Anyone try OTEN Institute of TAFE (1 Viewer)

soso

HSC
N/A
Anyone doing OTEN distance education. What is it like?

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
I know a few friends who did it through this methods it is very hard and the motivation required needs to be very high.

One friend who did it did the impossible and made it in to Medicine at UNSW and got 99.85 but if you look at the way he studied it was absolute crazy he did up to 8 hrs day.

Another did it and drop out just before the exams and didn't mange to finish her assignments on time.

I wouldn't think of this study method unless something extreme prevented you from attending regular mainstream classes as you tend to bludge cause no one is pushing you and you have all those spare time which can be distracting then a gift.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
I did OTEN and SSDEC (?) at high school for economics and french ext. It's hard work and you have to motivate yourself.. theres no teacher standing over the top of you all the time to tell you to study or do your assignments.

It's not for everyone for sure.

deluded

My mum's doing a level 3 child care thingy with OTEN.
She doesn't seem to think much of it. But if you're able to to motivate yourself, go for it.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Mr Wiggle
I know a few friends who did it through this methods it is very hard and the motivation required needs to be very high.
I wouldn't think of this study method unless something extreme prevented you from attending regular mainstream classes as you tend to bludge cause no one is pushing you and you have all those spare time which can be distracting then a gift.
Originally posted by eviltama
It's hard work and you have to motivate yourself.. theres no teacher standing over the top of you all the time to tell you to study or do your assignments
i didnt do it, but it sounds scarily like uni.

EDIT: come to think of it, my brothers done a couple of courses through corredspondance with tafe...something about his builders licence and something to do with horses...so that was prob through this oten mob. i know he did ok, but i think he found it pretty hard to do the assignments and stuff...not so much doing them, but getting the motivation to start them.

Last edited:

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
I find it annoying that when people help and give there opinion that the starter of the thread never comes back and say thanks or tells us what s/he decides to do.

soso

HSC
N/A
OK I thank you but i am quite put off by the sight of eviltama's avatar.

AS a women I find it demeaning and offensive to be forced to watch a women having her clothes cut from her and having her breasts exposed for the pleasure of others every time I come to this and other sites this avatar is on....... Please complain to management if you feel the same. I thank you in advance of you feel you can make this complaint

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
by the way about your problem involving eviltama i answered in the thread about 'libaray' which she started.

lbft

Geek
HSC
I'm currently doing HSC Maths Ext 1 with OTEN and I'm severely behind in my assignments. It's really hard to stay motivated and get stuff done - go for it if you think you can keep your mind on it but otherwise you're better off attending a TAFE college.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
how come your doing Maths at OTEN when your doing Liberal Studies @ University of Sydney ?
what are you doing it for ?

Rory

HSC
I do OTEN - I love it. I did it last year for year 11 and I'm now doing it for year 12. Sure you need to be motivated and actually want to do well since you don't have people breathing down your neck and pushing you. I have my days where I think "oh fuck this" but generally it's not too bad. I mean, don't go into it if you haven't got a decent reason, if you can still attend a 'regular' school by all means do, but if your stuck without any other options, it's not as scary as people make it out to be.

lbft

Geek
HSC
Originally posted by Mr Wiggle
how come your doing Maths at OTEN when your doing Liberal Studies @ University of Sydney ?
Long story, but basically because I wanted to do it and I didn't have the chance when I was at school due to an issue with a teacher.

Adrian.

HSC
lbft said:
I'm currently doing HSC Maths Ext 1 with OTEN and I'm severely behind in my assignments. It's really hard to stay motivated and get stuff done - go for it if you think you can keep your mind on it but otherwise you're better off attending a TAFE college.
Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'm about to start year 12 Maths (2 unit) through OTEN. I just wanted to ask what the actual work content they give you is like. Are all the concepts well explained? Do they come with worksheets or do they tell you to work out of a textbook (if so, which one?).

Thank you for any help...

soso

HSC
N/A
Ring them tomorrow on 9715 8000 ask for maths and they will tell you everything. OTEN stays open during the holidays

Vahl

HSC
Distance Ed

edited................................................................

Last edited by a moderator:

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
yeah oten's content is good quality but receiving a big stack of learning materials at once can be a bit overwhelming. you've gotta keep focused on the end result, otherwise you'll get bogged down on the tasks, which can be pretty tedious.

however, successful completion of an oten course would be good on a resume as it shows you can get things done unsupervised, have developed self-motivation and time management skills.

having said that, i received my confirmation of enrolment in mid-january, it is now MARCH and i havent yet submitted the 1st assignment :( however it is 85% done
and i have read a lot of the required reading materials, so at least know what my modules are all about for when its time to do assignments ( i have til november anyways) :) my currently full timetable planning allows me to finish all uni work mon-fri, and sunday will be free to gradually work on OTEN. (i'm doing my oten modules over 3yrs since i'm doing a degree also and have time constraints) my OTEN 'teacher' knows this, so won't expect me to get thru heaps in a year...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)