What requirements are needed to do veterinary medicine? (1 Viewer)

Kilowatt

HSC
Hi,

I was wondering what subjects you definitely need to do in high school to get into veterinary medicine.
I'm currently doing the following courses:
-Advanced English
-General mathematics
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Agriculture
-Hospitality

I am thinking of dropping chemistry at the end of the year though and also dropping to standard English.

Thank you!! :)

Flop21

HSC
Don't drop to standard English. It's nearly the same, and not worth it because of that (you loose the good scaling/aligning of adv english, for near no advantage).

Keep chemistry, for most sciences you'll need to do chem at uni.

Yep just confirmed on usyd site, they do chem first year. Keep it trust me and work hard on it.

Kilowatt

HSC
Also, does anyone know the ATAR required to get into vet medicine at CSU?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't drop to Standard.

Difficulty is of a similar standard.

And the aligning(proportion of people getting band 6s,5s etc) is much higher in Advanced English then for Standard English.

Last edited:

Kilowatt

HSC
Thanks!
I will definitely think more about it, the only thing is that I am horrible at chemistry. It interests me but I just can't get some of it :/

Flop21

HSC
Thanks!
I will definitely think more about it, the only thing is that I am horrible at chemistry. It interests me but I just can't get some of it :/
Cling onto that interest and work at it. You're not horrible at it, it's just you haven't studied it as much as others. Put some effort into it and I'm sure you'll find yourself doing well.

Jewls

HSC
N/A
For CSU you will need a fair bit of animal work experience in farms. They tend to hold that more highly than ATAR compared to most of the other unis. Most of the unis don't publish ATARs but might be worthwhile contacting their admissions offices. The big city unis often have entries in the high 90's while some of the more rural ones may be low 90's.

Jewls

HSC
N/A
Unfortunately a surge in vet student numbers has meant declining employment. So doing a vet degree doesn't mean you will be able to be a veterinarian.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)