$$$ Student sub fees on enrollment $$$ (1 Viewer)

manifestation

What?!
HSC
Okay people,

You know how you have to pay student subscription fees on enrollment. For a full time student it’s $604!! Is this for the entire duration of your course? Or annually, do you have to pay this every single freakin’ year???

This is the link: http://www.info.usyd.edu.au/facts/costs.shtml

On the site it says: When you enroll at the University as an undergraduate student in 2006 you must pay an annual student compulsory subscription. So I’m guessing, you pay this fee every year and it’s not a one off payment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:chainsaw: (But I hope I’m wrong, cause it’s sooooo much money just for stupid student contributions!!)

Mani

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
After this year you won't have to pay it any more, it'll be voluntary. :)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The Federal Government passed laws making this illegal. For USYD students, this effectively means that they're bending the laws to make us all pay this year - but from next year it's our choice.

www.isa-usyd.org

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Before VSU comes in, I'll have "contributed" over $2200. And where has this money gone? Protests (almost a million dollars in student funds were used to pay for protests in 2005 alone), Terrorists (more funding went to the Falun Gong cult than to the Sydney Conservatorium of Music), and Sports jocks ($148 of student funding goes to SU Sport, but only $3 of student funding goes towards the performing arts). We can't even choose for our fees to go elsewhere. The so-called "Building Contribution Fund" is run by the Union!

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
Phanatical said:
Protests (almost a million dollars in student funds were used to pay for protests in 2005 alone)
Can you break that down a bit, like, what are the figures? Or did you just pull that from out of the air?

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Each protest costs in excess of $100000, with public liability, insurance, police costs, publicity materials (including t-shirts, banners and glossy A3 colour posters), and at one protest a free barbeque. There were six such protests held last year. At these protests, several students were arrested, and the SRC provided legal support for them. These do not include protests that the SRC/Union financially supported (including FTA protests, Go8 protests and Refugee protests, in which SRC members were sent at student expense to Baxter detention centre), but JUST the protests that were directly organised and led by the SRC/Union. In one case in particular, an SRC funded protest was held at Newtown Local Court to protest against police brutality at the hearing of one such protester.

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
Phanatical said:
Each protest costs in excess of $100000, with public liability, insurance, police costs, publicity materials (including t-shirts, banners and glossy A3 colour posters). There were six such protests held last year.
Why would the SRC pay police to come to rallies? That's just not right. Same with insurance etc. Protests actually don't cost much to run. It's just publicity costs. T-shirts were only produced for one rally last year, we just paint the banners ourselves and any colour posters are produced by NUS. You're really just guessing with these numbers.
Phanatical said:
At these protests, several students were arrested, and the SRC provided legal support for them.
The SRC provides free legal advice for all its members. This isn't a protest cost. The SRC has a contract with a lawyer from the Redfern Legal Centre, activists who are arrested at protests aren't causing any additional cost.
phanatical said:
In one case in particular, an SRC funded protest was held at Newtown Local Court to protest against police brutality at the hearing of one such protester.
I remember this protest too.. it can't be considered 'SRC funded'. There were no glossy posters. Material that was distributed was made by a faction (can't remember which one this protestor was from). You can achieve the numbers that were at that protest just by emailing all the activist groups in the SRC. Easy and cheap.

Edit:
Phanatical said:
As you should well know, public liability & insurance is required - even if the gathering is in a public place.
Don't patronise me. You're wrong. The SRC is only liable while you're on SRC property. You attend SRC rallies at your own risk. In terms of public liability, it falls under the University's insurance if we're on the front lawns, and the City of Sydney's if we're on George St or something.

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Rebuttals: As you should well know, public liability & insurance is required - even if the gathering is in a public place. If I were to be injured at a protest, the SRC would rightfully be held responsible. As for NUS, it's still funded by USYD students and as far as I'm concerned is just as bad. The SRC lawyer on retainer is still paid for by students.

As for "Free internet access", we already get that (6mb bandwidth a day that accumilates up to a maximum of 42mb) if we're using a wired terminal in one of the uni's computer labs.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'd suggest that the entire NUS budget goes towards protests, which amounts to about half a mil from the city unis alone.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Don't forget the airfares & accommodation for the Executive members. I wonder if there are any NUS representatives here who can actually tell us what the NUS is actually supposed to represent. Because withoutaface is right, protesting seems to be all they fucking do.

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
shit,... 604?!

they jack up the price so much...

i recall when i enrolled, twas like 400 or s th...
oh well last yr any way...

nik_noodle

HSC
I know the uni says we have to pay the fees upfront, but surely there's a loop hole in this??? It's only compulsory for the first semester technically. I feel like contacting someone and applying a bit of gentle pressure about this, I think we'd probably come out on top too.

Has anyone else questioned it?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Technically, it's required that all students enrolling for the calendar year pay the calendar year fees. That's a university senate resolution, and the only organisations that have the ear of the Senate are those who will benefit most from this.

plug: isa-usyd.org

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
@niknoodle
As much as I support this, I've already paid and there's no way in hell those guys are gonna give us refunds.

nik_noodle

HSC
Phanatical said:
Technically, it's required that all students enrolling for the calendar year pay the calendar year fees. That's a university senate resolution, and the only organisations that have the ear of the Senate are those who will benefit most from this.

plug: isa-usyd.org
funny that!

i dont know much about it, was just wondering.

What a load of shit :p

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I'm not opposed to student unionism per se. I'm more opposed to what our fucking money will be spent on. Protests (at a $100000 a piece), supporting terrorist organisations, supporting groups like the Queer Collective who are so out of touch with reality that even gay students oppose it, and (of course) NOT providing services to campuses like the Con.

ISA membership is not only free, we give out lollypops to our new members. Both the Union and SRC could be run with no more than a $5 membership fee, but it's in the interests of the political factions running the Union/SRC to keep charging us exorbitant amounts of hard earned money.

jpr333

HSC
Shutup, you are just as one sided and bias as they are phanatical. You'd be great at Chinese communist propaganda pamphlets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)