Alternative methods for entrance (1 Viewer)

Winston

HSC
Is there absolutely anymore further ways of getting into ur course?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
wintson, flip to the bottom of page 226 of your UAC guide... *me too lazy to type everything out*

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
u can wait till ur r 21 and apply as mature age ( i think its 21, not sure).
i'm trying for vet, and they want a distinction average in my current course, good STAT test results, and loads of work experience. work experience is always a good thing, do as much as u can, it always loooks good on applications

Generator

HSC
N/A
Well, the BCST has the portfolio (Which you already know about), and then you could always try writing a letter asking for admission (it can work if you are just below the cut-off, although that was for a software engineering degree, and the Science Faculty may not take any note of something like that).

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Originally posted by melbournian
Yeah, thats how my mum got into Law. She went to the Dean's office everyday for three weeks and he said that "if you have that much dedication, than I have no doubts you will do well". or something of that effect.
wow, i should try that for vet. dont think it would work though... although, if i dont get in this time around, i might just put up a tent outside the deans office.

ErgoSum

HSC
Software Engo

Dont know about bachelor of computer science but if ur interested in software engineeering at Usyd (which overlaps computer science but is more electrical/management) electrical engineering and software engineering have the same first year, but elec engo has a far lower uai. Once uve completed first year you only need a credit average to do an intrafaculty switch (uac is not involved and they dont look at ur uai.) So thats one way

eeyore

I've heard that sometimes the UAI cutoffs that they publish are sometimes higher than the actual cut off ie. people who get just below are still able to get in after 2nd round offers
I'm not sure if this is true, but if it is then you might have a chance there

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I'm sure Laz will correct me, but cutoffs are defined as the lowest score to which a place was granted in the main round, aren't they? Thus the published "cutoff" doesn't take the later rounds into account.

Last edited:

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
uh actually for some courses they accept some people with UAI's just below the cut off. it happened to a few friends of mine! LOL!

i remember reading somewhere on this forum that usyd uses the "cut offs" as like an indication of how hard the course is and that some people who are right under can still make it in, provided that there are spots.

see what happened to my friend was, he was like 0.2 just under the cutoff for a course at mac uni, and he still got an offer in the main round! we figured that since we came from a sucky high school, we got bonus points at some uni's because i remember reading something about UOW giving those students in their local area extra uai points when considering their intake! or was it NEWCASTLE? uh i forget..//

Last edited:

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
USyd's cutoffs are the 'expected' minimum achievement by any student doing the course, which is different to UNSW in that it is the lowest persons UAI who entered into the course (this is discounting the EAS students)

Winston

HSC
Well i guess i have absolutely no chance of getting into comp sci :(

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Software in comp sci is a lot of work man. I'm sure you can get in by asking, but I'd say you want to be sure first.

Besides, usyd UAI cutoffs are just nuts anyway. Engineering gets the 80 because of the few people finishing by the time you get to 4th year.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by BlackJack
Software in comp sci is a lot of work man. I'm sure you can get in by asking, but I'd say you want to be sure first.

Besides, usyd UAI cutoffs are just nuts anyway. Engineering gets the 80 because of the few people finishing by the time you get to 4th year.

I have a passion in programming and i don't think the HSC was able to show my passion towards it, yes although i'm sure i'd have to elect some other course that's non computer related as a backup, i'm fine with it, i'm gonna be submitting my portfolio to them this week to try for luck.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
why not try for a b. science and pick the comp sci components like software 1001/1002 and isys1003.. and of course you have to do the maths which is compulsory for all degrees under the science faculty.. and then just transfer after your second year... that way you shouldn't lose a year and finish in the 3 years, or 4 if you choose to tranfers to honours or b. IT!

or you could do a b. arts and pick the math and software and any other compulsory comp sci units. because with the b. arts you just have to have 1 table A/ arts major and the rest of the other 6 units are up to you! then of course transfer after first year.

you need a credit average to transfer to comp sci, i've already asked...

oh and as blackjack already said, the software programming is alot of work, its not vb like what you did in SDD (i'm assuming you did SDD). they learn JAVA! like the other uni's, except uws!

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by jlh
why not try for a b. science and pick the comp sci components like software 1001/1002 and isys1003.. and of course you have to do the maths which is compulsory for all degrees under the science faculty.. and then just transfer after your second year... that way you shouldn't lose a year and finish in the 3 years, or 4 if you choose to tranfers to honours or b. IT!

or you could do a b. arts and pick the math and software and any other compulsory comp sci units. because with the b. arts you just have to have 1 table A/ arts major and the rest of the other 6 units are up to you! then of course transfer after first year.

you need a credit average to transfer to comp sci, i've already asked...

oh and as blackjack already said, the software programming is alot of work, its not vb like what you did in SDD (i'm assuming you did SDD). they learn JAVA! like the other uni's, except uws!
lol i dont get what all these units of things u mean, it's a little confusing to me...

yeah i did SDD lol yeah i know the pre-reqs of the course, it's not la la land, i'm determined to learn all that, and i'm game enough, hey you're a prestoner lol.. i'm a "casual" :p...

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
lol i dont get what all these units of things u mean, it's a little confusing to me...
well all i'm saying is just get into a general degree like a b. science (preferably) or b. arts and pick the first year comp sci units, then after first year, provided you got a C average, you can transfer to b. comp sci in your second year without losing a year!

oh a 'unit of study' is just the fancy way of saying what subject it is. LOL :) each first year subject is worth 6 credit points each. in total to finish your degree on time, you need to have 48 credit points per year (or 24 per semester). that equates to 4 subjects or units of study per semester for the first year.

you should download the current student faculty hand books for the science faculty to see how the comp sci course is structured and whats involved.

ask if you have any more questions!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)