Textbooks? (1 Viewer)

madsam

God among men
HSC
Hey all, just wondering what textbooks it is recommended to buy/acquire for these courses, or just general advice about these courses:

AERO1560 – Introduction to Aerospace Engineering
MATH1001 – Differential Calculus
MATH1002 – Linear Algebra
ENGG1801 – Engineering Computing
ENGG1803 – Professional Engineering 1
MATH1003 – Integral Calculus and Modelling
MATH1005 – Statistics
ENGG1802 – Engineering Mechanics
AERO1400 – Intro to Aircraft Construction & Design
AMME1550 – Dynamics 1

I'm doing aeronautical engineering, but my goal is to transfer over to aeronautical (space) at the end of the year, i know they do the same course in first year, but is there any "recommended" things they read for their course?

amber44

HSC
Hey all, just wondering what textbooks it is recommended to buy/acquire for these courses, or just general advice about these courses:

AERO1560 – Introduction to Aerospace Engineering
MATH1001 – Differential Calculus
MATH1002 – Linear Algebra
ENGG1801 – Engineering Computing
ENGG1803 – Professional Engineering 1
MATH1003 – Integral Calculus and Modelling
MATH1005 – Statistics
ENGG1802 – Engineering Mechanics
AERO1400 – Intro to Aircraft Construction & Design
AMME1550 – Dynamics 1

I'm doing aeronautical engineering, but my goal is to transfer over to aeronautical (space) at the end of the year, i know they do the same course in first year, but is there any "recommended" things they read for their course?
Congratulations on being prepared!
With textbooks, just wait until semester starts, you'll get all that information then. If you're wanting to get some idea of what some of the material might be, have a look in here >>> http://community.boredofstudies.org...ydney/133529/unit-study-outline-exchange.html
for the unit you're after. We aware though that unit rundowns and material can change from semester to semester.

madsam

God among men
HSC
unfortunately all those listed are for humanities subjects, english, business, economics etc and nothing listed for engineering =\

Also, i currently have 24 cp for first semester, and 24 for second, would it be too much to pick up an elective and do 30 in either of those semesters? The time at uni doesnt really phase me, as long as im not having like, 6 hours with no breaks =\ Cause i can see that as being a bit too much maybe

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Also, i currently have 24 cp for first semester, and 24 for second, would it be too much to pick up an elective and do 30 in either of those semesters? The time at uni doesnt really phase me, as long as im not having like, 6 hours with no breaks =\ Cause i can see that as being a bit too much maybe
You will probably have 6 hour blocks if you do 30cp a semester.

Don't buy maths textbooks. In fact, don't buy any textbook until uni starts. Most textbooks are for reference only and not very useful.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
You will be told in your first lecture exactly what textbooks you need. Don't buy anything beforehand.

Most faculties don't allow overloading in first year. There is certainly no chance of them letting you in your first semester. Get a feel for the work load required at uni before considering it.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Most faculties don't allow overloading in first year. There is certainly no chance of them letting you in your first semester.
Engineering is pretty relaxed on this matter, especially if Doug Auld is still associate dean.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
u should definetely buy all your textbooks now because (a) you will save money and (b) you will be prepared

hysteria85

HSC
You will be told in your first lecture exactly what textbooks you need. Don't buy anything beforehand.
This.

u should definetely buy all your textbooks now because (a) you will save money and (b) you will be prepared
Not this.

Definately wait until lectures start, just don't try to buy textbooks from co-op during lunchtime. Huge lines.

Anyway, if things haven't changed much in the last couple of years (and they may have, hence the waiting until lectures to buy books):

You'll need textbooks for Mechanics and Dynamics (not too hard to find these second hand, and some people have been able to find online versions).

The Maths courses have ready-made lecture note book thingys which you buy for <$20 at kopystop near broadway, but as said the lecturers will tell you exactly what you need. For a couple of them there were other textbooks recommended, but aren't really needed, depending on your maths competence. David Easdown's linear algebra book was very helpful though, and he's a great lecturer.

For the first couple of weeks of these subjects the tutors had printouts of tute questions for those who didn't have textbooks yet.

No textbooks needed for prof eng, or the aero subjects.

As for your other question, as far as I can recall the space kids didn't do or read anything different during first year, except for one assignment in AERO1560, where an aircraft was researched. Most of the space people did a rocket/shuttle instead, but it wasn't a hugely in depth assignment, so won;t make much of difference in the long run.

If you're unsure about what to do in terms of changing to space, ask KC (first year aero lecturer) his advice after a lecture.

Any other questions feel free to PM (starting 4th year aero this year).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)