2 really easy easy first year science subjects (1 Viewer)

fatmastergoon

HSC
N/A
Hi. I need suggestions for 2 really easy first year science subjects next semester. I'm doing 6 subjects next semester; 4 of which will be adv. 3rd year maths. Therefore, I probably won't have much time or effort to spend on the 2 first year science subjects (program requirement). I welcome any suggestions.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
INFO1003
GEOS1002

After a short search I'd suggest either of these two units. They both appear fairly easy, and are only two lectures/week with small practical classes and no tutorials. You could also try BIOL1002, or a physics unit depending on your strengths and interests. (For the sake of your sanity/WAM I'd just join summer school, but I'm guessing you've already considered this.)

Also, seeing as you're doing a maths degree I thought I'd ask you a question about first year maths. I'm trying to decide between discrete maths and statistics. Statistics looks less fun, and considering I'm only doing these units out of necessity/interest, which one would be better from your perspective?

fatmastergoon

HSC
N/A
This is my first year at USyd so I'm unfamiliar with the first or second year subjects they teach here. But based on my experiences, maths subjects are far more interesting than stat subjects. In terms of which subjects you will score higher marks, that really depends on the individual and the markers.

I thought INFO subjects were under the Eng and IT faculty. Do they count as science subjects?

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
Actually yeah, it might be at that, sorry. I'm just going off the unit descriptions in the faculty of science handbook. I would have guessed that the subjects would all be science subjects.

Keep looking if you can, but I can't see many other pleasant options. Practically all of the second semester subjects are either fairly intense (3 lectures/week + tutorials and pracs) or continuations of first semester units.

If you did HSC biology I'd recommend BIOL1002. If it's anything similar to BIOL1*01 then you most likely will not have any problems with it. There are two lectures per week, in addition to a 2.5 hour practical. The only assessments during the semester are two quizzes and a home-based first hand investigation/report.

Edit: I'm not sure if engineering units can be counted as science units. I'd recommend double checking with someone else.

Last edited:

m.jakaran

HSC
Actually I would suggest PHYS1901/1902 or 1001/1002. Although it's not "easy" as much as it is "straightforward" in terms of the course content and pracs, it is definitely one of the easiest subjects if you're going for a merit grade. The semester assessment is quite easy to get 95-100% in and the exams are just past papers with question specifics changed around. All of this being said, there is a 3 hour prac and 1 hour tute nearly every week as well as 3 lectures.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
HPSC2xxx What is this thing called Science?

No exams, just three essays and tute participation. And you can even choose your own question for the essays. Does require some ready though (approx 20 pages/week)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually I would suggest PHYS1901/1902 or 1001/1002. Although it's not "easy" as much as it is "straightforward" in terms of the course content and pracs, it is definitely one of the easiest subjects if you're going for a merit grade. The semester assessment is quite easy to get 95-100% in and the exams are just past papers with question specifics changed around. All of this being said, there is a 3 hour prac and 1 hour tute nearly every week as well as 3 lectures.
But if you don't like physics don't do it.

I just passed that shit because I HATE physics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)