HSC at TAFE: what age group are most people? (1 Viewer)

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I'm probably going to enrol to do the HSC at Randwick TAFE this year.

I am 27 years old.. (a bit late I know, but I decided to try for my dream.. Vet Science at uni).

What age groups do the (daytime/fulltime) HSC courses at uni? I'm worried I'll enrol and find myself with a classroom of teenagers and maybe just 1-2 other 'adults'. Nothing against teenagers - I just don't want to feel like the only oldie who has missed their boat!

moc2009

HSC
N/A
Why not do the TPC instead - it's 1 year instead of 2 years and it gets you into Uni, plus when you apply for Uni you won’t be competing against every HSC student.

The HSC classes I have seen at TAFE seem to have mostly just teenagers.

I did the TPC, I’m 24 and did it last year, people in my classes ranged from 19 to 60.

Have a look at the TPC, it just might suit you better (will get you into Uni a year quicker too)

Good Luck

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the idea.. but because the uni course I want to do has assumed knowledge of HSC level mathematics, biology, chemistry and physics.. I figure I may as well do the HSC.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Should mostly be teenagers. I checked some TAFEs out such as Hornsby one. Yes, it has mostly teenagers. As a matter of fact, I haven't seen any "oldie" but that's just me because I just a made a visit once there....

moc2009

HSC
N/A
midnightmint said:
Thanks for the idea.. but because the uni course I want to do has assumed knowledge of HSC level mathematics, biology, chemistry and physics.. I figure I may as well do the HSC.
The TPC does Math's, Biology, Chemistry and Physics - at HSC level.

When you get the TPC subject sheet it tells you what is equiv to HSC, for example,

LALS A + LALS B = HSC English,
Foundation Mathematics (A) + Advanced Mathemetics (B) = HSC Maths (there are different levels of Maths you can pick in the TPC)

it's like that with most of the subjects.

Here is the link to Randwick (with list of subjects you can pick at the bottom)

http://www.sit.nsw.edu.au/courses/search.php?cid=23003&area=courses&Media_Index_ID=111

Last edited:

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
I didnt realise that the TPC offered maths, science subjects etc.. I thought it was all "real life" / "working environment" type subjects.

I just double checked the degree I'd like to get into.. you can only get straight into it if you have done your HSC and have a UAI.. the TPC won't get you into it (via mature age entry). The TPC does get you into some degrees - I'd have to do a year in a different degree and then transfer.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I would have suggested the TPC myself as I'm also a TPC graduate, however Sydney only accepts it for some courses as you've found.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
Randwick tafe allows you to complete 10 or more units in 1 year just like a high school. To my knowledge it is the only tafe that does this.

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
The Limited UAI won't get me into the degree I want to do. Only full HSC/UAI.

Also.. I know you can do 10 units at Randwick TAFE.. but that is the same as a normal Yr 12 at school... I haven't done Yr 11 or Yr 12 before, so I think I'd have to do about 22 units in a year... does anyone cater to that?

It is my understanding that you still have to complete all 12 preliminary units (Yr 11) before doing the 10 HSC units.. is that right?

piitb

HSC
if you do nite time tafe there would be more old people.

day time would be mainly teenagers. either way who cares

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
The Limited UAI won't get me into the degree I want to do. Only full HSC/UAI.

Also.. I know you can do 10 units at Randwick TAFE.. but that is the same as a normal Yr 12 at school... I haven't done Yr 11 or Yr 12 before, so I think I'd have to do about 22 units in a year... does anyone cater to that?

It is my understanding that you still have to complete all 12 preliminary units (Yr 11) before doing the 10 HSC units.. is that right?
Many of the subjects they offer are combined prelim+hsc in the 1 year, meaning it doesn't matter if you have or have not done year 11 before.

I think this is why all other tafes don't allow this. They think its too hard for people seeing you're doing all the work in 3 terms opposed to 7 terms (not including term 4 of year 12 when exams are on). Really though, its easy (imo). Most prelim work doesn't carry on into year 12 content except subjects like maths. They just do a quick skim through it at the start.

Edit: here's a link - http://www.sit.nsw.edu.au/courses/search.php?cid=23012&area=randwick&Media_Index_ID=46

Last edited:

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
Just to update..

Randwick and Ultimo TAFE coordinators do not offer/allow full HSC to be done in 1yr (if the student hasnt already studied or attempted some HSC before).

I have enrolled in TPC at Randwick (full time, 1 yr) and am also doing Companion Animal Services at Ultimo (1 day p/wk, 1 yr).

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
Full HSC is over 2 yrs. Might be able to do 1yr if you've done some Yr 11 study before or attempted (but failed or got a bad result) in HSC.

The TPC is 1 yr full time.. or you can do it part time, over up to 5 years.

If Ultimo or Randwick ever offered a 1yr intensive course (for people who had never attempted Yr 11 or 12), then they do not seem to know about it or offer it now.

You can do a "reduced/limited HSC" which means you're not doing the "whole" HSC, you only do 5-9 units over what I think is 1 yr.

But TAFE told me that generally only teenagers do the "HSC" type courses... and all the adults do TPC. I'm 27 so I'm doing the TPC.. because realistically I won't really click with teenagers for a year.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
I was asking whether it was two years because I was wondering whether there was any chance they offer an accelerated HSC equivalent. I just went and re-read the whole thread to remind myself what we all talked about before. :)

So will the "TPC + the Companion Animal Services" combination be adequate for Vet Sci entry? Or will you then have to do what you mentioned before, that is do a year in a different degree then transfer?

because realistically I won't really click with teenagers for a year.
haha I understand.

Last edited:

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
So will the "TPC + the Companion Animal Services" combination be adequate for Vet Sci entry? Or will you then have to do what you mentioned before, that is do a year in a different degree then transfer?
Still have to do a year in a diff degree (perhaps Animal & Veterinary Bioscience or just a normal Science degree) and then transfer.

But my chances of getting into any of the animal/vet degrees will be increased if I can demonstrate an interest/more experience in that field, when I apply - hence the idea to do Companion Animal Services 1 day p/wk at TAFE while I do my TPC. It's only a minor certificate course, but everything adds up/helps in the end.. will probably register to be a WIRES rescuer as well.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Still have to do a year in a diff degree (perhaps Animal & Veterinary Bioscience or just a normal Science degree) and then transfer.

But my chances of getting into any of the animal/vet degrees will be increased if I can demonstrate an interest/more experience in that field, when I apply - hence the idea to do Companion Animal Services 1 day p/wk at TAFE while I do my TPC. It's only a minor certificate course, but everything adds up/helps in the end.. will probably register to be a WIRES rescuer as well.
Yeah as I understand it, as part of the application, you'd have a much stronger case if you can show similar or related work.

A neighbour of mine is a vet. She had worked as a veterinary nurse at RSPCA for years and she said when she applied for the vet sci course, it was her experience that placed her on top of the list.

random boy

HSC
Hey its actually funny you post this. Im a teen going into the HSC at TAFE next year for '2010 and alot of people told me that im going to be the youngest (il be 16) and that ill be surrounded by middle aged people (not that it bothers me lol) So yeah i thik it depends greatly on your campus and timetable.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
You can do a Bioscience degree (think RMIT offer it) via Open Uni by distance... no entry requirements or just some of the intro subjects to get you started... might give you some credit along the way. www.open.edu.au

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)