TPC: Attendance and Scaling of B modules (2 Viewers)

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
Hi

Can anyone tell me if your attendance matters in a TPC course? i.e. do I have to attend a minimum amount of classtime (e.g. 80% of enrolled hours) to achieve my certificate?

If so, does that mean (80% or whatever amount) of EACH subject, or just the course as a whole?

I've been missing a lot of classes.

Also, can someone tell me which B modules are scaled up/down, and if any are scaled dramatically?

If you only just get a pass in a subject (e.g. 50 out of 100), can that potentially be scaled down to a Fail?

"A" modules arent scaled are they?

I am studying:

2U maths (Prelim, Foundation and Calculus- Calculus is the only B module)
Chemistry A & B
Biology A & B
LALS A & B
Language and the Creative Arts A
Film Studies, Literature or Historical Studies B
Computing A
Physics A and possibly B

How are they scaled?

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
At my TAFE there were only minimum attendence requirements if you were receiving Centrelink payments (75% of classes). If you don't attempt an assessment item that's an instant fail from memory, so don't miss assessment days! You really should be getting into the habit of attending at least 80% of classes, in further study (especially uni) a lot of courses have minimum attendence requirements otherwise it's an instant fail. Plus I have had friends kicked out of courses for non attendence in the past. I'd double check of course with your course coordinator, especially if you have a legitimate reason to be missing classes.

Only B modules are scaled, A modules are not. Of my subjects in my TPC (2007), Biology B scaled up for me 5%, LALS stayed the same and my Further Maths in Context scaled down for me 3% (so Calculus will scale up I think as it's more advanced). We didn't run Chem or Physics at our campus but I'd assume it'd scale up as well considering Bio did. No idea about the humanities B's, but all my cohort who did them did incredibly well in the 90's (one received a perfect TES of 300). I know you guys don't get much info about the scaling until you actually get the results, it's very frustrating! Good luck.

melodic_gal

HSC
I finished TPC last year.. well the B subjects are the ones that are scaled. at my tafe I was told that maths + science scaled 5% up and English and Humanities scaled down 5 %. That what happened to my scores last year .

AM_092

HSC
N/A
So, it's not true that LALS is scaled up because it's a compulsory subject? That's what my teachers tell me! Which kind of makes sense which the TER/TES (?) is based on LALS + 2 other B modules... I don't know. My other B modules are Literature, Chemistry B and Use Mathematics in a Range of Contexts.

HSC
N/A
Don't ask your teacher, ask the TPC co-ordinator. Teachers don't know anything about that stuff, they think they do but they're usually wrong.

Last edited:

AM_092

HSC
N/A
Ok, so I haven't got my transcripts yet, but from emailing my teachers, my (raw) marks for b B subjects are: 100 (LALS), 90 (Literature) and 75 (Chemistry). So, they will be scaled? I spoke to a student who started mid-semester last year (finishing up this year with me), and she said that you don't actually get a letter or anything telling you your TER/TES, and you basically calculate it yourself by getting the average on your top 3 marks from your transcripts. She also said they're not scaled, so my (scaled) marks will still be 100, 90 and 75?? Thank you to anyone who can help :) Teachers aren't a great help and neither is my TPC co-ordinator.

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
From what I gather, all we receive is a certificate (saying we've completed the TPC) and a transcript of our raw marks for each subject.

To my knowledge, TAFE then "scale" the raw marks and produce a TES, which is (possibly only) divulged to UAC.

UAC "convert" it to an equivalent UAI, and that is what universities see when considering your application.

I think that all of your marks will be scaled up; because science subjects (Chem) get scaled up apparently.. and you did so well in your other two subjects that they would be scaled up anyway (except LALS, which I don't think can be scaled up if you've already gotten 100%).

AM_092

HSC
N/A
Hey, thanks!! That's sounds pretty clear and a lot more plausible than things I've been hearing. I suspected that we won't actually know our TES and that only UAC/TAFE knows. I got my fingers crossed and hope my lower chemistry mark is scaled, considerably the raw mark is so much lower than my other marks. If it's basically the average of my three B's, my mark would be only 88 - and I'm not quite happy with that :) Thanks again.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
As far as I remember, from my TPC results sheet, both my raw and scaled marks were reported... this was back in 2007 though.

AM_092

HSC
N/A
As far as I remember, from my TPC results sheet, both my raw and scaled marks were reported... this was back in 2007 though.
On the transcripts? Oh, I hope I see both marks on mine too :) Gotta wait another week.

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
Someone snuck me a copy of my transcript.. it has the raw marks on there and a field for the scaled marks, but they're not on there yet.

Mz.Utai

HSC
Hey guys,
I just finished the TPC this year and was wondering if anyone knows when we get our results by mail. I have got some of my marks for assessments from my teachers although I'm not sure when the results will be sent. Thank you

Good luck to everyone!!!

AM_092

HSC
N/A
Well, according to a TAFE letter I received about the possibility of re-enroling, it's the 23rd of Dec. I had a great year doing TPC this year!! Which tafe's did you guy complete your certificates?? I went to Liverpool College.

Mz.Utai

HSC
Thanks for that, I hope so :) I can't wait I'm so anxious to know!!
I had a great year too, I really enjoyed it!! well i went to bankstown college, its crap i know but it was a good experience.

AM_092

HSC
N/A
Just gotta wait for the transcripts and the uac offers in January :) This year's gone by so quick. Better get ready for uni.

Mz.Utai

HSC
True that, it flew!!! Goodluck with your plans next year :)

felixxy

HSC
N/A
the Tpc results (raw marks) are now available in TAFE portal, simply by using your tafe computer user name and password to log in:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)