Enrolling (1 Viewer)

frenchy

How do you enrol into TAFE?
I'm considering doing an Enrolled nurses course since i didnt get a high enough uai.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
You turn up on the campus of your choice and ask the information officier and they will tell uyou the procedure.

Which campus r u thinking of doin it at ?

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
I recommend the first week of January as this is the time where most ppl apply for the courses for 2004.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Also i think at Ultimo you do Nursing at Building D if my memory serves me right.
The Information Office is facing Harris St entrance also on Building D.

s_a

Originally posted by Mr Wiggle
I recommend the first week of January as this is the time where most ppl apply for the courses for 2004.
So does this mean I can still apply for TAFE next year?

When do TAFE courses start? Or is it different for each course.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Yes, they always say courses fill up quickly but if you come and enroll they will always accept you as they get more money for more student enrolled.

TAFE courses start on the second week of feb of each year but some courses like design start earlier.

Also if your on Centrelink benefit you can get a course exemption so make sure ask the information officer about it.

IP_freely

evo 9 ftw
HSC
u enrol on the 28th of Jan an 2nd of Feb not the 1st week of Jan

s_a

Thanks Mr Wiggle and IP_Freely, you've both been very helpful.

I've got a TAFE booklet now and Enrolment day for new students is on Friday 30 January and Monday 2 February 2004.

Semester 1 for 2004 begins on Monday 9 February!

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
U guys kidding??? You can still enrol at this late a date. I called 2 TAFE's down here - all places were taken up for the Cert. IV in Health (nursing) so I looked up on the net - application dates for ???? (early in the yr) 2004 closed Oct 31st *I think* well it was around that time. Was told to call back in Feb to enrol for Jul 04 (that is if I don't get into Uni).

s_a

Hey Blue Sky, for some courses you must apply before Friday 31 October 2003... (I just had a look at my booklet, and I cannot find Cert. IV in Health (Nursing) for TAFE in the South Western Sydney region). My guess is that the course you're after requires you to apply before the closing date (31 October 2003).

For many other courses, you don't need to apply. Instead, they say you can "enrol.. [at] the college that offers your course on Friday 30 January or Monday 2 February 2004".

I've got the Western Sydney region TAFE booklet, so it may be different for other regions, including yours.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by bluesky100
U guys kidding??? You can still enrol at this late a date. I called 2 TAFE's down here - all places were taken up for the Cert. IV in Health (nursing) so I looked up on the net - application dates for ???? (early in the yr) 2004 closed Oct 31st *I think* well it was around that time. Was told to call back in Feb to enrol for Jul 04 (that is if I don't get into Uni).

I noticed that u are from Victoria so the TAFE system is different from NSW and i think you have to go through VTAC for TAFE entry but here in NSW you almost pretty much enrol whenever cause most courses have vacancy even though it's full because lots of people drop out before the course finishes.

frenchy

So for nursing (cert IV enrolled nurse) in Sydney you didnt have to apply before the Oct 31st deadline, right?

Also what do you think of the likelyhood of enrolled nursing places filling up quickly. I know i should enrol as quickly as possibly but if i do have a chance of recieving an offer in the late round (feb 2) for uni, should i delay enrolling into tafe until that day? Or just go for the jan 30th to enrol?

Anyone know if theres any extra fees for the course, besides the $750?

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by frenchy
So for nursing (cert IV enrolled nurse) in Sydney you didnt have to apply before the Oct 31st deadline, right?
Yes thats right.

Originally posted by frenchy
[B
Also what do you think of the likelyhood of enrolled nursing places filling up quickly. I know i should enrol as quickly as possibly but if i do have a chance of recieving an offer in the late round (feb 2) for uni, should i delay enrolling into tafe until that day? Or just go for the jan 30th to enrol?

Anyone know if theres any extra fees for the course, besides the $750? [/B]
The chances of filling up quickly is less likely as it's IMO a less popular course and also at TAFE it accepts appliant at the beginning of semester and and half way through the year.
Don't delay enrolling at Tafe because your waiting for an offer because you could miss out on TAFE if you don't get a uni offer as the courses could be full.
Also if you do enrol and get a uni offer you can get a refund from your enrolment money by showing your uni offer as you haven't started the course yet.

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Sorry for getting back so late - thanks for the info s_a and Mr Wiggle. When applying for TAFE in Vic apparently you apply directly to the TAFE of your choice - not tertiary admissions. I too, thought we (Victorians) applied through VTAC until my Mum informed me otherwise. Checked out a few TAFE sites in Victoria and they do have their own enrollment forms in PDF format on the web.

Could have always done the same w/TAFE as I did for Uni - apply to an interstate TAFE. But in the I'd much prefer to apply in Feb & wait until the July course commences. ;)

frenchy

Does any one know why in the TAFE handbook that it doesnt list Enrolled Nursing at Ultimo, but on the TAFE website it does?

s_a

Well I don't have an idea why, but it IS there in the website, I just checked..

I thought maybe it was a new course, but I didn't find anything like that.

Hmm. So it's an unsolved mystery.

I found information on your course though, if you haven't seen it yet.

1. Go here: http://www.sit.nsw.edu.au/colleges/index.php?Page=7&Select=47&Seq=6
2. Scroll down to "Course Areas" and choose "Dental and Nursing".
3. A page will pop-up, and "Nursing (Enrolled Nurse) will be at the very top.
4. Click on "more" and another window would open, and there you have it, all the information on "Nursing (Enrolled Nurse)".

Oh. Make sure your handbook was the Ultimo one? Otherwise, I haven't got a clue haha.

Dingo

Banned
ok heres one thing i dont get about tafe
whats all this
certificate I
certificate II
certificate III
certificate IV
Diploma
Advanced Diploma

what is all dat shit?
i thought u had to start from the bottom cert and work your way up. But my friend from school got accepted into Diploma of business, and he just finished his hsc.. das wack.. i dont get it.. wats the point of the certificates then??

peace^^

s_a

Here's an excerpt from the TAFE booklet I have:

"Certificates Level 1 to Level IV
These courses teach you introductory skills for some occupations (Cert I) to more advanced skills, including supervisory skills and advanced technical skills (Cert IV).

Diploma/Advanced Diploma
These courses prepare you for professional work requiring a broad range of complex technical skills and in-depth knowledge. They often include training in management, planning and evaluation, budgeting and finance as well as the knowledge and skills of the occupational area."

I guess that excerpt should answer your questions. <B>Different certificate levels give you different levels of qualification</B>. It can cater to what qualification you really need, instead of having to do more than you have to.

Dingo

Banned
its wierd how i know people who do certificate II, then certificate IV, then Diploma, and that altogether takes 2 years
then they goto uni and start 2nd year...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)