religiousness of usyd (1 Viewer)

Daedalus

as i wandered around the UNSW kensington compus during hte open day all the notice boards were filled with religious stuff (one has to wonder at the logic of filling hte whole board with the exact same poster)
and then all the colleges but the UNSW ones are religious, with regular sermons!!!

more info here: http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&postid=238101#post238101

is there alot of religious activity at usyd as well?

thanks

timmii

sporadic attendee
The whole point of uni life is to cater for all the possible interests there could be - social, sport, political, religious etc... As a cross-section of society, how religious do u think society is? That's how religious is uni :rolleyes:

Sure the EU has posters advocating their bbq's and forums, but Subski also has the same amount of posters offering you 5 drinks for $20 at cargo bar. And subski is the biggest club on campus :p ;) :D

Usyd and uni in general, are as religious or irreligious as you want it to be, because u tend to get involved in things and spend time with people who have similar interests and perspectives, if you're not after an eclectic mix...?

As for the colleges. They're all religious "based", but well, from wat i can tell from my college friends, they seem to worship vodka more than anything else! Don't read so much into it. Its a 150 yr old uni, with a lot of traditions, and the church etc tends to have the money to support the colleges, but if u're not into it, u dont have to be!

timmii

sporadic attendee
hehe funny story...I'm not allowed to ski (i had a knee reconstruction), so i was all like meh, why join a ski society? Then someone very politely explained to me that no1 actually joins subski to *ski* :p But at that point i'd joined 9societies already and decided I'd see how i'd go. Glad i didn't join actually, coz there has not been a single subski party I've been available to attend! :p Though I reckon I'll join next year and make the effort!

So yeah, i don't know what the ski-lodge is like...The friends that ski with subski went on a new zealand trip, not to the lodge.

Edit: ok...not funny story. I think i was gonna say something else about subski and then kinda changed my mind and forgot to change that. But yes, its famous as being the club that can charitably assure a pick up for anyone :rolleyes: But the lines to get in are enormous and some friends once waited 1.5hrs to get in, and then the alcohol had run out!

Last edited:

timmii

sporadic attendee
Wow thats pretty cool...pretty stupid as well. I know the thought of snowboarding makes me feel sick at what it could do to my knees....Oh well melbournian, hopefully u'll have the opportunity to enjoy the delights of subski soon enough :p

snow bum

Banned
Places like St Andrews college are Christian but non-denominational I believe.

Yeah, ski clubs rule. First day I'm there, join the ski club. If I go to UTS and learn there isn't one (I have no idea), I'll start it!

Melbournian, that's like the guy off Storm who had a fucked ACL but skied a whole season anyway. Crazy.

spam police

Originally posted by snow bum
Yeah, ski clubs rule. First day I'm there, join the ski club. If I go to UTS and learn there isn't one (I have no idea), I'll start it!
oh yeah there's definitely a ski club at uts, melbournian's right every uni has a ski club. it's more like the orgy-fest club though, haha last year at the open day they gave out free condoms in their information pack (or was that another club..hmm)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)