Being late to lectures?? (1 Viewer)

E

Elenessa

So I worked my timetable out so it fits in perfectly with my working schedule.

Only problem I can forsee is beacuse i'm enrolled in BCom/Arts my Tuesday lineup involves running between Camperdown and Darlington every hour or so

So...how annoyed are lecturers generally at people turning up late (running from Merewether to Chemistry Lecture theatre)?

Is it preferable to leave a tutorial early or to walk into a lecture late? Or, for that matter, leave a leacture 5 min early to reach a tutorial on time?

Sorry if these are silly questions. I'm the kind of person who likes to be 10 min early for everything 'just in case'

All useful advice would be much appreciated

elenessa

KarmaKitten

HSC
Yeah, lectures run from 5 past the hour to 5 to the hour.

You can definitely leave a lecture a little bit early if you need to run to a tutorial. I do it a lot of the time. If I am late to a lecture, I just make sure that I come in quietly and don't disrupt the lecture. This has never been a problem.

Although the lecturer for Environmental Politics would make the BIGGEST deal about people being late even 6 minutes and would stop just to tell them off and say things like 'if you're not gonna be on time, don't bother coming at all'. Her fault for putting a two hour lecture at 9am!

But you should be fine really.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Most lectures don't care when you arrive or leave the lecture. And remember, you usually have the +-5minutes.

konkzz

HSC
i rock up to lectures half an hour late and the lecturers don't care

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Re: Being late to tutorials??

Rocking up late to tuts is worse. However, you should be able to leave a few minutes early from your first tut. If they ask you why, then tell them you have another class.

handels584

HSC
In general, tutorials and labs should also start at five minutes past the hour and finish by five minutes to the hour. However, there are some notable exceptions.

For example, in 2007, the junior Physics labs began on the hour and finished ten minutes to the hour.

Also, if your next class is on the other side of City Road, you might find that the distance between the two classes is over a thousand metres. As you normally only have about eight minutes (and often even less) to arrive at the next class on time, a distance of 1 km equates to an average travel speed of at least 7.5 km/h, considerably faster than a 'brisk' walk of 6 km/h. If your next class starts on the hour, then this speed blows to a virtually unattainable 15 - 20 km/h (you are not allowed to use a bicycle on walkways and there are signs indicating this). This is something you should consider when customising your timetable.

Furthermore, be warned that some particularly nasty lecturers are known to conduct roll calls on a regular basis as was the case with ELEC1103 in 2007. Also, an IT lecturer claimed that in the past, late students often found themselves being locked out of 8 am MATH lectures (I think they have stopped doing this though)!

witide

HSC
Don't be too late or you might get a detention.

But as has already been stated, tutorials are your first priority, lectures last. People will understand if you're late since not everybody has a perfect schedule.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Re: Being late to tutorials??

What about being late to tutorials? I just realised I have two consecutive tutorials - one on Shepherd St and one on Fisher Rd. Not sure how long the walk takes.

Campus Page
Which exact two buildings are the two tutorials in?

I think that's definitely do-able, if you leave 5 minutes before the hour, you should be there in time.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Don't worry. I'm doing an extra subject as part of my double, and I can't get to either of my two commerce lectures. If I can find a way to manage that, I'm sure you can manage this. :)

konkzz

HSC
you should be scared. when you're late, they single you out, call you to the front of the class and the tute gets everyone to laugh at you.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
you should be scared. when you're late, they single you out, call you to the front of the class and the tute gets everyone to laugh at you.
I thought this BS ended with highschool obviously not, how annoying.

HSC
Uni Grad
rofl obviously they wouldnt, especially cos there would be people who have classes at like opposite ends of the uni right after each other and are bound to be late.

ddtng

HSC
So...how annoyed are lecturers generally at people turning up late (running from Merewether to Chemistry Lecture theatre)?
Merewether to Chemistry isn't that much of a hassle. As long as you're not doing Wallace to something in Engineering (or something of similar distance) then you shouldn't have problems.

HSC
Some of the accounting lectures have BIG issues about you walking out early, as in the stop the whole lecture, point out the person leaving and remark about how if you leave even 5min early you will surely fail the whole course:rolleyes:

Last edited:

luckylollies

HSC
How long would it take to travel from the Civil Engineering Building to the New Law School?
Would I make it in time with a fast walk?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
If you're coming from another class/lecture, you'll be fine. We sometimes have big groups of people arrive late to lectures because their silly tute teachers kept them overtime.

Just don't be late first thing in the morning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)