Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My Guide to HSC at TAFE.

HSC

Re: My Guide to HSC at TAFE.

I responded to your question in the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocoth
    Please note: All of this is in regards to the Preliminary and HSC when completed together in one year through TAFE NSW.

Yes, it is. It may depend on the campus, institution and coordinators as to how willing they are to let you do it though.
    For the rest, view: http://community.boredofstudies.org/.../post-317.html

HSC

Newcastle campus also offered Mathematics Extension 1 this year (2007) and last (2006). It runs subject to demand at the moment (as with all subjects I think!), and this year we ended up with a class of five students!

Going by past papers that we've been given throughout the year, it also ran in 2000 and 2004. I'm not sure about the other years, it might've just been those were the only papers available (this year it is taught by a different teacher than previously).

(I've heard that in the 1980s and/or 1990s they had more than one class of Maths Ext 1 students in some years! With the introduction of alternative university entry methods that's changed.)

HSC

well if u get 100 like im planning on doing in good old 4 unit u wont haveto worri lol...

Ive been told by a few ppl that ppl lyk me (i did my hsc in oct/nov 2007 and am planning to repeat it at TAFE in 2008 to be re sat in nov 08) will lose 5 marks or 10% or something similar on our uai just becuase we repeated.

If thats tru it shows u how completely flawed this system is..eg. theyll let ppl get their ass tutored off from yr 6 to 12 and they can keep their 100 uai no worries but ppl hu cant afford that same luxury n have a hard time at home during their hsc lose 10% and i spose i can see reason for arguement from both sides but i dont lyk it.

I hope this isnt tru n im trying not to jump to conclusions but i need 95 plus for what I want n if thats not doable through TAFE ill be very annoyed. But when i think about it's really the same as that pathways shit and they dont get no marks taken away but who knows.

Anyway i would appreciate clarification of this by anyone in the know.

cheers

HSC

no u dont lose 10% thats b.s, you can accumulate your subjects or reapet them for a rolling 5 year period. can't get much easier than that to get a high TER

but i cant see why anyone would waste 5 years just to get a perfect TER if all you want is to get into a University course.

HSC

I've done half the HSC through Tafe - I was on pathways and I have another half to do...but I want to try and get into the subjects I've already done prelim for...
    Do other tafes offer distance education? Like..Newcastle offers the subjects that I'd need/have done prelim for, so could I do something like that through them or is it only through OTEN?

>.<
    Darkling I listen; and, for many a time
    I have been half in love with easeful Death,
    Call'd him soft names in many a mused rhyme,
    To take into the air my quiet breath;
    Now more than ever seems it rich to die,
    To cease upon the midnight with no pain,
    While thou art pouring forth thy soul abroad
    In such an ecstasy!
    Still wouldst thou sing, and I have ears in vain--
    To thy high requiem become a sod.

John Keats

Yes. I am a Pathways Student. My HSC is a two part series.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunae
    hi

is it possible to take 10-12 units in a year in tafe?
    I read that they suggest the applicants to only enroll maximal 3 subjects
    I want to repeat my HSC all of them but i dont want to repeat it in one year

Most TAFE HSC coordinators will no longer allow students to complete the HSC within 1 year. After speaking with most Sydney TAFE HSC coordinators, the North Sydney Institute, and Northern Beaches Institute were the only two colleges willing to allow me to complete more than 12 units within a 1 year period.

TAFE colleges are encouraging students to undertake the flexible streams because they believe delivering the HSC over a longer period (2-5 years) results in better marks when comparing to students who attempt 12 or more units in 1 year.
    2008 HSC | 98.00+|

HSC

TAFE starts tomorrow!
    All your own work 9.00am sharp.
    2008 HSC | 98.00+|

HSC

Hi, i currently am doing HSC at TAFE with 4 subjects, and i have already received the HSC last year(2007), but want to get a better UAI to get into Uni. And here i would like to ask a few questions [I won't ask one person to answer them all, but any help is appreciated ] :

1. Does TPC, in comparison to HSC at TAFE, take into account any previous HSC subjects i have completed, or is it a completely separate thing that is just another way of getting into Uni (get a TES)

2. I have completed the HSC with 10 units last year, but want to make a large improvement as personal issues prevented me from getting the best out of my ability. Heres the question -> Can i do the 'yr11(Preliminary)+Yr12(HSC) in one year program', doing 4 subjects, and ALSO combine one of my subjects which i completed back in 2007(HSC) to make the units count to the required 10?

3. I unbelievably missed the information session, as i found out about it the day after, so i want to just briefly know what was presented.

Thanks a lot in advance for you support,
    Regards, -M
    Last edited by Masaaki; 12 Feb 2008 at 11:44 PM.

Cadet
    HSC

1. As far as I know, it's completely seperate.

2. Yes, you can definately do that.

3. How are we to know if we weren't there?

BTW, what tafe?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by redox
    3. How are we to know if we weren't there?

BTW, what tafe?
    Well if someone has gone to it before or this year, that would help.

North Sydney TAFE

Thanks a lot for your help

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by cokeface
    well if u get 100 like im planning on doing in good old 4 unit u wont haveto worri lol...

Ive been told by a few ppl that ppl lyk me (i did my hsc in oct/nov 2007 and am planning to repeat it at TAFE in 2008 to be re sat in nov 08) will lose 5 marks or 10% or something similar on our uai just becuase we repeated.

If thats tru it shows u how completely flawed this system is..eg. theyll let ppl get their ass tutored off from yr 6 to 12 and they can keep their 100 uai no worries but ppl hu cant afford that same luxury n have a hard time at home during their hsc lose 10% and i spose i can see reason for arguement from both sides but i dont lyk it.

I hope this isnt tru n im trying not to jump to conclusions but i need 95 plus for what I want n if thats not doable through TAFE ill be very annoyed. But when i think about it's really the same as that pathways shit and they dont get no marks taken away but who knows.

Anyway i would appreciate clarification of this by anyone in the know.

cheers
    I heard that too, im also wondering if its true you lose 10% for repeating the hsc

HSC

Question Re: My Guide to HSC at TAFE.

Hey,
    There's some really good points here! I left half way through year 12 this year for some personal reasons, but always really loved my subjects. In year 11 i came first in all but one subject, and I'm itching to get back into a humanities classroom haha
    What should I do? I've been researching it for ages but still can't get anything straight. How long will it take to do year 12 in the shortest time possible- I left school partly because I felt the environment was very immature and fake. Uni is where I really want to be- asap.
    Help?? =)

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by xibeleli View Post
    I heard that too, im also wondering if its true you lose 10% for repeating the hsc
    What the o.O?! What type of rumour is this? Seriously..I've never heard anything like that ever man..its like saying

if you get 70 - 10%

Your ATAR would be 70 - 7 = 63!

Thats heaps of positions to lose just because of repeating..also the HSC changes all the time so how could it be unfair? Its all fair.

Also..an ATAR of 80 means that losing 10% = an ATAR of 72! Thats a big difference

I dont believe in it

HSC

Dont do it at Granville..the English teacher was mean in a way there..one of it I wont mention loll!

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by uac.aplcnt View Post
    Dont do it at Granville..the English teacher was mean in a way there..one of it I wont mention loll!
    *ahem*..however the maths teacher is cool there!

Also they dont offer this course at blacktown anymore
    Last edited by uac.aplcnt; 12 Feb 2010 at 2:40 PM.

HSC

Bankstown:ESL, English Fundamentals,Ancient History, Biology, Business Studies, Chemistry, English(Standard), English(Advanced), Geography, Information Processes & Technology, Legal Studies, General Maths, Mathematics, Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2, Modern History, Physics, Senior Science, Society & Culture, Information Technology,
    They dont do Business Studies at Bankstown anymore..or they never did prolly

HSC

Hornsby - English Fundamentals, Ancient History, Biology, Business Studies, Chemistry, Economics, English(Standard), English(Advanced), English Extension 1,English Fundamentals, Information Processes & Technology, Legal Studies, General Maths, Mathematics(Advanced), Mathematics Extension 1, Modern History, Physics, Senior Science, Visual Arts
    The most updated information about Hornsby for the HSC is that they dont offer IPT or Physics..I think they never have..the same with Business studies as well I believe....

HSC

Do you know the subjects offered at TAFEz around sydney 2012???

HSC

Do they offer maths 2u or senior science in 2012? @ Hornsby

HSC

errr..lol,

well I just get the list from the TAFE official website..in the course search and then you look at a few links they provide..they show all the subjects on offer - but all i'm saying here BEFORE is the UPDATED version for that year when I posted that post you read recently..so all the subjects on offer that is mentioned in the TAFE website is NOT effective until you go to the TAFE teachers and asks "which subjects are on offer for so and so year" or call the right person at TAFE/ head teachers..then asks them what subjects are available..

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by LouisaCar View Post
    Do they offer maths 2u or senior science in 2012? @ Hornsby
    Judging by the quote I quoted a few years ago or a year ago..Hornsby TAFE seems to offer "Mathematics(Advanced)"..I assume or presume that this yes IS "Mathematics 2 Units"..however there is maths advanced in high school but there in years 9/10..so you have to call horsnby tafe to confirm of the subject offered next year etc..

Also it looks like they offer 3 unit maths..3 U maths also comprises of 2 units of maths...so they SHOULD have 2 U maths there...but still you gotta call to make sure cuz i'm not sure..

Yes..according to my previous lists they DO offer "Senior Science"..so yeah..goodluck huh?

Hope I helped...lol

HSC

Which tafe campus would you recommend for doing the HSC? Im looking at Physics and 2 unit Math

HSC

This is interesting, and kinda over powered if you think about it. It's true that you lose 1 year repeating courses that you for some reason did poorly at in HSC, but you crush the HSC and get the marks (assuming you already did the course in high school). And it kinda gives people a sense of relief and gives you a second chance, especially the fact that you lose no marks in the second attempt.
    Does it have to be HSC and Preliminary? Or can you repeat only the HSC course? Not that I wanna repeat any courses but I know many people at my school who sucked real bad this year at some subjects for various reasons like having a terrible teacher, being sick or being pulled down by a shitty cohort or whatever...
    Last edited by The Matrix; 13 Jul 2012 at 4:42 AM.
    ADVANCED ENGLISH | MATHEMATICS EXTENSION 2 | MATHEMATICS EXTENSION 1 | PHYSICS | CHEMISTRY | BIOLOGY
    ATAR AIM: 99.95
    UNIVERSITY COURSE AIM: BACHELOR OF PHILOSOPHY (HONOURS) (ANU) OR BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING (RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT) (ANU)

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by powderfinger View Post
    Which tafe campus would you recommend for doing the HSC? Im looking at Physics and 2 unit Math
    Bradfield College, North Sydney Institute.
    ADVANCED ENGLISH | MATHEMATICS EXTENSION 2 | MATHEMATICS EXTENSION 1 | PHYSICS | CHEMISTRY | BIOLOGY
    ATAR AIM: 99.95
    UNIVERSITY COURSE AIM: BACHELOR OF PHILOSOPHY (HONOURS) (ANU) OR BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING (RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT) (ANU)

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    Bradfield College, North Sydney Institute.
    This. Probably the best TAFE campus for HSC studies.
    TAFE Results: Calculus: 98 / English: 100 / Chem: 100 / Health: 100 /

B Laws @ UTS 2014

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information