Safety @ Redfern (1 Viewer)

p4e81

Domesticated Daydreamer
HSC
Friends have always mentioned how "scary" the Redfern area is, but the place doesn't seem to be that bad to me (I've only been there 3 times, though). I mean, I've seen a few homeless guys sitting around... but so what?

I was browsing around the USYD site today and read this on one of the pages:

"Catch a train to Redfern train station, and then take a 10-minute walk (mugging WARNING) to the main campus. Free buses run to and from Fisher Library and Redfern station in the evening during semester - not recommended after dark"

Mugging warning
?! At first I found it funny but, does that actually happen? =/

KarmaKitten

HSC
Not really.

Its actually quite safe due to the huge stream of students walking up and down all day. However you do get people sking for money almost every morning in front of the station.

But I'm sure mugging happen sometimes.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I've never heard of a mugging in Redfern, and it's definitely completely safe during the daytime. I'd probably take advantage of the security bus in the evening though, just to be on the safe side.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Late hours on a friday or saturday night gets a bit hectic sometimes.

Incessant screaming and arguing.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I had 14 year olds try to mug me in vic park once.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Uni bus runs after 5pm to and from Redfurn every 10 or so minutes during semester. Yeah it's alright most of the time, prob best not walking by yourself too late at night by yourself.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
i got beaten and mugged for $40 by a group of 4 adult aboriginal males, 2 minutes walk down from Redfern station on a thursday afternoon in broad daylight while still in my school uniform.

moral of the story: avoid aboriginals

this was on Gibbson street though (the side exit of the station). the front tends to have some uni students walking around during the day making the area a bit safer.

Last edited:

blakegman

HSC
N/A
It's pretty dodgy. But just grow some balls really.

HSC
I've heard the bad things about Redfern. You're safe travelling with the crowd of usyd students. :D

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
ive only gotten off at redfern once in the day and i was walking alone .. since uni hadn't started yet , the whole place was pretty empty lol. xD

a few beggars just outside the station though.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
I think it's almost perfectly fine but I've only been there during the day. I usually go to Central to catch the train home so I can catch an express.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I've heard some horror stories about being there at night, but it does come down to luck. A mate saw some bloke getting beaten to a bleeding pulp by the Aborigines in a side street there at night (the one next to the station where they start campfires). Then again, during the day it seems very safe due to the stream of people.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
A uni student with normal uni hours will have no problems at redfern, because from like 8am-5.30pm there are loads of other students. Travel with the herd and you're fine.

After dark, however, catch the security bus or go to Central, just to be safe.

kokodamonkey

HSC
i wonder when i walk past why all those people are standing around doing nothing when they should be out working contributing to society and paying taxes... but im yet to put that question to them personally..

stazi

Nightman
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
yeah but ive heard horror stories about that sort of random attack happening everywhere. darlinghurst, the cross and the cbd have heaps higher rates of violent crime than redfern.
yes, but the cross, darlinghurst and the CBD are going out spots. This crime occurs very late (i.e. often after midnight - peak being 3am if i recall correctly) and after people have been drinking.

Redfern isn't a going out spot, and this crime often occurs much earlier.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
withoutaface said:
I had 14 year olds try to mug me in vic park once.
did you win?

edit: redfern at night is pretty intimidating but imo stazi is right, i've seen more fights and stuff on george street past 12am. Just walk with confidence and (if you can't) in groups...or trail 10m behind an asian girl, they'll probably attack her first giving yourself the chance to escape >_>

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
kokodamonkey said:
i wonder when i walk past why all those people are standing around doing nothing when they should be out working contributing to society and paying taxes... but im yet to put that question to them personally..
I only know two of them that are there every day. the rest very well could be working, but in any case, it's a bit of a redundant point. :santa:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
redfern is fine during the day. even pleasant. i've only been there once after dark, nothing bad happened to me apart from getting lost and having to stick my head into someone's open front door to ask directions because there was noone on the street to ask :/ and then a couple of drunk guys followed me to the station, but i was walking pretty damn fast and they could barely walk in a straight line so it was all good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)