is to stop being a little shit and learn to work for your finances
Why does my brother get $$$ without working and I have to?

If I have no legal right, then why did the government have means test in the first place? Are children of higher income parents supposed to be financially disadvantaged?

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Because your parents' income increased and so they aren't eligible for any more assistance so you don't get anything as a result. If your parents' income hadn't increased then you would. The belief is that your parents are able to assist you so you don't need anything extra from the taxpayers of Australia.

It is often the lot of younger siblings as parents' income increases so they end up in a higher tax bracket and end up entitled to less government assistance - including money for their children. As your parents have the money they are expected to take care of you as they see fit rather than ask other taxpayers to supplement their incomes further via assistance to their child.

You issue is with your parents so maybe try sitting down with them, an a calm manner, and ask them for some ideas of how they can assist you financially remembering that they don't have to give you anything. Talking to your parents in an adult manner may actually achieve something (doesn't always work I know but whinging is even less likely to achieve anything).

Last edited:

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad

If I have no legal right, then why did the government have means test in the first place? Are children of higher income parents supposed to be financially disadvantaged?
stop comparing yourself to other people

Flop21

HSC

Because life is unfair. I hope you realise that life just doesn't go 'oh this guy's brother got some money so we better give him some to make it fair'.

But you should be able to get a bit from the government even though you're still dependent, if you move out?

Also, you're parents sound like assholes. Of course it's their money, they can do whatever they want with it. However, with your dad's better paying job they should be able to afford a little amount of money towards you. You would think your education is important to them.

But if you're not moving out, then there is really no need for free money from the government. Just work like everyone else.

kuromusha

HSC
N/A
wow, this is unbelievable. The welfare system is fucked. For the first time that children of low income parents are more advantaged.

They should have automatic deduction from my father's paycheck if the government deems that he is capable of paying and not giving me any youth allowance. They do this for child support and alimony, so why not youth allowance.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
what kind of parents don't help out their kid to pay for uni ._. I mean, I'm not expecting them to pay 100%, just some support would be nice. I guess you would just have to work part time then

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
what kind of parents don't help out their kid to pay for uni ._. I mean, I'm not expecting them to pay 100%, just some support would be nice. I guess you would just have to work part time then
Once I turn 18 I don't expect shit. What right do I deserve, I'll be an adult and should be paying my own way.

kuromusha

HSC
N/A
I don't know. I think I was a mistake...

kuromusha

HSC
N/A
1 sandwich for half the centrelink payments bb
No, I think if we move in together, we both get full payment from centrelink.

That is a good idea, I'll move in with you til I find an Asian pussy with tight fissure.

Last edited:

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
No, I think if we move in together, we both get full payment from centrelink.

That is a good idea, I'll move in with you til I find an Asian pussy with tight fissure.
Fck thought we had something special :'(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)