Hsc At Tafe? (1 Viewer)

69^boi

HSC
N/A
im thinking about to repeat HSC at tafe can you do this??
is the environment wots it like???

69^boi

HSC
N/A
also do they have hard subjects like chem,bio,phs,2u maths adv eng?

Adrian.

HSC
I dropped out of school half way through year 12 and went to TAFE and started year 12 again. It was a good move as I find it a better environment to learn in (smaller classes, not as strict, more freedom).
The subject choice depends on which TAFE you go to (go and ask at your local one/s to see what they have). I go to Gosford and can only do 3 subjects there (English, Modern History and IT) I have to do 2 through OTEN (distance ed.) (2 Unit Maths and Physics). You may have trouble if you don't want to do any subjects through OTEN (unless you don't mind doing year 11 and 12 again).
Good luck and I hope you make the right decision.

69^boi

HSC
N/A
thanks for da advice mate!!
hey i also heard dat sum ppl get lower uai or 3-5 higher uai? is this true
i did relly relly shit at skool
wot if sumone did sort of average but wanna do it again is it relly worth it?
my friend he wouldnt repeat even if he gets low uai coz no one wants to waste another year?.

69^boi

HSC
N/A
hey one more adrian you drop out during yr12 , didnt dat mean you get any cert. or recongition of doin yr 11 subjects?

Adrian.

HSC
69^boi said:
thanks for da advice mate!!
hey i also heard dat sum ppl get lower uai or 3-5 higher uai? is this true
i did relly relly shit at skool
wot if sumone did sort of average but wanna do it again is it relly worth it?
my friend he wouldnt repeat even if he gets low uai coz no one wants to waste another year?.
The HSC at TAFE is exactly the same as the one you do at school so your UAI has no advantage/disadvantage from doing the HSC at TAFE. Doing the HSC can be worth it but it depends on the individual situation (eg. there are other ways to get into Uni other completing the HSC and getting the UAI needed). It would be a waste of a year if you didn't need the HSC for what you want to do but once again this depends on the individual situation.

Adrian.

HSC
69^boi said:
hey one more adrian you drop out during yr12 , didnt dat mean you get any cert. or recongition of doin yr 11 subjects?
Yes I got recognition for all my prelim subjects so I only have to take one extra year to do my HSC again.

69^boi

HSC
N/A
thanks again for ya adive adrian!
i juz hope this time i have the motivation to study and improve even more better
maybe even taking a year of to so sumfin else
and may i ask y u droped out?

Adrian.

HSC
69^boi said:
thanks again for ya adive adrian!
i juz hope this time i have the motivation to study and improve even more better
maybe even taking a year of to so sumfin else
and may i ask y u droped out?
No problem. I dropped out becasue I just didn't put any effort into any of my subjects and my marks reflected that. I thought having a fresh start would help so I gave it a go.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Just to go further then what Adrian has said you can also do both the prelim & HSC in the one year at certain TAFE and the subject choices there are more then the local high school ranging from Agriculture to 4u maths.

Also there are no UAI penalties associated with doing the HSC at Tafe it depends weather you can do better then the last time you did the HSC and willing to put more work in to it.

69^boi

HSC
N/A
yeh wriggle dats the problem putting more better/improved/harder work in your HSC!! i noe dat you dont have to repeat evry subjects but juz some or all if u prefer...doin a new course means u have to do prelim+hsc again which is tough but then again with great efforts anyone can do it!! grr.... i juz have to believe in myself!!

Adrian.

HSC
= Jennifer = said:
so how do u get ranked if u do your subjects through tafe?
Against the other people in your class, like school. Through OTEN I guess it would be against the other people doing that course through OTEN.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
I thought i'd throw in some more options to confuse you :)

You can also do a Tertiary Preparation Certificate through TAFE which would give you a Tertiary Entrance Score which is sort of like the UAI but not really and almost all Universities accept it. Chances are with a TES you'd be going into the uni under a different bucket of selection criteria than UAI people.
http://www.nci.tafensw.edu.au/courses/general education/4174.htm
http://www.lg.tafensw.edu.au/2384/2395/tpcinfo.htm
http://www.lg.tafensw.edu.au/2384/2395/default.htm

Then some Universities also have a STATS test
http://www.uac.edu.au/admin/stat.html

You can see a large number of alternative schemes here
http://www.uac.edu.au/admin/schemes.html

If you decide to go to TAFE you can get some of your coursework recognised and credited at a University level
http://www.avcc.edu.au/students/credit_transfer/acts.htm

Some Universities will also take into account prior work experience of periods greater than 1 year.

You can also try as mature age in a few years.

But i'm sure someone keen to get into University would have at least read the UAC page on their options if not go to the University websites for each one they wish to attend.

As a final note if you are trying to get into a course requiring a UAI of 90+ and you managed a UAI of less than 75 first time around the chances are you will not crack 90 the second time around and it was not meant to be you getting into the uni with a high UAI.

69^boi

HSC
N/A
in concern with science subjects at tafe do u do pratical experiment too? wot if its through OTEN how do u do it?

69^boi

HSC
N/A
143 views so less replies?? need help would be appreciated

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
69^boi said:
in concern with science subjects at tafe do u do pratical experiment too? wot if its through OTEN how do u do it?
If you do it a at Tafe there is a lab where you do experiment

OTEN - there is one practical experiment day where you go to a particular school and do all of the course compulsoury experiment in one go.

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
I did my VCE at TAFE. Pretty much all subjects offered at secondary schools were listed on the TAFE enrollment form. Only different I noticed TAFE/school is that the teacher tend to treat you more like an adult + the average student age is much older than sec. school !!

lambkin

Hey Boi..
just thought I'd pop a note to let you know that I just finished doing my HSC at TAFE, and it was good! I worked much better in that sort of environment than I did at high school, and performed better as well. It's alot more informal - you're on a first name basis with all the teachers, and your schedule may work out to be pretty random, but it's good. Generally, it's pretty easy to learn there because alot of people are there under similar circumstances as each other (having dropped out or whatever), and are pretty focussed, so you don't get as distracted during classes.
I dropped out of high school half way through year 12, and spent 2 years at TAFE doing my HSC. I did 3 subjects (preliminary and HSC) in the first year, and 3 new subjects this year.. which is a pretty good option if you're working or something as well, because there's alot more time to devote to individual subjects (and I only had to be there 3 days a week). I also did a subject through OTEN which I wouldn't recommend unless you're HUGELY motivated.. it's really hard to get your arse into gear.
Anyway, check out their website and find out what classes your nearest TAFE runs. I was at Hornsby and they had English standard, advanced, extension 1 and fundamentals.. General, 2U and 3U maths, economics, modern and ancient history, physics, chem, bio, senior science, art, IT VET, business studies, software.. and I think that's it, but yeah, pretty good selection!
Give it a try.. it worked well for me, and everyone I know who's done it really loved it so good luck!

Cheers
Amy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)