Alot of TAFE Questions... (1 Viewer)

layzie bone

I don't know how many people on Boredofstudies community attend TAFE, probably no one. I have a bunch of questions because I am so fucking excited about going to TAFE for the reason that no one can describe unless you've been doing nothing work for the past few months...

1) Not everyone finishes TAFE for the semester at the same time yes? Because on the student calender it says Marking and Assessment which goes for so many days... I'm guessing this is when the teachers mark our tests and shit, or is it when we go and do tests?

If we all finish on the 19th December then my holidays plans have been altered... lolz

2) What is the main age group that attends TAFE... I went to the Hotel Licensing Course which ran for a week, I was stuck with very old people for a week, it was very very very boring. I can't communicate with old people...

You recon that the majority of the people doing our course are around the 18 to 21 age category?

3) Work load? Some people said the work load is alright, and others say that the work load is a lot. I had a friend say that you get shit all in the beginning then they throw all this shit at you to do... Honestly I don't mind if there is a lot of work, but as long its not extremely bludgy or if its as stressful as fucking uni (I wasn't ready for that shit).

4) I heard of some shit that you can walk out of your class anytime you want? Is that true? Does it affect anything other then the fact that you will not learn that part of the lesson you walked out of?

5) And also, I heard that TAFE has pretty strict regulations in regards to sickness? Something like you MUST call up or else they will do something bad to your enrollment or something? Or is it very much like school?

6) Ever heard of stories of how they have a fine system... if your phone goes off in class, then its $250 dollars... kind of like parking fine...

7) Just one last question about TAFE to University, please explain to me the process of getting into university from TAFE... I want to go do Management for Aviation at UNSW, and I';m going to do a diploma course at TAFE... can I use that TAFE course to apply to UAC or what do I do? Assuming I got High Distinctions (90% +).

8) Last Question (I promise), which site is more accurate for courses? The Actual TAFEnsw.edu.au site? or the Sit.nsw.edu.au site? Because the TAFEnsw has a Diploma of Tourism management at Ultimo, but on the sit.nsw.edu.au don't have it. But then... I guess you gotta believe the SIT site as I was told to by TAFE staff...

9) Ok, Really... Last question...
How was your day?

Here fellow dropouts... something to occupy your time... I can't wait any longer... I need to get back to educating soon or else I'm going to go insane just working everyday.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Thats alot of question there.
I'll try my best

Originally posted by layzie bone

1) Not everyone finishes TAFE for the semester at the same time yes? Because on the student calender it says Marking and Assessment which goes for so many days... I'm guessing this is when the teachers mark our tests and shit, or is it when we go and do tests?
If we all finish on the 19th December then my holidays plans have been altered... lolz
Tafe finishes on the first week of december each year the Assessment and marking is done externally and when they finish they send you the marks and grades through the mail so your holiday plans are safe from that.

2) What is the main age group that attends TAFE... I went to the Hotel Licensing Course which ran for a week, I was stuck with very old people for a week, it was very very very boring. I can't communicate with old people...

You recon that the majority of the people doing our course are around the 18 to 21 age category?
Yeah thats the age of most tafe students with about 20-30 % of the older people.

3) Work load? Some people said the work load is alright, and others say that the work load is a lot. I had a friend say that you get shit all in the beginning then they throw all this shit at you to do... Honestly I don't mind if there is a lot of work, but as long its not extremely bludgy or if its as stressful as fucking uni (I wasn't ready for that shit).
The work starts off slowy with minimal work done at home then it gets more and the content IMO is not hard but fair in that you have to do the work to get the marks for it

4) I heard of some shit that you can walk out of your class anytime you want? Is that true? Does it affect anything other then the fact that you will not learn that part of the lesson you walked out of?
Yes, you can walk out of your class early if you want for anything but i don't think it affects anything other then the learning you are missing out on

5) And also, I heard that TAFE has pretty strict regulations in regards to sickness? Something like you MUST call up or else they will do something bad to your enrollment or something? Or is it very much like school?
I have never heard such a thing if you are away then the next day that you come back you can bring in a medical certificate if you have missed an assessment otherwise your just mark absent from that lesson.
But there is a Tafe policy that if you miss class for 3 weeks in a row then they automatically assumed that you have dropped out and if you came back then you have to see the course coordinator

6) Ever heard of stories of how they have a fine system... if your phone goes off in class, then its $250 dollars... kind of like parking fine...
No, a urban myth nothing in that at all
but you do get a libaray fien if you bring in late

7) Just one last question about TAFE to University, please explain to me the process of getting into university from TAFE... I want to go do Management for Aviation at UNSW, and I';m going to do a diploma course at TAFE... can I use that TAFE course to apply to UAC or what do I do? Assuming I got High Distinctions (90% +).
1. You finish the diploma
2. just before you finish the diploma grap a UAC application form for Uni entry this is around the same time as when they open it for the year 12 applicant in august each year
3. fill it out
4. make sure you have all fines owes paid as UAC collects the marks directly from the Tafe computer system as if you don't then Tafe won't release it for UAC which can affect your uni application.

8) Last Question (I promise), which site is more accurate for courses? The Actual TAFEnsw.edu.au site? or the Sit.nsw.edu.au site? Because the TAFEnsw has a Diploma of Tourism management at Ultimo, but on the sit.nsw.edu.au don't have it. But then... I guess you gotta believe the SIT site as I was told to by TAFE staff...
Cheack with the main one first then go to the respective insititute site if it doesn't then chacke with the campus you want to go to.

How was your day?
Not bad could be better but then doesn't everybody want that.

Edit: Typo error

Last edited:

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC

How was your day?

2) Age - depends what course your doing I guess. I finished my VCE at TAFE (best decision I EVER made) mot people were 20+ and me being 19->20 I was considered as a 'young one'.

4) I never did but a few people left after our break - eventually it became a habit and to my knowledge none of them got through till the end of yr exams.

5) Never heard of that, it was just a courtesy thing to call and let the teacher know you were not going to be in class - and by doing this the teacher would go out of their way to print/photocopy class notes. May be different in NSW??

6) Nope, never heard of that. Though we were expected to have phones switched off in class to avoid distractions if the phone did go off. Could have phone on silent in emerg. situation but had to inform teacher.

9) My day... er night actually. Went to TAFE Tues and Wed both 6-10pm. LOVED it!!! Best thing not getting up in the morning and was able to get sooo much study done, in fact I miss it!

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Mr Wiggle

1. You finish the diploma
2. just before you finish the diploma grap a UAC application form for Uni entry this is around the same time as when they open it for the year 12 applicant in august each year
3. fill it out
4. make sure you have all fines owes paid as UAC collects the marks directly from the Tafe computer system as if you don't then Tafe won't release it for UAC which can affect your uni application.

Hi, after you finish the diploma at tafe can you apply to any university? or is there a limited choice?
And what kind of courses can u apply for at uni? Im guessing the choice is probably limited? or only in the area that you completed your diploma?
Thanks

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
I think it's only the area you complete the diploma. For example I'm doing Dip. Foundation Studies in Nursing so obviously can only get in Nursing next yr (@ Uni) and must get C (credit) average across the board to gain full entry. Not sure if the grade standards take effect for other course though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)