i really want to go to usyd, but... (1 Viewer)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
but my parents sort of against it....... cuz i really really wanna do b sci (adv) or b sci (adv math) in usyd yeah?? but den my parents are like...... nah, u can't do it, cuz u will starve to death in da future...... so they want me to do law (which i doubt i can get in any way) or eco or commerce....... :'( wut should i do??

haz_it_all

bro.......u gotta stand up to ur parents say "BITCH IM DOIN THE HSC, IM PUTTIN UP WIT THE STRESS AND I GET TO CHOOSE MY FUKN COURSES, SO GET BAK TO THE KITCHEN AND MAKE ME SUM DINNER" :p nah man jus comprimse wit em, put law in ur preferences say like numba 4-5 and chuk a commerce course in pref 8 then fill 1-3 up wit adv sci.....2 be honest most ppl use adv sci as a stepping stone to med and most jobs are in research etc but if thats wat u wanna do then go for it man. if u jus wanna get money without given a shit wat course u do then do commerce......its easy money and theres ALWAYS jobs in commerce/business/accounting/economics but hey i say go wit ur heart.......always wanted to say that :p best of luck buddy.....Power with the Youth

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lolz much thx hzitall...... sigh~~~ wish they'd understand...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
compromise. do sci/law, sci/com etc. then.

you never know, you might be good at them too. ;) goodluck.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lolz cool ideas..... but den, apparently i fink sci/law's a bit too hard for me... so yea, sci com, is i alrite i guess=P..... thx pplz

Left-ism

HSC
typical asian parents..
do law or sumthen thatll get you money..even if u hate it or are shit at english...

i think youre old enough to make youre choice..

Mordenkainen

HSC
N/A
You should do something that you will enjoy rather than opt to go with something which doesn't interest you. It's quite definite that there will be good employment opportunities for an academically talented B Sci graduate, but that might not be the case for a not-so-talented B Com etc. graduate.
As Frigid mentioned, you could also negotiate with them about doing B Sci/B Com etc. instead (but get them to pay for the extra 2 years HECS ;))

jnothman

dismember
HSC
If you're not going to enjoy commerce, don't do commerce. It's a lie that most BSc students at Sydney are trying to use it as a stepping stone. I know my brother did, but now that I do it, I don't know anyone with that plan.

Double degree is an option, if you WILL enjoy commerce.

But also remember that you can change if you don't like one or the other. It's not fixed now.

Finally, most people here probably have no idea in terms of the ideas your parents are expressing. It it true that most BSc / adv students don't know what they're doing with themselves after uni. I'm one of them. But it gives you a chance to decide.

Also, [so that wasn't really finally], Commerce isn't business. If you want to become an accountant, a stockbroker, a banker, or someone involved in finance, fine, do commerce. But if your parents want you to become a businessman, you head where you head and do an MBA =P

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by melbournian
Just tell your parents to fuck off (not in those words obviously)....if my parents told me what to do at uni, I'd shove them in their place.
You simply can't do that with asian parents. Respect for parents always comes first, because you owe everything to them no matter what you do. Thus in asian families, even if the parents are completely wrong you never defy them, you negotiate. It usually works out in the end, and I'm sure Xiao's parents love him enough to realise sooner or later that starving or not Sci Adv is what will make their son happy.

That transfer trick is really clever. Of course, you could just show them your UAI and say "look, I can't get law, but Sci Adv has nifty scholarships and many industry cadetships, as well as openings in my desired field!" :D

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
[BThat transfer trick is really clever. Of course, you could just show them your UAI and say "look, I can't get law, but Sci Adv has nifty scholarships and many industry cadetships, as well as openings in my desired field!" :D [/B]

hehe, dat's cool...... like i am like already pretty sure i can't do law....... but the prob is that B comm is like 95 while B adv sci is like ~98...... so if i can do b sci adv, i can do b comm for sure..... but still i think i will try for b comm/ b sci(adv).........

i told this situation to my english tutor as well, and she encourages me to go wif my parents' way, cuz:
a) i owe em very very much, like nearly all asian students do
b) it will train me and make me stronger person, which i fink is right.......

but still, if i haf the mark, is it better to go for acturial at macq or b comm/ b sci at usyd? cuz i like usyd sooooooo much !!!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Your tutor is asian too right? :p

To put it bluntly, your parents want you to do law for the WRONG REASON. Take them to the law lecture on info day (Jan 6 or something) and they'll tell your parents straight out - if YOU don't want to do law then it'll screw you over. The only way you can possibly do well in university is if you do something you enjoy and have a passion for, but your parents want you to do law for money and prestige ("my son is a lawyer" just doesn't cut it).

That said, do you really want to be an actuary? Because it's just the same, only with a lower cutoff and an even more demanding course. Not to mention the fact that actuarial lectures kill you if you're not already VERY boring (sorry Jason) so be wary. Choose what you think you would like to do for a lifetime, not just three years.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It's not race as much as the culture assosciated with that race. I must say though that to asian parents anglo-saxon children are amazingly disrespectful, ungrateful and rude. They expect, demand and receive more from their parents than they (in the asian view) deserve, and it is this attitude that asian parents resent. I must say that your assumption of
Australia breaking down those barriers
smacks of navet. People don't care what country they're living in, if they were brought up in a certain way they will do all they can to pass this culture on to their children, consciously or otherwise. This is why Xiao's parents are acting the way they do, even though they live in Australia. They expect the same things their parents expected of them, and there isn't really anything fundamentally wrong with this. There may be flaws in their judgement, but theirs (and every) culture have methods to resolve such conflicts. They're just different (and sometimes more subtle, gradual, or less "abbrasive") as those you are used to.

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I agree there is differences in culture, but the Asian way of parenting isn't better than the Anglo-Saxon way and vice-versa.
Careful, that's still being debated. ;)
My point is, why do Asian kids owe more to there parents than Anglo-Saxon kids? I fail to see the logic.
I have a feeling that if Xiao had put a rolleyes at the end of that statement none of this argument would have occured. Don't you agree? :)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lolz so it's my fault now?? =P

en waz, Lexicographer, my tutor isn't asian, more like anglo saxon

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
en waz, Lexicographer, my tutor isn't asian, more like anglo saxon
Really! That DOES change things. But we don't want to argue any more, because unless you didn't mention something then there's not really much else that can be advised. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)