Good place to live at that is close to Usyd (1 Viewer)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Hi, I'm thinking of moving to an area from where I can easily commute to Usyd.

Which area would be the best in terms of:
transport (close to the nearby train station and easy to get to Usyd by e.g. bus or train), shops, safety, and quiet environment?

Thanks.

P.S. Going to move into a house/unit with my family

philphie

Banned
HSC
Hi, I'm thinking of moving to an area from where I can easily commute to Usyd.

Which area would be the best in terms of:
transport (close to the nearby train station and easy to get to Usyd by e.g. bus or train), shops, safety, and quiet environment?

Thanks.

P.S. Going to move into a house/unit with my family
since you're moving together with your family you'd probably want a more family oriented environment right? thean the 'cleanest' places in the inner west with a lot of family things to do i would have to suggest is Balmain/Rozelle or Leichhardt/Lilyfield. from these places you can either take the tram at Rozelle bay or Lilyfield to Central, then take a train to Redfern. or take a bus, or if you;re living in Leichhardt, you can basically just walk it to petersham station to get to Redfern station. or if you want to make it minimal commute then Camperdown, you can just walk to uni. i don't mention newtown/stanmore/petersham/lewisham etc. because despite being great places to live, you have better access to stuff at places like Leichhardt at Norton Plaza or something. hope that helps. where are you moving from? are you renting or buying? if you're looking for something a bit cheaper then i would probably reconsider Lewisham/Petersham

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
since you're moving together with your family you'd probably want a more family oriented environment right? thean the 'cleanest' places in the inner west with a lot of family things to do i would have to suggest is Balmain/Rozelle or Leichhardt/Lilyfield. from these places you can either take the tram at Rozelle bay or Lilyfield to Central, then take a train to Redfern. or take a bus, or if you;re living in Leichhardt, you can basically just walk it to petersham station to get to Redfern station. or if you want to make it minimal commute then Camperdown, you can just walk to uni. i don't mention newtown/stanmore/petersham/lewisham etc. because despite being great places to live, you have better access to stuff at places like Leichhardt at Norton Plaza or something. hope that helps. where are you moving from? are you renting or buying? if you're looking for something a bit cheaper then i would probably reconsider Lewisham/Petersham
Another vote for leichhardt
You don't want to touch the light rail, biggest rip ever. its like $5/6
Metrobus every 10-15 minutes goes via usyd, walk up to town hall get a bus within minutes

philphie

Banned
HSC
Another vote for leichhardt
You don't want to touch the light rail, biggest rip ever. its like $5/6
Metrobus every 10-15 minutes goes via usyd, walk up to town hall get a bus within minutes
i go on neither light rail or metrobus, i usually walk it to anywhere or at least to a station which is never far away anyway.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Strathfield or Burwood, there's a train that goes straight to Redfern Station which would cause the train ride to be like 10minutes max.

jaimebien

HSC
Enmore is pretty good too. It shares the same postcode as Newtown but isn't that expensive. You could walk to USYD, or just catch a bus.

I'm moving house to be closer to uni too. I live in Parramatta and was considering Newtown but my sister (who will be going to UNSW) wasn't a fan of Enmore because of the older-style houses.

Being that close to the city, suburbs like Enmore/Newtown/Lilyfield tend to be older and smaller for a higher cost. So, if you prefer not to compromise on such things, somewhere like Concord is good, which is where I'll be moving to shortly. Someone above suggested Strathfield/Burwood, which I personally dislike because those suburbs tend to be rundown and not very nice, even though they are quite costly. Concord is a good alternative to Strathfield/Burwood because you still have access to the train line (20 mins to the city) but the area is really leafy and Majors Bay Rd has nice cafes and restaurants which you can visit during the weekends. It's also near the water, so you can catch the ferry to the city if you like!

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
I currently live near Hurstville.
We are going to rent so we prob don't want too expensive areas.

Thanks heaps to everyone (esp philphie and jaimebien) who replied to my thread! (except one person)
You were of great help although I'd still have to discuss things with my family/research further to make the final decision.

philphie

Banned
HSC
Enmore is pretty good too. It shares the same postcode as Newtown but isn't that expensive. You could walk to USYD, or just catch a bus.

I'm moving house to be closer to uni too. I live in Parramatta and was considering Newtown but my sister (who will be going to UNSW) wasn't a fan of Enmore because of the older-style houses.

Being that close to the city, suburbs like Enmore/Newtown/Lilyfield tend to be older and smaller for a higher cost. So, if you prefer not to compromise on such things, somewhere like Concord is good, which is where I'll be moving to shortly. Someone above suggested Strathfield/Burwood, which I personally dislike because those suburbs tend to be rundown and not very nice, even though they are quite costly. Concord is a good alternative to Strathfield/Burwood because you still have access to the train line (20 mins to the city) but the area is really leafy and Majors Bay Rd has nice cafes and restaurants which you can visit during the weekends. It's also near the water, so you can catch the ferry to the city if you like!
true Concord is good value which reminds me also think about Abbotsford, the only problem with Abbotsford though is no train, but then there's also north strathfield which has a train. i never mentioned concord or abbotsford because i do prefer the smaller victorian terraces than flashy new mcmansion homes.

areas i would not recommend would be parts of Green Square, Tempe, St Peters or Marrickville. Green Square although is currently being gentrified still has some dodgy parts. tempe, st peters and Marrickville are alright but they are most definitely not the best part of the inner west

rx34

HSC
I'm going to Usyd next year as well. Can anyone recommend any privately-owned student apartments that are about 5-10mins walking distance to the university? Probably something like Unilodge but cheaper. (<$250/room)

gella

HSC
err wtf isnt hurstville only 15 minutes or so?

KarmaKitten

HSC
My vote would also go for Enmore. As well as Stanmore/Petersham, they're quieter than Newtown and slightly less expensive as well but still quite close to the university.

It's probably best to do your research though and make sure you're happy with the apartment/house that you plan to rent. Also jaimebien was right that a lot of houses in that area tend to be older style houses so they might not be in the best condition.

dafs2

HSC
err wtf isnt hurstville only 15 minutes or so?

15 mins?!!! Marrickville is about 6km from Central and that takes 15 mins on a train. Hurstville is 14km from Redfern and it's about 25-30 min DRIVING

bio_nut

HSC
15 mins?!!! Marrickville is about 6km from Central and that takes 15 mins on a train. Hurstville is 14km from Redfern and it's about 25-30 min DRIVING
Hurstville is only about 20 mins max by train.

Alex499

HSC
I catch the train from Hurstville every day. It takes less than half an hour for me to get to uni, including walking time. It's like 25 minutes MAX from Hurstville to Redfern station.

I wouldn't be moving solely because to save 10-15 minutes. It's not even far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)