HSC: Difference between Statement of Attainment and Certificate III? (1 Viewer)

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
What's the difference between the SoA and the CertIII, when it comes to HSC courses? Are they the same thing?
The SoA is available via OTEN (distance-ed) and the CertIII isn't.

I hope the SoA is "legit" with the BOS and all? Contributes to UAI, etc (board-developed courses, of course).

blerkles

HSC
N/A
From the OTEN Course info leaflet....

Course 6505 in HSC Studies prepares students to
obtain either a Record of Achievement for
Preliminary and HSC year or to obtain the HSC
award in New South Wales. The HSC award is
given by the Board of Studies (not TAFE) and
students must satisfy the Board of Studies
eligibility requirements. The HSC award is the
credential to mark the satisfactory completion of
Year 12 schooling in NSW.

From the TAFE site...
The statement of Attainment in HSC Studies enables students to enrol in a
minimum of 2 units of Preliminary or HSC study.

Basically, the SoA has less requirements. If you only want to do a little bit, go for the SoA, you get a pretty piece of paper from TAFE saying you have completed their course. If you want to do a little bit and you are enrolled in the Cert III, you won't get a pretty piece of paper, it requires a lot more (from the TAFE point of view) to complete that course. If you want to do the whole hog and get the Board of Studies pretty HSC piece of paper (in addition to your TAFE one) you can do it either way. Does that make sense? You can do the HSC via the SoA but you have to do way more (equiv to the Cert III, pretty much) subjects/modules/units than the bare minimum required of the SoA.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
i thought statement of attainments were only if you did a couple of subjects from that course...not the complete course?

i'd ask a tafe course coordinator to be sure.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
ambermorn said:
i thought statement of attainments were only if you did a couple of subjects from that course...not the complete course?
That's what I've always known it as.
In year 11 for IT I got the statement of attainment showing the units I've completed and that would be my 'qualification' for not completing the course and when we finished the course in year 12 and I continuted with it I got he Certifiacte 2.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
If the SoA requires 2 modules in order to get your pretty TAFE certificate, that's all you have to do to get it. If you do (say) 200 modules in the same SoA, you still get the same pretty TAFE SoA certificate (going way beyond what is required for that bit) plus also (if you wangle it right) qualify for the Dept of Ed's HSC. Not sure why OTEN don't just offer the Cert III as well then, since they would get more funding/kudos for having graduates in higher level courses.

For non-HSC related courses (normal TAFE courses): If you don't get concession rates for TAFE (i.e. not on Centrelink benefits), it usually works out cheaper to do lots of subjects under a SoA, then only in your final semester enrol in a higher course e.g. diploma to finish that off. (But not all areas have a SoA available, not all SoA are 'all encompassing' in their range of subjects and not all have nicely nested qualifications --> SoA + bit extra = Cert I.... + bit extra = Cert II.... + bit extra = Cert III... etc.) Work the system if you can, I say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)