help with picking subjects for a science degree! (1 Viewer)

ben150891

HSC
hey there,
i have no idea how to pick subjects for my science degree. I am doing a major in biology and have no idea how i pick my subjects. Is there like a list of core units that you have to do and then you pick the rest yourself? i don't understand how it works. Also can i choose subjects from the animal science degree like animal structure and function and other animal subjects?
thanks in advance

diet cola

HSC
N/A
Planning for a Biology major
Essential: 12 credit points of Junior Biology/ Molecular Biology & Genetics and 12 credit points of Junior Chemisty are needed to enrol in Intermediate units of study in Biology.
Recommended: BIOL(1001 or 1901) and BIOL(1002 or 1902) and 12 credit points of Junior Chemistry and 12 credit points of Junior Mathematics and 6 credit points of MBLG(1001 or 1901). Students who have not completed HSC or equivalent Biology are strongly recommended to take the Biology Bridging Course in February. Details are available from www-secure.cce.usyd.edu.au.

In summary:

Semester 1
BIOL1001 - 6cp
CHEM1XXX - 6cp
MATH1XXX - 3cp
MATH1XXX - 3cp
Other elective - 6cp

Semester 2
BIOL1002 - 6cp
CHEM1XXX - 6cp
MATH1XXX - 3cp
MATH1XXX - 3cp
MBLG1001 - 6cp

TOTAL - 48cp

That other elective in Semester 1, I believe, can be filled with a subject from the animal science degree.
You will have to check with someone with more knowledge though as I am not so sure myself. First year as well. :)

To determine what Junior Chemistry/Maths subjects to do check the online handbook.
Just scroll down until you reach Chemistry/Maths and be sure to check what Semester the courses actually run in.

If all else fails, whenever you enrol there will be people there that will help and make sure that you have picked the right subjects.

Sorry for the long post.

ben150891

HSC
thanks for that. so after this ferst year can you pretty much choose all your subjects yourself. but choose them from the senior list of subjects?

amber44

HSC

kennalj

HSC
if you're majoring in a biology type subject look at the handbook for whatever interests you most, generally first year you should do chemistry 1 and 2, and 2 other biology subjects, alot of people do molecular biology and human anatomy. look at the senior subjects for your major and not the prerequisites, you have to those intermediate subjects second year and some of those intermediate subjects themselves have prerequisites, subjects you must complete in first year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)