TPC Maths subjects (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Hey I am a bit confused. Or maybe I just really badly picked the wrong subjects!! :spzz:

I decided on doing Foundation Maths A, but I want to do another B module. Is the Advanced Maths B the B module to this????

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
No, Calculus is.

Foundation Maths (A Module) --> Calculus (2 Unit) (B Module) --> Advanced Maths (B Module) (3/4 Unit)

I believe calculus must be completed before attempting Advanced Maths but if you're gifted they'll allow you to attempt Advanced Maths.

It's up to them.

Btw not many people do advanced maths (max 1 or 2 people), chances are you'll have to do it in the ILC one on one with the maths teacher and in your own time (it's hard yakka i kid you not). I quit that shit real quick and switched to further maths in context, got 98 i was quite happy with that.

Calculus and further maths in enough to get you thru uni depending on what u plan to study

Advanced maths is there for individuals aiming to study astrophysics, math teaching etc

HSC
N/A
Don't you have to complete Calculus A before Calculus B?

Gah! So confusing. I should have just picked something simple like Statistics.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
there is no calculus a, it's foundation maths... now im going back abit so they may have changed the course... tell me what subjects are listed in your tpc guide relating to maths

what subjects are you attempting, and what A modules have you completed?

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Preliminary Mathematics (A) Calculus(B)
Statistics (A) Statistics (B)
Foundation Mathematics (A) Advanced Mathemetics (B)

Thats what was on the website, but a lot of the subjects on offer on the website are no longer there.

So according to this, AM is the B module of FM which sounds a little off to me.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Ok, nothing has changed.

Listen, if you complete Foundation A you can opt to study either Calculus or Advanced Mathematic B, or both at the same time.

A modules must be completed before attempting B modules thus A modules are prerequisites.

Now, tell me what subjects you've studied and completed and I'll assist you to develop a program of study which will best prepare you for your course of interest.
I need to know:

- What A modules you have completed and passed?
- What you plan to study at university?
- Which university you plan to apply to?
- What colour underwear you're wearing? I'm joking with that one, it's optional.

When you've developed a program of study, take it to the course coordinator and discuss your options. This way you're better prepared when you enter the course.

Regards,

- Bacilli

HSC
N/A
I haven't started yet, but I was told it's ok to change in the first week if I want.

The A's I have selected are:

Physics A
Biology A
Chemistry A
LALS A
Foundation Maths

I am debating between studying Geology or Astronomy. I have a high enough UAI for both but I am doing this course because it's been a good 7 years since I finished high school and my sciences are a little rusty,

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
jesus christ that's a heart attack and a half right there
This is how it works; you will complete the subjects you've listed above this semester coming up (July to Dec). After completed and passed, you will complete the B modules during the start of 2010 (Feb to June) and apply to university mid-year 2010. There's another 2 options if you wish to apply to university for 2010 admission (first semester). You can either complete A's and B's at the same time, gain your Tertiary Admission Score (TES) and apply to UAC, or apply with your UAI.

If you are planning to complete both A's and B's at the same time (given your interests) I recommend LALS A & B, Foundation Maths A & Advanced Maths B, Chem A and Physics A and B.

Good luck with your studies but IMO I think you're planning to do too much considering it's been some time since you've studied. TPC is not easy so talk things over with the course coordinator during first week and things will work out.

Regards,

Bacilli

HSC
N/A
I was planning on dropping one if it all gets too much. What to ditch is the hard part.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
bio, not really required given your interests... also be advised that not all subjects are offered during semester 1, semester 2 is OK but semester 1 the interest just isn't there for B modules...

Its basic bio anyway, microorganisms, photosynthesis... you could do a 5 minute bridging course at uni and learn more bio then what u did in tafe, but that said, the maths and phys/chem will have your head down...

good luck mate

HSC
N/A
I don't like Bio, well, I kinda do but it was never my forté (ie: I never showed up to class).

What should I bring on my first day? Obviously a pen and notebook but is there anything else I will need?

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
yer pen, paper and plastic sleeves... also take along your enrollment form so you can get a tafe card..

lunch money too
and scientific calculator is required for maths and science... :) you excited? nervous? its cool, you'll be alrite

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
My very tiny campus never offered Calculus or Advanced Maths. We went from either Prelim or Foundation to Further Maths in Context (which was lots of fun, actually!)

Good luck with your TPC and yes, bring lots of plastic sleeves, teachers love giving out worksheets!

HSC
N/A
Will do!

Not really nervous. The teacher that interviewed me said that 70% of people will have dropped out by week 6 which is a little alarming :eek:

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Will do!

Not really nervous. The teacher that interviewed me said that 70% of people will have dropped out by week 6 which is a little alarming :eek:
Yeah, a lot of people don't complete the course, but 70% by week 6 is a high drop out rate! I guess some people realise the course isn't for them, others struggle with the workload. Some only sign up to a TAFE course for Centrelink benefits instead of an interest in the course...then they realise that TAFE is not a free ride and drop out (though in competitive courses like the TPC, these people are usually screened out before enrollment).

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Yeah, a lot of people don't complete the course, but 70% by week 6 is a high drop out rate! I guess some people realise the course isn't for them, others struggle with the workload. Some only sign up to a TAFE course for Centrelink benefits instead of an interest in the course...then they realise that TAFE is not a free ride and drop out (though in competitive courses like the TPC, these people are usually screened out before enrollment).
So true. From what I remember, we had near 30 students in LALS A. By the end of the semester there was prob around 15. At the start of semester 2 12 people signed up for LALS B, by the end of semester 2 there were 5 people left... 4 passed (glad to say I was one of them).

You can spot a Centrelink hog a mile away... they usually ask for a spare pen or piece of paper... :rofl:

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
I have done Preliminary Maths A.

Just wondering if there is any other (1) unit that I can do which will bring me up to a level that is recognised by universities as "two unit mathematics"?

My TAFE (Randwick) said 2U is classified as Preliminary Maths A + Foundation Maths A + Calculus B.

But today I heard a rumour that someone at Ultimo was told they could achieve "2 unit maths" by only doing Preliminary Maths A + Statistics B. Is that true?

HSC
N/A
I think you need to do Stats A before doing the B module.

I am doing Foundation maths and we are covering pretty much everything in the 2U Maths HSC textbook I bought.

Or so my teacher says :)

Pretty sure he also said you have to do Foundation Maths before you can do any other maths (except Stats A, of course)

forgive me if I am wrong....

I am at Ultimo BTW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)