Juggling preferences (1 Viewer)

freespace

The problem:
I got my first preference, b. adv science @ usyd.

Now I WANTED to do that, but I changed my mind after I got my UAI, and wanted my SECOND preference, b. engineering/b. science @ usyd instead.

Now I forgot the change my preference on the 5th, and I was banking on that since b. adv science is 96, and I only got 94.2, I would get my second preference of b. eng/b. sci which has a UAI cut off of 90 ish.

How should I go about getting my second preference?

Should I a) accept, and transfer later b) reject offer, change preference, and hope for latter round offers

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve

santaslayer

HSC
accept current offer and then try for late round..if late round fails then try to transfer after 1st year

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by freespace
The problem:
I got my first preference, b. adv science @ usyd.

Now I WANTED to do that, but I changed my mind after I got my UAI, and wanted my SECOND preference, b. engineering/b. science @ usyd instead.

Now I forgot the change my preference on the 5th, and I was banking on that since b. adv science is 96, and I only got 94.2, I would get my second preference of b. eng/b. sci which has a UAI cut off of 90 ish.

How should I go about getting my second preference?

Should I a) accept, and transfer later b) reject offer, change preference, and hope for latter round offers

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve
How did u manage to get your 1st preference when u scored lower than the cut-off?

Anyway, u should accept the offer and u can still do an engineering subject in your 4th subject elective in the adv science course program. Then u can transfer at the end of the year.

freespace

Thanks for that ultimate and santaslayer.

As for how I managed to get it, I have no idea. Maybe they thought that due to my better marks (relative to my OTHER marks) I can still do it despite being 2 points lower... but I don't know, its all black magic and voodoo to me :p

I'll give them a call tommorow too, hope to have this sorted. If worst comes to worst, ultimate still has a very good point.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freespace
Thanks for that ultimate and santaslayer.

As for how I managed to get it, I have no idea. Maybe they thought that due to my better marks (relative to my OTHER marks) I can still do it despite being 2 points lower... but I don't know, its all black magic and voodoo to me :p

I'll give them a call tommorow too, hope to have this sorted. If worst comes to worst, ultimate still has a very good point.

flexible entry scheme i believe... i have the same problem... i got applied b sci (adv math) as my 4th and b sci/ b comm as my 5th... i wanted to do 5th, which has a lower cut off, (lower dan my uai of 98.25) but b sci (adv math) has higher cut off dan my uai: 98.65.... some how i was offered b sci (adv math)..... so yea

i said it else where but i say it again: flexible entry killed me...
unless of couse, if i can transfer 1st yr..... =p blehz...

ps, @ freespace: u must haf achieved soem awesome mark in sci subjects or u haf participated in other form of science activies... cuz they make their selection dat way for flexible entry...

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
I think if u are situated far enough away from uni u get an advantage of a max 2 UAI points when aplying for a course, that is only if the course hasn't been filled completely by others above the cut-off for the course.

freespace

I live at Concord West, the campus is at Redfern, its around 20 minutes by train, still fairly close.

xiao1985: my science wasn't THAT exceptional :p The only noteworthy archievement I ever had was being the reserve for the Australian IOI team, but that has nothing to do with science :S

I also checked the papers today, both adv science and b.sci/b.eng have no more vacancies :(

Going to ring them in a bit, and see if it can get sorted... Otherwise I have to transfer in second year.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
@ freespace: hey pal: we in da same boat... well similar... i look fwnd to transfer... btw, wut's ioi??? international olymiad international??

=p blehz

freespace

xiao1985:
IOI = International Olympiad in informatisc (aka programming/coding).

The selection school was the best 10 days of my life :D

Rand usyd today, they said if worst comes to worst, i can talk to the ppl in the engineering faculty, "they are always looking for good students" :D

Hope it all works out in the later/final rounds. Changed my preferences.

Cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)