If you attend Usyd - make sure you don't get cancer (1 Viewer)

nicbec

HSC
N/A
If you are in the unfortunate position to be diagnosed with cancer, with only the final exams to be completed in the final semester of your degree (and only marks away from passing the subjects) the University of Sydney provides very few options;
1) Accept a DNF (Did Not Finish)
2) Sit the exam (During the exam period or a deferred exam period)

Although you have registered with Disability Services, completed special consideration paperwork, submitted medical documentation stating you are unable to sit exams (let alone study for them) - the University insists it is reasonable to have you sit the exams.

It must be mentioned, one compassionate unit of study co-ordinator when finding out about the situation agreed to reweight the mark, and the exam did not need to be sat. But 3 lecturers and Disability Services believed it was reasonable to require a student who was undergoing chemotherapy and being affected by medication to sit the exams. In fact, one person implied the student was at an advantage as the deferred exam provided them with additional time to study - when you are having chemotherapy the last thing you think to do is get out your notes to study!

Other options offered by the student as being more reasonable included a take home exam, open book exam, assignment, reweighting - all of which were dismissed.

Do you know of anyone else who has experienced a similar situation? What are your thoughts?

pman

Banned
HSC
That totaly sucks.....UAC give you bonus UAI points if anyone in your family undergoes chemo in the 2 yrs before ur HSC exams (which I took advantage of). I can't believe the uni would be so callous.

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
um

why should the university award you the unit if you are unable to study or sit the exam

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
ok do it

if i'm in a coma for >3 years usyd should give me a bachelor's degree right

mckensara

HSC
ok do it

if i'm in a coma for >3 years usyd should give me a bachelor's degree right
there should be a fairer system in place that caters to peoples different needs and tested to circumstance as to be equitable, in a similar way to admissions and extensions.

clearly this instance is totally unforeseen and depending on her grades throughout the degree, they should award it. dont be so closed minded.

pman

Banned
HSC
i want to hit you in the side of the head with a bat.
sigh.
+1
um

why should the university award you the unit if you are unable to study or sit the exam
no, the girl has basically passed the course! She just can't move! She'll be constantly nauseas, fatigued and imunosuppressed so it won't really be safe for her to go in. From the sounds of it, she doesn't need many marks to pass and there was no doubt at all until she was diagnosed.

All she really wants to do is sit the tests at a later date...there is no physical way she could get any advantage from this!

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
the university offered a deferred exam

or the option to withdraw from the course without a fail grade

both reasonable responses

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
i thought this thread was saying that there's carcinogenic materials at USYD (ie. asbestos)
There is, in the transient building or whatever it's called.

@ OP- that's a horrid scenario. But i suppose there's no choice but to sit a deferred exam.

pman

Banned
HSC
OP, Have you got a disabled pass for your car, if not, go to ur GP and get one b4 you start

ac91

HSC
I hope you get well soon and I think that this is a large injustice.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just mention uni colleges too, that'll help.

Seriously: That really sucks. I know so many ppl who fake special consideration, and in your case it's quite disappointing the uni could not help you better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)