2007 Graduate Starting Salaries Stats are Out (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
2007 stats are out. Graduate Destination Statistics - Students - The University of Sydney

B Com has quite a good median salary, but only with 53% full time employment. Should be interesting how the 08 kids fare, given the GFS.

Com (Lib) was excellent: $49k. Then again, it's a bit misleading as it has a much smaller sample size (of 34). Still, this could be recognition that all rounder degees are more recognised these gays.

Arts has improved a lot in starting salary since 2004. Median is now $40k, but only 27% proceeded to full time employment. The jobs they have are pretty shit, though.

Arts (honours) students also have high unemployment.

Visual Arts students are pretty pwned :( 27.5k starting salary. Only 16.7% in full time employment.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
the problem with these stats is that they're taken only six months after graduation, which privileges the degrees that have major corporations employing people on reasonably high salaries via graduate programs (i.e. law and the big accounting and mining companies, mainly). for degrees that don't have such clearly defined post-graduation pathways, it can take longer to find a full-time professional job, but because the survey happens so quickly after graduation it doesn't show where those grads end up. i'd be more interested in a three-year or five-year survey.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
the problem with these stats is that they're taken only six months after graduation, which privileges the degrees that have major corporations employing people on reasonably high salaries via graduate programs (i.e. law and the big accounting and mining companies, mainly). for degrees that don't have such clearly defined post-graduation pathways, it can take longer to find a full-time professional job, but because the survey happens so quickly after graduation it doesn't show where those grads end up. i'd be more interested in a three-year or five-year survey.
Do you really need a survey for that? Most Arts grads end up on centrelink.

Also, that's not a problem with the survey. It's important to find out what you start on, as well. I want money now, not just in 20 years.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I was assuming that Medicine graduates would get some handsome pay...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Medicine has low starting salaries, as they start off as interns or whatever, but through time they get heaps.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Hahahahaha @ the science one

Half of them are delivery driver (pizza hut), barista or sales assistant (hungry jacks).

Jesus fuck I hope I graduate to a job.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Oh yay, my degree is composed of two major areas with low employment prospects, joy.

Still ends up higher than the individual degrees however. They have an interesting sample group though, I know that the proportion of those choosing Psychology as their Science major is much higher than that. (*cough* glorified Arts degree *cough*) And everyone seems to choose Spanish or other less useful European languages for that compulsory component.

Oh well, shrug.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Hahahahaha @ the science one

Half of them are delivery driver (pizza hut), barista or sales assistant (hungry jacks).

Jesus fuck I hope I graduate to a job.
thought you were doing software eng?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I love the listing in the science one

Job: Bus Driver
Major: History and Philosophy of Science

HSC
Although a lot of arties go on to do further study as well :(

Edit: Actually, looking at other faculties, the percentage of arties engaging in further study isn't that high.

You are all bourgeois scum.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
B.Ed had 73% in full time employment, 50k median salary.

Not bad.

cathyjun28

HSC
Dentists sure have high salary, even when they are just starting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)