USYD Strike (1 Viewer)

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
The only thing I see a real problem is the academic freedom. And possibly the work hours, but abolishing that clause will enable them to claim more work on their timesheets than the 37.5 hours they claim. Some may have an issue with the parental leave scheme but eh. I also don't know why they're complaining about the reduction of sick days, it's more than twice the regular amount anyway. I don't know why they want to keep all 50.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
so will I bother traveling an hour down to USYD on Thursday in the hope my one lecture will be on? or will it be waste of time?

engineering

HSC
N/A
The only thing I see a real problem is the academic freedom. And possibly the work hours, but abolishing that clause will enable them to claim more work on their timesheets than the 37.5 hours they claim. Some may have an issue with the parental leave scheme but eh. I also don't know why they're complaining about the reduction of sick days, it's more than twice the regular amount anyway. I don't know why they want to keep all 50.
Message from the Vice-Chancellor: Intellectual Freedom

21 February 2013

I am writing to let you know that, as I shared with Academic Board this afternoon, I have decided to recommend to the Human Resources Committee of Senate that we amend the University's draft Enterprise Agreement in relation to the removal of the clause about intellectual freedom.

This change to the Agreement had only ever been proposed on the basis that the clause was redundant, the principle being thoroughly covered already by the Senate-endorsed Charter of Academic Freedom and relevant Board and University policies.

Nevertheless, I accept that its removal from the draft Agreement has caused unnecessary anxiety and suspicion among some staff and for that I apologise.

I am happy to agree that our next Enterprise Agreement will again contain a specific statement in support of intellectual freedom, a principle which, as a community, we must support at all costs.

Yours sincerely

Michael Spence

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Message from the Vice-Chancellor: Intellectual Freedom

21 February 2013

I am writing to let you know that, as I shared with Academic Board this afternoon, I have decided to recommend to the Human Resources Committee of Senate that we amend the University's draft Enterprise Agreement in relation to the removal of the clause about intellectual freedom.

This change to the Agreement had only ever been proposed on the basis that the clause was redundant, the principle being thoroughly covered already by the Senate-endorsed Charter of Academic Freedom and relevant Board and University policies.

Nevertheless, I accept that its removal from the draft Agreement has caused unnecessary anxiety and suspicion among some staff and for that I apologise.

I am happy to agree that our next Enterprise Agreement will again contain a specific statement in support of intellectual freedom, a principle which, as a community, we must support at all costs.

Yours sincerely

Michael Spence
There we go, so one less thing for them to complain about.

richh1833

HSC
N/A
Really up to you. My lecturer pretty much said fuck it lol.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Totally going to invoice my lecturer if the one lecture I have isn't on.

Ally7572

HSC
N/A
This is what one of my Commerce lecturers published on BlackBoard a few days ago:

WHY ARE WE STRIKING?
Staff unions have been trying to negotiate a new Enterprise Agreement since August 2012…

…but the management refuses to bargain in good faith

Now, the university management has announced plans to remove basic employment protections from the Enterprise Agreement…

These include:

• Remove ALL commitments to reducing casual employment

• Abolish ALL commitments to reduce discrimination practices

• Remove ALL staff-union rights from the enterprise agreement

WHAT STUDENTS CAN DO?

Come to the picket lines

However, Michael Spend just sent around an email saying that the strike is in regards to merely a 7% pay rise that the university cannot afford. Therefore there are two very different sides to the story so who knows what is going on!!

Lectures are cancelled for some subjects but not for others. Im assuming they will email you. There is also another strike in week 3 and this times its a 48 hr one most likely on the Wednesday and Thursday but it may change.

kingpharaoh

HSC
MATH2961 cancelled at the exact moment that I checked my email. :) That takes off one 8am lecture. Hoping for other lectures to be cancelled as well.

madharris

HSC
N/A
If it helps my lecturer said this today

"The tutor (not sure of her name) will not be striking so tutorials will be on, on thursdays despite the strike"

madharris

HSC
N/A
Got this email

"Dear students,

As you probably know, members of the NTEU and CPSU plan to take industrial action this Thursday, 7 March. Contrary to what you may have heard, though, most University staff are not members of these striking unions so University business will continue as usual and many classes will go ahead as scheduled.

The University has asked any staff who are intending to strike to let students know prior to the day if they will not be teaching on Thursday.

A further email will be sent to you tomorrow detailing practical arrangements for the day, but I thought it would be useful to give you some background regarding this action.

The NTEU has proposed the University should sign an agreement which, among other things, would provide a 7 percent per annum pay increase to staff. We believe that staff deserve a pay increase, but we simply can’t afford that much. Government funding of higher education is not going to increase, and so our only options would be to increase revenue by enrolling many more students, or to reduce costs radically. Both options would harm the quality of your education.

The NTEU also want us to fund the salary increase by stopping investment in buildings and technology infrastructure. This is only a short-term solution, and would in the long run be disastrous. Many of our buildings require major upgrading and repairs; staff and students are housed in facilities not fit for purpose; and, in some faculties, continuing external accreditation is conditional on improving our infrastructure. Without better facilities our reputation will be damaged and your degree would be devalued.

Conditions for staff at the University of Sydney are in fact very good. Few workers outside the university sector are entitled to 50 days’ sick leave each year, or receive 17 percent superannuation. And salary, leave and working conditions at this University are already equal to or better than those in the rest of the Group of Eight universities.

I hope that you bring the same rigour to thinking about these issues as you do to your academic work.

Yours sincerely,

Michael Spence"

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
This is what one of my Commerce lecturers published on BlackBoard a few days ago:

WHY ARE WE STRIKING?
Staff unions have been trying to negotiate a new Enterprise Agreement since August 2012…

…but the management refuses to bargain in good faith

Now, the university management has announced plans to remove basic employment protections from the Enterprise Agreement…

These include:

• Remove ALL commitments to reducing casual employment

• Abolish ALL commitments to reduce discrimination practices

• Remove ALL staff-union rights from the enterprise agreement

WHAT STUDENTS CAN DO?

Come to the picket lines

However, Michael Spend just sent around an email saying that the strike is in regards to merely a 7% pay rise that the university cannot afford. Therefore there are two very different sides to the story so who knows what is going on!!

Lectures are cancelled for some subjects but not for others. Im assuming they will email you. There is also another strike in week 3 and this times its a 48 hr one most likely on the Wednesday and Thursday but it may change.
I would believe anyone except Michael Spence. He's a dick.

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
ok so all my lectures on Thursday are cancelled except MATH2962...:/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)