TAFE IT Traineeship (1 Viewer)

Chocobo687

HSC
OK, Here is the short story. (I'm 18, almost 19 FWIW). My Head Teacher at TAFE (and trainee co0ordinator is useless for information)

I have just finished High School. Reasonably good marks, and deferred UNI for a year in BACH IT. Whilst at school I also completed CCNA1 however haven't had the chance to expand on this yet.

I have just about completed a part time school based traineeship with a small web development company. This is due to finish in June 2006. At the moment I am getting ~$10 an hour on the traineeship. I am doing roughly 14 hours a week at this traineeship and have had some problems with work being provided over the time of the traineeship. I am not interested in staying there fulltime after the traineeship.

This semester I am studying cert. 3 IT at TAFE, looking to do cert. 4 next semester.

On the side of all this, I have been doing some personal web stuff for family, friends, sporting clubs some internal sites for a couple of corporations and doing freelance for some people here and there. This off the side has turned to an almost weekly "pocket money" (I would say averaging $150 / week this year, getting ~20/hr).

I am in a situation where, I am studying, my traineeship coming to an end (contract period) and I am looking what to do next.

In the last 2 weeks I have been offered 2 jobs. One doing networking (not a pure interest I have, but something I possibly wouldn't turn down) and one doing servers, networks, repairs and retail for a local LEC Computers franchise.

Both these offerings are on a trainee basis. Now, I don't have any information really on the traineeship, but I have almost already passed the first networking one in as not interested. I am seriously contemplating my situation on the second LEC Computers one.

The franchise appears to be expanding, and the owner appears to be a reasonable bloke. I am probably going to have an interview next week about it. I know little information at this stage other than I would work for them 3 days, goto TAFE 2 days a week. From what I can get out of people, the rate of pay would actually be a little less than what I am on now. (I am getting hints around $8-$9/hr)

What I am looking for from this is.
1) Has anyone had a traineeship while doing Crt 3 / 4? Was it reasonable? Was the pay reasonable? (I am 18, 19 in June) and how long did yours last?

2) If someone has gone through C3 and C4, what was your average pay after coming out if you were employed straight away?

3) Should I be even thinking about committing myself to another company in a traineeship, or should I be trying to find work through the usual means?

4) Is it best to expand in areas, not only because I am not sure what I want to be doing, but because I am getting more experience in wider fields? (obviously my first webdev traineeship and this second LEC Computers is vastly dif.)

Any comments, suggestions or ideas are appreciate :)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I'm not up with the whole IT industry so I can't say much there, however I would advise you to check with the uni you've deferred with as to whether they will permit you to take a Cert 3 & Cert 4 as many unversities will cancel a deferred offer if you study at a tertiary level(incl TAFE at some levels) in the mean time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)