HSC At Tafe Help. (1 Viewer)

IronMaiden

HSC
N/A
I am currently studying for my Year 10 School Certificate. I have had enough of being partonised by teachers and being treated like proverbial shit, I want to go where I am treated like an adult. Recently the idea of doing my HSC at TAFE was suggested to me and I have some questions.

Can I? I mean, I am in Advanced for every subject I do and I suppose I will go well in my school Certificate but is it meant for students like me?

Is it hard to do it all in one year? Not so much as hard as I am not afraid of work, just how stressing or pushy is it?

Do teachers attempt to motivate stuents and if you need help do you get it?

Proes And Cons.

I will be greatful for any reply or help.
Thankyou.
:guitar::headbang:

crimsonsabre

HSC
N/A
no, teachers don't really motivate you. you've got to motivate yourself and push yourself. there's like special centres where you can get help with work. and if you ask for help im sure the teachers will help you.

you call your teachers by their first name and they do the same.

i left school after year ten. i'm thinking of doing my hsc next year (one year) and go to uni.

when kami replies he'll answer all your questions. he's 'the man' around these forums lol.

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
IronMaiden said:
I am currently studying for my Year 10 School Certificate. I have had enough of being partonised by teachers and being treated like proverbial shit, I want to go where I am treated like an adult. Recently the idea of doing my HSC at TAFE was suggested to me and I have some questions.

Can I? I mean, I am in Advanced for every subject I do and I suppose I will go well in my school Certificate but is it meant for students like me?
You can go to TAFE, they might suggest you stay at school though as because of your age you might be in a better social environment - TAFE studies are also very compressed so they need some discipline which not everyone fresh out of year 10 has, though there are many that do, you simply have to decide how disciplined you really are.

IronMaiden said:
Is it hard to do it all in one year? Not so much as hard as I am not afraid of work, just how stressing or pushy is it?
There are three main forms of HSC at TAFE , they all give you the same qualification its just that they are delivered differently:
*Prelim year + HSC year like school except delivered by TAFE.
*Compressed studies where you do all of year 11 + 12 in all of your subjects in 3 terms - should only ever be attempted by people with a background in these subjects.
*Compressed studies but over 2 years or more. Each subject has the prelim and HSC component compressed into 3 terms, but as you only do 2 or 3 subjects in that year it is easier to keep up.

If you've just come out of the SC, you should in no way be even thinking of doing the one year compressed program - remember that its effectively 22 units(12 prelim + 10 HSC) and it will be an intense struggle to cope with the sudden change in workload, on some days you might spend a 13 hour day at TAFE if you did it this way - I myself have spent 13 hour days at TAFE while doing the 2 year version so be prepared for very heavy hours if you go this route.

IronMaiden said:
Do teachers attempt to motivate stuents and if you need help do you get it?
This is part of the TAFE ideology - you are not children and do not need prodding to get your homework done. If you need something done, you must do it out of your own will power because at the end of the day its your future.

If you need help you most certainly will get it - most TAFEs will have a service known as the ILC or ALC which is a tuition centre in maths and english(and at times science and computing) that is entirely free for TAFE students. During my HSC exam period I recieved over 15 hours in the one week for maths. You also can go to any ILC/ALC in the state once you are enrolled at TAFE. So help is offered, as long as you are proactive enough to go get it.

Many of my teachers also ran revision workshops for their students during the HSC, so depending on the faculty you could recieve something similar.

IronMaiden said:
Pros And Cons.
Pros:
*Flexible hours
*Adult environment
*Smaller(usually) classes
*Free tuition centre

Cons:
*More(usually) limited subject choices
*Not everyone has a TAFE that runs HSC around the corner
*Buy your own textbooks
*No organised social events(ie no formals, or school camps)

IronMaiden said:
I will be greatful for any reply or help.
Thankyou.
:guitar::headbang:
Your welcome.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)