Repeating HSC via Tafe by Distance or High school? (1 Viewer)

Branick

HSC
So I'm looking at completely redoing my HSC, Prelim Included, to do the subjects I should have done, and get the marks i should have got. From what I understand, whether I were to repeat at the local Public school or the Local Tafe, both paths would take two years. From what I've read I understand that the Tafe option can be done in 12 months but it is advised against.

However, the Grafton tafe only does the HSC course by distance. SO my question is, if I were to redo the HSC, would I be better off doing it by distance at the tafe, or at a High School. I'd like to hear anyones experiences of possibly having done the HSC by distance at tafe, and / or experiences in general of repeating their HSC.

I am looking not only at uni, but applying officer entry in the Defence Force, if i were to repeat. Putting aside the defence force, is there any point repeating for an improved mark, when I will be 20 by the time I finish, and most uni's accept people on the STAT test at age 21? Thanks guys

ay0_x

HSC
So I'm looking at completely redoing my HSC, Prelim Included, to do the subjects I should have done, and get the marks i should have got. From what I understand, whether I were to repeat at the local Public school or the Local Tafe, both paths would take two years. From what I've read I understand that the Tafe option can be done in 12 months but it is advised against.

However, the Grafton tafe only does the HSC course by distance. SO my question is, if I were to redo the HSC, would I be better off doing it by distance at the tafe, or at a High School. I'd like to hear anyones experiences of possibly having done the HSC by distance at tafe, and / or experiences in general of repeating their HSC.

I am looking not only at uni, but applying officer entry in the Defence Force, if i were to repeat. Putting aside the defence force, is there any point repeating for an improved mark, when I will be 20 by the time I finish, and most uni's accept people on the STAT test at age 21? Thanks guys
TAFE is not advised against for 12 months, it's okay for 12 months.. just not 6 months. (you could do it in 6 months before but hardly any tafes even offer it anymore).

It's very hard to learn by distance for many people. Self-guided learning isn't for everybody.

I don't recommend doing it at a high school because age difference can be a major deterrent in your social life @ the school. In terms of wellbeing.. I really don't think you should go for that option.

that said I'm against repeating the HSC all together unless you want to do a course like Medicine. There is a course named TPC (Tertiary Preparation Course) which has HSC-like subjects (maths, biology, physics etc), that you can do at TAFE. At the end of the course you get a UAI but please bear in mind not ALL unis accept it (UNSW and USYD are snobs) and not for all courses (ie Medicine etc).

You should look at doing the TPC and the STAT test to better your chances. It is a 12 month course and teaches you a lot of 'uni' skills.

Good luck in deciding what you want to do.

Branick

HSC
If it were available to me, then I would definately be looking seriously into the TPC. Unfortunately however no Tafe anywhere near me offers the course.

It's very hard to learn by distance for many people. Self-guided learning isn't for everybody.
Thats the thing that has worried me. I very much want to repeat it, as I don't really see many other choices for myself, but I don't particularly wanna be that one creepy old guy. And as for the Distance education, all I've ever heard or read by friends doing HSC subjects online or people doing distance Tafe is that it's extremely difficult.

I'm not sure what to do x]

ay0_x

HSC
If it were available to me, then I would definately be looking seriously into the TPC. Unfortunately however no Tafe anywhere near me offers the course.

Thats the thing that has worried me. I very much want to repeat it, as I don't really see many other choices for myself, but I don't particularly wanna be that one creepy old guy. And as for the Distance education, all I've ever heard or read by friends doing HSC subjects online or people doing distance Tafe is that it's extremely difficult.

I'm not sure what to do x]
Yikes, whereabouts do you live? Even Dubbo offers TPC so I'm guessing it's a smaller town than that?

Distance-anything education is difficult. Really the only thing I can think of is for you to move =\

umakaka

HSC
N/A
I have just finished my 2009 HSC and is thinking of redo-ing some of the subjects again @ liverpool tafe to get a better ATAR, keeping some of my highest marks. I'm just wondering if i HAVE to do preliminary and HSC together in one year. i just want to do yr 12 HSC :S or is this depending on which tafe i go to?

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Open Uni's is another window of opportunity: it will get you a degree from Macq/Curtin/UniSa/Griffith/Murdoch etc that will help you get into the defence force but have no entry requirements but you do have to have the balls to deal with distance ed learning. I would recommend the logistics degree from RMIT through Open Uni's.... defence forces always need more logistics people (coming from an Army wife here).
www.open.edu.au (have to wait 3 months for the next intake though)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)