question about fees (1 Viewer)

TheKey

HSC
i've done this years HSC and would like to go to Sydney Software engeneering, but if i cant get ~95UAI, i saw that for a "fee paying" student you can get in with ~89UAI.

My question is, would it be possible to get in with 89 as a "fee paying" student and do really well in your first year (credit or whatever) and then make a switch to do the same course but as a "Hecs" student? So basically you only pay the fees for first year and continue as a normal student afterwards.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah its possible, but to transfer you will have to get good marks, like the equivalent of the 95 UAI but in uni terms. If u struggled to get that in high school, chances are you will struggle in uni, especially since the competition is of a higher standard.

TheKey

HSC
The thing is i really dont know what UAI im going to get so i still have no idea what to do, software engeneering was tempting because its computer related (my biggest strenth in high school) and has a high UAI requirement so competition for jobs once you leave Uni must be limited.

but now i may consider something like computer science instead as its ~82UAI for HECS.

ErgoSum

HSC
SOftware Engo

Hey im doing software engo at Sydney uni, the course seems pretty good in general but the first year subjects this year were ok, nothing special.
But.. if you want to do software Engo and you dont think you will get such a great UAI, at our uni, software, telecom, electrical and computer all have the same first year. The difference is the uai for electrical is like 80. Bascily if you do electrical engineering at Sydney uni, you will do the exact same subjects as first year Software Engineering. Also, after a year you can do an intrafaculty swap, which only requires a credit average, is not through UAC and they dont look at ur UAI at all, one of my friends swapped from geo Engineering to software this way, and im sure that swapping between different EE departments is even easier.
Some links
Electrical Engo Subjects
http://www.ee.usyd.edu.au/ugrad/Degree_Info/ee_res.phtml
Software engo Subject
http://www.ee.usyd.edu.au/ugrad/Degree_Info/se_res.phtml

So... put software engineering as your first preference but put elec engo as a backup, cos first year is the same anyway

ErgoSum

HSC
Hmm, im not sure about that..I do know that my friend just swapped from Geological Engineering to Software engineering without going through UAC, all he needed was a credit average.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Nah thats not always true, one of my friends switched from Horticulture to Agriculture, which has a higher UAI, and all she had to do was go to the faculty office and ask to switch, she didnt need a credit average or anything. But then, maybe Ag is not quite as popular for transferring into...

TheKey

HSC
ok thx guys, on the day we get our UAI's we are meant to go to our school for a "get together" so il ask my career advisor to confirm that you can definatly swap from a lower to a higher UAI course without losing a year, (at least for the electrical->software).

However is this the only 'back door' enrolment to a course without losing a year, are there any other ways i should enquire about with my career advisor? i remember someone once posted a website about all these back door ways to get into uni, does anyone remember it?

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
someone said once that they just visited the dean every day until the dean got sick of them and let them in. dunno if thats true or not. You could do mature age, but then you loose a couple of years. Why dont you just ask your careers advisor about what backdoor ways he'she knows of?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)