USU Board Elections 2011 (1 Viewer)

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
Just want to go to a uni without shitty political crap harassing passerby and in lecture.

izzy88

HSC
at least there's not an overload of t-shirts/paper/posters flying around. new election rules seem to be working so far at least. :)

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Holy crap, I just realised I went to primary school with the first girl Jacqui.

Such a small world.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I wonder why that video is still up. The Returning Officer has already stated that: "People other than USU members, university staff and Usyd-enrolled students may not campaign for and on behalf of candidates." (Source). :eek:

Unless Superwog has USU membership. :p

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I've no idea.

I guess not if that video is still up. But I'm surprised that no other candidates have complained to the RO about it.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Is it possible for someone such as Superwog to put up such a video in order to get Mina disqualified by refusing to remove it?

I don't go to Sydney so I don't really care but I've heard the USU elections are massively terrible but cannot confirm it

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
brigid dixon is smoking hot

still not gonna vote though

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Is it possible for someone such as Superwog to put up such a video in order to get Mina disqualified by refusing to remove it?
In theory, yeah. But if someone was stupid enough to do it, they'd realise that it's pretty much backfired upon them. I'm by no means an expert, but generally speaking, in a Sydney University election, you need to get name recognition outside of the establishment of people that are university politicians (or future university politicians), and from what I've seen, this Superwog video has done it for Mina. One of my friends who knows absolutely nothing about Australian politics generally, (or any sort of uni politics), came up to me the other day and said: "hey, have you seen that Superwog video for Mina?". So yeah, I guess the video gives Mina name recognition amongst a lot of people that wouldn't typically care about politics. It's quite easy for Mina to deny that he has any connection to whoever may have uploaded the video, so yeah.

Of course, there are other reasons to vote for people, based on how visually appealing they may look (in the case of Brigid). Noone really cares about policies.

I don't go to Sydney so I don't really care but I've heard the USU elections are massively terrible but cannot confirm it
I wouldn't say 'terrible', but there was a scandal last year involving candidates that eventually won, (allegedly) exceeding the spending cap.

Last edited:

Deathless

HSC
Just thought I'd kick this off - since today was the first day of USU Board Elections 2011 campaigning.

Should be an interesting campaign - here are the candidates in ballot order

Just a question. How did they get my number? Two of the candidates called me in person to help them in campaigning? wtf I'm first year... so just wondering did they do this to everybody or a lot of people at uni for help?

I reckon their all the same though. There's not going to be much changes at all.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just a question. How did they get my number? Two of the candidates called me in person to help them in campaigning? wtf I'm first year... so just wondering did they do this to everybody or a lot of people at uni for help?
Various reasons - if you could tell me which candidates called you, I could probably narrow down the reason the candidates called you.

I reckon their all the same though. There's not going to be much changes at all.
There never is. For me, it's just a novelty thing - elections are all just part of the Sydney University experience.

izzy88

HSC
I It's quite easy for Mina to deny that he has any connection to whoever may have uploaded the video, so yeah...
Mina has been showing the clips in lecture bashes before he talks. So it would be pretty difficult for him to deny any association with the video. On the other hand, I had absolutely no idea who superwog was and it meant nothing to me...I like mina but i thought the video just came across as silly and promoting ideas that he can't really do much about (ie. queueing for kebabs). Saying that, a lot of the policies promoted by candidates are about things the union can't really do much about...

Also, what's up with that $5 lunch voucher?
Union wants people to vote, so they are offering a limited number of lunch vouchers as an enticement. I think its the first 5,000 to vote, but it would really depend on what time of day, and which polling booth as to if you end up getting one....

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Saying that, a lot of the policies promoted by candidates are about things the union can't really do much about...
It's a lot better than last year when a particular candidate was campaigning of free [insert whatever - printing/transport/accommodation/food/whatever] for international students. :p

gobbledigook

HSC
N/A
i think the limitation placed on use of pamphlets for campaigning has been a great, environmentally friendly move. (and i don't feel pissed off seeing them in every single lecture theatre ever).

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Astha, Brigid, Jacqui, Mina, Rhys & Zac,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)