Talented Students Program (1 Viewer)

ded

The TSP at USYD sounds really cool, but i'd like to know how to apply? i know that the dean is meant to tap on ur shoulder to join, but how does the dean recognise ur achievements? does he see ur marks for science ?
anyone wif info please help lol
thnx

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
did you go to the advanced science talk, or where u part of the tsp thing they had? i thinke basically, if you've managed to make olympiad stage, or if you get a uai of above 98.8 (though this may change for our year), or if you do really well in a science subject or 4u maths, then on your uac offers sheet, it will say whether u have been offered to take part in tsp or not. if you dont get that, you can always contact the faculty and present your case eg. if you're doing a double degree, make sure you list it as sci/eng for example, rather than eng/sci - apparantely this caused alot of problems last year.

having said that, i was part of the tsp thing held in the morning (the free lunch was yum), but it didn't really appeal to me that much - prbly cos im not really a science type of person, more commerce.

ded

ahh yeh i was there today too
it seems that i will be going for the catergory to get 90+ for sciences, cos 98.8 is hard and i dont do 4u maths, only 3
i think the tsp thing is really cool, and i wanna do a science/commerce combined
the uai seems abit daunting though lol

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It's reasonably easy to get into for a specific subject if your HSC mark was in the top 10% of the state (approx).

jnothman

dismember
HSC
I don't remember the cutoffs, but basically, if you acheived a high UAI (? and good results in science) and are enrolled in the Science Faculty, you will receive a letter from the Faculty of Science offering you to do TSP, allowing you to elect certain areas of interest, which you then send in. At the start of the first semester, you are then assigned a tutor from a relevant department.

The TSP can involve many areas such as additional projects or research, or doing subjects accelerated, such as 3rd year maths subjects.

For high acheivers in maths, there is also a Special Studies Programme (SSP) which is very good and involves doing different topics (and good scaling!). [Timetable problems meant I couldn't do it this term =(]

- Joel

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Reckon he just receives the ones close to the cut-off then tick them off. The computer handles most of it. :p
Just contact the faculty if the uai's not as high, and yeah like pigs said, make your case.
(we're normal people, using the def'n loosely. Everyone here is not freakishly smart.)

Don't worry too much about workload, you don't have to choose to do tsp activities straight off once you're in.

jnothman

dismember
HSC
I haven't heard of people arguing their way into TSP as a whole. If you don't get in, I think you should just take that and leave it alone.

Generally TSP is made only for a small range of students and the uni will choose when they want to expand that, but it can be a lot of work.

Oh yeah, I think the TSP offer comes with the course offer...

pri

HSC
N/A
you can ask politely I heard (from a lecturer) and they may let you in if you are near say the criteria for band 6 and uai (eg 97.5 and 89 (in chem))

your enthusiasm for the subject may get you in. its not like its this exclusive club, its about pursuing your interests further

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)