Transfer To Uni question... (1 Viewer)

layzie bone

I notice that there is another thread like this, but it has got me confused from reading it, and I am currently suffering from a major headache.

The story of my problem goes...
I am currently doing a Bachelor of Science course at University of Western Sydney at Camptown, and I'm starting to hate it, because of two things...

1) I never intended to do science but that was the only thing I was offered so I just chose it for the sake of pleasing my parents that I'm going to a uni, and the fact that I thought I could transfer to a better course in a semesters time.

2) Travel to Macarthur is a F**king pain in the anus, trains are constantly delayed and so it would take me 2 hours to get to Macarthur instead of the supposed 1 hour that rarely happens to me.

3) Timetable for chemistry is also a F**king pain in the anus because I have to go to lectures at 8am in the f**king morning. I know I am complaining too much since there are people worst off, but that's me and I'm not them so I don't know how they feel.

So right now I am getting sick of travelling to Camptown/Macarthur, and already lost in Chemistry and Biology, so I know my chances of transfering are slim, even if I tried. I was thinking today that if I went to TAFE to do a course on Hospitality I could get a HD (hopefully) and go to a better uni by the end of the term...

So can I transfer to uni after scoring high marks at TAFE for the rest of this year and apply for the UAC thing with my recent TAFE marks? Or do I have to finish the entire 2 years course so I could go to Sydney Uni?

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by layzie bone

I am currently doing a Bachelor of Science course at University of Western Sydney at Camptown, and I'm starting to hate it, because of two things...
I think you mean Campbelltown ?? maybe you shortened it.

First of all i think you should stick out the course and get a CR to transfer in to another course at UWS with it's 'Garranteed internal transfer scheme'. Beware that this method only requires a semester. If you are going to another Uni then a Distinction is required as i assumed your UAI was not very high due to the low cut off of B Sci but with this combined your new rank of NRSL will make the cut off of that course if your applying for a course where the demand is not high. eg if going for law at Usyd then forget it as your new NRSL will never reach it.

Secondly: The Hospitality course at TAFE requires 2 years to complete so you cannot apply for a transfer at the end of the term you will have to wait untill the end of your Diploma for the chance to apply for UNI as UNI's don't accept applicants who have not finish their TAFE Diploma. So you will have to wait for 2 years for the chance to go to USYD on a new NRSL rank and not after this year.

suz

HSC
yeah stick with your UWS course and then transfer after a semester

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
personally i think you should stick to your course and then try and transfer

but whatever you do, do it before the end of the month (HECS census thingy)

layzie bone

Keyword here is TRY to transfer, you need credit average for internal transfer right? So I already know the possibility of that is slim.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Keyword here is TRY to transfer, you need credit average for internal transfer right? So I already know the possibility of that is slim.
a c av. wouldnt be that hard to obtain, even if u suck in the subject area, just a little work each nite shood c decent marks come ur way

ps. what subjects r u doin

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
It's not hard to obtain a CR but it does require you to do a bit of work each night such as 1- 2 Hrs of reading and doing the HW required for the next class.

layzie bone

Originally posted by hipsta_jess
a c av. wouldnt be that hard to obtain, even if u suck in the subject area, just a little work each nite shood c decent marks come ur way

ps. what subjects r u doin
Chemistry 1
Biology 1
Fundamentals of Maths
Foundations of Asia

2 of the four are ok, but its the two science subjects that p!sses me off. Oh BTW, you did tell me that whatever I do, I gotta do it before the end of the month, does that mean if I leave uni at the end of this month then I don't gotta pay?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Oh BTW, you did tell me that whatever I do, I gotta do it before the end of the month, does that mean if I leave uni at the end of this month then I don't gotta pay?
as long as you have officially dropped out by the 31st of march, you wont have to pay any HECS

layzie bone

Cool, thanks alot... I'm very close to making my final decision now.. There is a high possibility that I will leave uni and if i get a job then I will focus on that until semesta 2 of TAFE starts, then I will get a diploma then get to uni and continue with the same course and probably get PHD or something... I know its kinda stupid, but I guess its my choice.

Thanks alot...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
yeah, whatever you decide it will be the right decision for you, not anyone else on the boards or anyone else in your life
just make sure you officially withdraw, dont just stop going, coz then you will get a big bill.

soso

HSC
N/A
You could consider leaving and doing a Tertiary Preparation Certificate at TAFE.

If you work you can get 85-90 and most universities will take you. There may be still time to apply. I know a student who did 1st year computing at charles sturt, didn't like it but didn't have good enough marks to get to ANU. He did TPC got 90 and in like flynn. Felt it taught him many skills he didn't have but needed at UNI

Under HECS you could apply for the diploma of languages at Macquarie, do a semester and then transfer internally

What subjects did you really want to do?

soso

HSC
N/A
SUbjects in diploma of languages are more culture based and easy

layzie bone

Can you give me more information about that please? Like how do I apply for diploma of languages, does it require UAI (and how much UAI)? Any information would do...

and how long does TPC last for? One year of half a year? I heard not all unis accept that.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Can you give me more information about that please? Like how do I apply for diploma of languages, does it require UAI (and how much UAI)? Any information would do...
The types of languages are easy because your learning from right the beginning and all the grammer needed to speak that languages. I think the best anology is like studing the beginners language course for the HSC.
These type of courses does not require a UAI as a TAFE policy does not require UAI as a course entry.
To do these course you have to go to your local TAFE college and find out weather they offer it and i think they a few times a year so i think you still enrol now.

and how long does TPC last for? One year of half a year? I heard not all unis accept that.
TPC usually go for 1 year but you can do it for longer if you do not have the time to do it full itme.
TPC is accepted as a form of entry to all Uni's but some conditions are placed on it such as you cannot seek entry to high demand courses eg. Law, Medicine, Pharmacy.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by santaslayer
how come ur doing asia studies when ur doing a B Science?
I think you can do it as part of your General education unit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)