TAFE HSC students: slackers???? (1 Viewer)

nicomed

Hello, im new to this forum and studying the 1 year HSC course in TAFE. Ive never done the HSC as im also new to this country. I just noticed that most of my classmates slack off instead of being serious w/ the 1 yr program. Its like evry 1 of them have unresolved issues.I also see people who still havent gotten out of their "high school immaturity" personas. Im doing 6 subjects, and most of the people i saw on the first week dont show up anymore. In physics we used to have 20+ in class, now there's 5 left. Does the 1 yr HSC program produce students with decent HSC marks? I was just wondering?

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
oh, well, you can't really generalise it as such. I see students who are dedicated. There's always others that die down eventually (well, that was me two years ago).
You never know, everyone has their reasons.
I would say, some people find it pretty hard. What with doing 6 subjects over one year (i couldn't do it).
They might have some illnesses or other valid reasons.

As for the result, it obviously depend on your class itself. There were lots of band 6's last year in the Economic class. Hopefully my class would be able to do as well.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
well most of the people in my class who are slackers are the people doing the 6 subs in 1 year cos its just too much effort at first and they never recover but at my TAFE we had really dedicated students, I personally was in a class with two people who got state positions

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
It varies but it's not unusual to have a class with say 20 enrolled, 10-15 turning up to start with and 3-7 being there in the end.

It's the same with the CGVE classes (yr 10). People either underestimate the commitment involved thinking "oh it's TAFE, gotta be a bludge" or they think the only reason they didn't do well was because of the teachers at their high school (forgetting that it takes self motivation to get through most things in life), or they have personal issues that stop them from being able to attend or they could just be enrolled to get a little stamp for centrelink or they might move to somewhere else, or they gain employment and so on. So there are a lot of reasons why some people drop out or stop attending, just as there are a lot of reasons why some people enrol. I've heard just about every reason.

But you need to understand that the same thing happens in a lot of uni courses. Not to the same extent but the trends are there as well.

I congratulate anyone willing to tough it out and further their education :D

soso

HSC
N/A
It is true that increasing numbers of students are doing HSC at TAFE who have emotional problems. Often they are there because they couldn't fit in the rigid assessment/attendance schemes and schools were too rigid to understand and help with their problems. Some people get too old for school (in the head like) and go to TAFE.

Some students hit TAFE with some left over school baggage. At TAFE students are responsible for their own learning. This includes seeking out help from counsellers. Students are still subject to basic classroom discipline and are required to behave. However it is a lot easier for a teacher to get rid of a troublesome student,

I know of 2 TAFE colleges who regularly get Band 6's and above average results. True the class size shrinks but this is true of all tertiary institutes.

Stick with your focus on success and you will get good results.

letsget_ethical

HSC
Although i'm not in yr 12 as yet, i'm currently doing Fitness Cert II. I don't think it matters which class you take in TAFE, you'll always find the 'bludger', but they drop out in the end usually because of the long hours. I'm pretty sure everyone in my class takes the lessons seriously, which contradicts what I first thought since we do a fair amount of gym work. You do find that quite a lot of people skip classes- but that's their problem, not mine. (considering, it's still a big class).

~SeXcSuM~

HSC
soso said:
I know of 2 TAFE colleges who regularly get Band 6's and above average results.
which ones are they? just curious

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
thats only the extension students at bradfield

most ppl r either musicians or drama students

so i wouldnt call it regularly

soso

HSC
N/A
You don't deny OTEN is doing well then?

Well Hornsby was written up in the paper last year as having one of the best results.

What's your point. Do you have another TAFE who is doing well or are you anti-TAFE or what is it you want to say?

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
soso said:
You don't deny OTEN is doing well then?

Well Hornsby was written up in the paper last year as having one of the best results.

What's your point. Do you have another TAFE who is doing well or are you anti-TAFE or what is it you want to say?

im just saying from my experience of actually attending bradfield college that its not a consistent thing- look back a couple of yrs ago there may have been junkies...but recently at bradfield this isnt the case

although the stoners/musos/drama students will never change

im not anti tafe or anything- this is my experience and i probably could have done better myself, but hay its too late and im lucky enough to be at uni now so what do i care

tafe is what u make of it in the end

soso

HSC
N/A
The short answer is yes and the long answer is no.

You can if you enrol early enough to complete all prelim assignments by April 30. You can see that is hard to do if you enrol anytime from now. It means you have 7 weeks to complete 8 assignments in one subject. If you were allowed to do say 3 subjects that is 24 assignments in 7 weeks. That is 3 to 4 assignments a week. You can see from the maths its not possible really. You just don't have the time.

Look at another scenario. It is late 3rd term in year 11. You have just had your ancient history teacher in your private school tell you she wont pass you in Prelim Ancient History. What are you going to do?

You enrol in Prelim Ancient History straight away and do the 8 assignments between November and January and become accredited for prelim ancient history. This way you don't have to repeat year 11. Oten marks all year round including the holidays.

This fast track is not available to state school students they have to go through the DECS if they are allowed to.

If you are knocked back for prelim write a letter to the BOS and appeal. They do overturn lots of teacher decisions.

Oten can help. Call Connie Fraser the HSC co-ordinator for advice on your situation. 9715 8000

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
well i dont know many ppl who fail yr 11 before they even get to yr12- a bit of a rare scenario

but yeah every institution has its advantages and disadvantages

but for the most part ppl who do attend tafe instead of a normal school go there because it was a late decision, they went to complete a tafe course along with their hsc studies or they didnt like their old school for one reason or another

while at tafe ppl will find it different than their old school- some ppl overcome this and continue to work while others dont like myself i guess

however most ppl in my year were musos, drama students, not going for a uai in comparison to those who do achieve well- im not saying they dont

its a great alternative if u make the most of it, otherwise it can be bad

soso

HSC
N/A
Hey josiekiller how did you ever make 2,676 posts? Is this what you were doing instead of doing well at TAFE?

enva

HSC
N/A
Some tafe students are a bit, then again some turn up and ask the DUMBEST QUESTIONS then chew up class time very annoying

The Hunter Campus at Tighes Hill is good for hsc studies, good teachers at least the ones i have.
some student's slack abit but its there life to screw up. a few showed up for 1 or 2 classes then dropped out then some just dont show up at all and wonder why they dont understand things.
We have great co-ordinators at tighes hill for hsc

soso

HSC
N/A
My teacher tells me that more and more students with mild symptons of mental health issues are enrolling in TAFE. These people need special help to reach goals. THey don't cope well with school environments but can manage in TAFE. Perhaps TAFE needs more classroon support for these students. Often they are quite bright but have emotional issues

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
We have that in our tafe class, and its not a hsc class!

We have people leave halfway though the day, not show up etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)