Official BOS Trial 2016 Thread (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Thank you all for attending today!

Here is a dropbox link containing today's exam paper as well as fully worked solutions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9qwaawe23ie12p/BOS Trials 2016.zip?dl=0

Hello all,

Welcome to another year of our series of BOS Trials! This year, we will only be Extension 1 and Extension 2.

Students who have previously sat in these exams, I invite you all you share your experiences and to discuss the papers. I give you permission to spam up this thread (within reason please!)

This year, I will be capping the attendance to 50 for Extension 1 and 2 each.

Here is a dropbox link containing all the past papers + solutions so you can have a feel of the style of questions and the level of difficulty involved.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7sa8z721tgcde17/BOS Trials.zip?dl=0

Introduction

The Bored of Studies Mathematics Trials are aimed at students seeking a challenging paper that will push their limits and test how well they really know their stuff. The exams are designed carefully to stay within the bounds of the syllabus, whilst maintaining a high standard of questions and proofs of further results. In short, if you think you are good at Mathematics, these papers are most certainly for you. They will interest you, challenge you, and most importantly they will show you that questions/topics that are typically 'boring' can be interesting! If you have been finding past HSC/Trial papers to be 'too easy', then you may like to consider attending the event.

Students will sit the examination under supervised exam conditions and will be allowed to keep their copy of the exam paper to bring home. Afterwards, a team of markers will be marking the exam papers under marking guidelines that I've written (according to how the HSC markers conducts their marking), and sending you results when they are ready.

Fully worked solutions will be provided either on the day of the exam or over the next few days following it. These solutions are carefully explained to allow students to maximise their understanding of the deeper and underlying concepts used in various questions.

Students who may be worried about losing motivation (due to results) are reminded that this is NOT intended to be an accurate reflection of the difficulty of the HSC. The questions are made to be as closely styled to HSC as possible (see previous exams), but this will be your last chance to practise a full exam as close to HSC conditions as possible.

Details

How Do I Register?

Please make a post in here stating that you will be sitting the exam paper, and then send me a private message through here.

In your private message, please use the following template (this information will not be disclosed to the public, and is kept for our references only). If you have some friends you'd like to bring along, please ask them to make an account and message me individually.

Name:

School:

Exams I wish to sit:

If you do not have an account, please feel free to make one.

Also, please feel free to invite your friends, provided that they suit the recommendations (read below).

In response, I will issue you with a student number to confirm your registration. Keep this student number with you on the day of the exam. You can use it to track your results when I put the marks online (only the student number and marks will be shown).

When:

All exams will be hosted on Monday the 3rd of October (Public Holiday).

Extension 2: 9:30am - 12:30pm

Break (Free Subway to be confirmed).

Extension 1: 1:30pm - 3:30pm

Where:

All exams will be hosted at the University of Sydney! Many thanks to them for providing us with a venue to host these exams. We are highly thankful for their assistance in hosting such an event.

Business Building ABS Seminar Room 2003: https://web.timetable.usyd.edu.au/venuebookings/venueDetails.jsp?venueId=1814

What to bring:

Yourself and usual exam kit such as pens, calculator etc. No paper is necessary, as we will be providing you with writing booklets, just like in the HSC Examination.

Recommended:

It is highly recommended that students attempting the paper are comfortably in the Band 6/E4 range, aiming for 95+ in any of the Mathematics subjects. The exams will very thoroughly examine your ability to understand how topics are used, and the theory behind concepts. You will be also very much pressed for time, so you also will need to be quick.

I also recommend that all students attempting the Extension 2 paper also attempt the Extension 1 paper. I know that typically you may be getting 95%+ raw, but remember these are not like ordinary trial papers!

Favour:

If you know anybody who is good at Mathematics or a 'beast' at it, I ask that you link them to this page. We want to put the best people in the state up against each other for this exam. Consider it a challenge from myself.

Cost:

No cost at all. I believe such content should be free to distribute. Education and access to good resources should be unrestricted when sought after.

Registered users so far (does not include those without a username)

Registered users for Mathematics Extension 1:
calembe
KingOfActing
BE098
Mike Oxlong
gunj
trecex1
Kingom
Paradoxica
Kdinh
NearlyChemGod
HJC45
Alex Zhu
aoc
lackyplock
andrew12678
meDAawesome
ArnavLad
MadPad09
Mei2016
Mathsia
Adnan Hameed
jjlim7
BobbyCock
Kelvin1yuan
Vck3000
ytsersios
wu345
Dashy999
semajvu
WASDWASD
Chandran
Flatchakra
ze-
Arist0tle
ml125
mayc
Jordannfc26
luk7189
Chuangy
mrkky
aozura
JuzzyWuzz
vk24
andrew12678
abbycao
ceciliayimwaiming
no1gives
jamespaek
big80kg
victorsim
sharky564
Katebate
JayC1998

Registered users for Mathematics Extension 2:
calamebe
KingOfActing
BE098
Mike Oxlong
gunj
Kingom
Paradoxica
pickle10
Kdinh
denniskim123
NearlyChemGod
HJC45
Alex Zhu
aoc
lackyplock
andrew12678
sharkaloo
sharkaloo
ArnavLad
MadPad09
Mei2016
Chuangy
Mathsia
jjlim7
BobbyCock
Kelvin1yuan
BTA
Vck3000
ytsersios
wu345
Prince_Svirby
Dashy999
semajvu
WASDWASD
Chandran
Flatchakra
ze-
mayc
Jordannfc26
mrkky
aozura
JuzzyWuzz
andrew12678
Marshevpe
Mock
ceciliayimwaiming
no1gives
DatAtarLyfe
Rcbest
jamespaek
study0214
sjm46
chui28
victorsim
big80kg
Katebate
JayC1998

I look forward to seeing you all on the day!

Carrotsticks.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
What do you mean by

"this is NOT intended to be an accurate reflection of the difficulty of the HSC. The questions are made to be as closely styled to HSC as possible."?

Seems contradictory...did you mean to put a 'not' for the last sentence too (I probably misunderstood the intended meaning)?

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Will be there! Looking forward to seeing how hard the papers are compared to previous years lol

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
What is the criterion for being awarded the special 'prize' now :p? Before it was get 70+, but since that was achieved last year (for the first time), would the criterion now be to break the record mark (which iirc is 70)?

KX

HSC
What do you mean by

"this is NOT intended to be an accurate reflection of the difficulty of the HSC. The questions are made to be as closely styled to HSC as possible."?

Seems contradictory...did you mean to put a 'not' for the last sentence too (I probably misunderstood the intended meaning)?
There are many ways they could be styled as closely to the HSC, but not be a reflection of its difficulty. E.g. The questions are broken up into parts with small mark allocations to each part like the HSC, but this doesn't necessarily limit the 'difficulty' of each part. The exam is also 3 hours, just like the HSC. The exam also tests topics as outlined by the syllabus, and won't expect you to know what Wilson's theorem is (unless they provide you with it), like the HSC. The questions can be made more difficult, even if they adhere to these conditions of being styled like the HSC.

Also to OP, what is your challenge this year? As in, what is the threshold mark required for some form of a prize? I know it was 70 in the previous years, but maybe it's changed now?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
There are many ways they could be styled as closely to the HSC, but not be a reflection of its difficulty. E.g. The questions are broken up into parts with small mark allocations to each part like the HSC, but this doesn't necessarily limit the 'difficulty' of each part. The exam is also 3 hours, just like the HSC. The exam also tests topics as outlined by the syllabus, and won't expect you to know what Wilson's theorem is (unless they provide you with it), like the HSC. The questions can be made more difficult, even if they adhere to these conditions of being styled like the HSC.

Also to OP, what is your challenge this year? As in, what is the threshold mark required for some form of a prize? I know it was 70 in the previous years, but maybe it's changed now?
Yeah that was my guess after writing the comment.

My guess for the 'prize' would be either break the record (70) or just get highest mark this year.

KX

HSC
Yeah that was my guess after writing the comment.

My guess for the 'prize' would be either break the record (70) or just get highest mark this year.
Would be nice if there was a 100% (which seems possible judging the level of the 2014~15 papers), but I guess there's a chance that this year's paper may be much harder, though I doubt this considering the OP's reference to the past papers.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Would be nice if there was a 100% (which seems possible judging the level of the 2014~15 papers), but I guess there's a chance that this year's paper may be much harder, though I doubt this considering the OP's reference to the past papers.
Yeah a 100% would be cool, but I think there's usually just not enough time to do so (realistically speaking under exam pressure), even if you figure out how to do all the Q's (very easy to make silly mistakes too when rushing, and hard to finish everything in the time limit anyway (depends on the paper I guess)). If someone got 100%, they'd deserve an extra special 'prize' for sure (like a BOS medal or certificate or something haha). :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
What is the criterion for being awarded the special 'prize' now :p? Before it was get 70+, but since that was achieved last year (for the first time), would the criterion now be to break the record mark (which iirc is 70)?

This is precisely what I had intended, thank for you answering for me.

I will think about it. I feel that this year's last question is MUCH easier than previous years. But you will need to ask Trebla to see what he think as he can probably give you a less biased opinion.

Yeah a 100% would be cool, but I think there's usually just not enough time to do so (realistically speaking under exam pressure), even if you figure out how to do all the Q's (very easy to make silly mistakes too when rushing, and hard to finish everything in the time limit anyway (depends on the paper I guess)). If someone got 100%, they'd deserve an extra special 'prize' for sure (like a BOS medal or certificate or something haha). :)
This is very much the case. I had considered just allowing students 5 hours to sit the Extension 2 paper and to work in groups, but I guess that nobody then would want to even attend as that's not even close to how the HSC is done!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)