TAFE to UTS (1 Viewer)

arebesquelover

HSC
Hey everyone,

Im currently studying a Diploma in marketing at TAFE and wish to transfer to
B Business at UTS (at city campue or kuring-gai).

Im wondering if the transfer will still be possible if I dont include my UAI
with tafe results. Will Tafe results be enought to quality for a tranfer??
(assuming that I will study hard and average distinctions)

Also I'll be turning 20 in October. Perhaps I could be considered as
mature age considering UTS considers mature age as 20 yrs and over.

**Ive read a lot of topic posts about transfers from tafe to uni but im just getting confused by it all and hopefully someone can give me a direct answer.

Thanks in advance

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
If you're a mature age student then it will most likely be using only your Diploma results, if you are not a mature age student, then I believe it will be a combination of Diploma results and UAI. Either way an average will be calculated from your Diploma results and transformed into a 4 digit number like the UAI e.g xx.xx

Assuming you recieve a D average, and qualify as a mature age student then you shouldn't have any problems getting into a degree you'd like at UTS.

zstar

HSC
N/A
All you need is your Diploma (as long it's a completed one) and a personal statement (which is not compulsory but highly recommended) and because you're 20 yrs or over that also means they can also consider you as a mature age student, You're UAI is irrelevant.

All you need to do is apply through UAC online and just go through the procedures on screen.

I transferred my Dip of Internetworking to a Bach of Sci in IT to UTS and to be honest i didn't actually do that well but i'm pretty sure that you'll get a place and an offer. In fact i got an offer at UTS and MQ.

Of course i'm not sure how popular the course your trying to get to is so i think the more popular courses would be more harder to get into.

For more information go to

http://www.uts.edu.au/study/alternative.html

http://www.uts.edu.au/study/admission.html

http://www.uts.edu.au/study/pdfs/ug_crit_bus.pdf

krayzie_

HSC
YES, what they said but the personal statement is very important! Write a good one and they will look at your diploma as WELL as your statement to evaluate how suitable you are. I've known people who did not do that great in there diplomas but wrote exvccellent statements and got in.

So good luck.

arebesquelover

HSC
Thanks for your feedback guys.

Um.. from what I know apparently UTS dosn't accept personal statements
for B Business ??

Anothing thing Im not sure if i still qualify as a mature age student because I turn 20 in october and applications at UAC start in August?? When do I have to turn 20 by to be considered as a mature age student??

krayzie_

HSC
I think its optional you just need to check with your faculty but you should be able to submit it.

So you want to apply for 2008? Then from your birthday, I assume you will be 20 in 2008 so it should be fine.

7th Sign

HSC
wow where do you do marketing at,

im a 2nd year advanced diplama marketing student at tafe atm,

and I know for sure if you only fo the diploma and recieved pretty good results eg cradit average the only place that will accept you will be UWS.

if you want to get into UTS buiness you need to do the advanced diploma or you need to get a destinction average in the diploma.

I know around 6 students from the adv dip course last year were accepted into UTS this year and they dont have to do 40% of their UTS course becuase of prior learning.

arebesquelover

HSC
7th sign, Im doing it at North Sydney. What about you?

I intend to study hard and get a distinction average
to get into uni this yr, so I can get 6 months worth of credits.
Are distinctions hard to achieve? Anyhow if i end up getting credits then ill probaby just do the advanced diploma and transfer to uni then.
Either way it'll work out fine. I intend to do well in this course.

Anyway, thankyou everyone for your contrubutions you've been so helpful! :)

7th Sign

HSC
well if you just do the diploma you will deffiantly need a DESTINCTION avg,

destinctions are hard to get in the marketing course as you have alot of different aspects, some teachers will never give destinction and if you are not good at presentations then I dont know.

A girl in my class last year had only destinctions and credits in the diploma and she didnt get into UTS but UWS took her...

My advice is to try your best in the presentation, market research, strategic marketing, + be nice to teachers and you may get into UTS but it will be hard.

parts

HSC
Hey, I left school a couple of years ago and had a pretty shit UAI.

I then went on to TAFE and completed a Diploma of Business managing to get a credit average.

I applied through UAC for UTS B Business - city as my first preference and got it.

I was pretty happy about this, so it just shows that if you do well enough in your tafe course then you should not have any problems getting into UTS.

msh

HSC
it's not as easy obviously
you have to be that good to get in :burn:
for the course i applied to they had 500 or more non current school leavers going for a measly 10 non current school leaver positions :( ppl from tafe, other unis like mine (uws) other unis like unsw etc

Last edited:

sarahlouiseir

HSC
its good though,
if you totally screw up your HSC, or if your marks arent quite up to scratch,
just work hard at tafe for a year and then you can get yourself into a uni degree.
its the ultimate backdoor, blus you save yourself thousands of dollars

heavenz

HSC
N/A
Another way to get into uni through TAFE would be to do the TPC (tertiary preparation course). It only takes 1 year if you do full time study and its not extremely hard. It also prepares you well for the type of learning and skills that you'll need to succeed in 1st year uni (how to research, write reports, essays, reference, seminars, etc).

I did it in 2006, and am now at UTS.. so yeh, its a good alternative if you didnt do so well in school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)