Semester 2 USYD Chatter Thread 2013 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Well it looks like we'll all be back to the daily grind soon, so what better than to open our Chatter Thread for the upcoming semester. Welcome back to our current students and those who will be commencing their studies at USYD for the first time.

Important Dates

July
29 - Lectures begin (Semester 2)

August
9 - Last day to add/enrol for a unit of study (Semester 2)
31 - HECS census date (Semester 2)
31 - Open Day

September
13 - Last day to Discontinue Not Fail (Semester 2)
27 - Applications close for most University of Sydney scholarships
27 - UAC close of on-time applications
30 - Universities Australia common vacation week starts

October
4 - Universities Australia common vacation week ends
7 - Labour Day

November
1 - Last day of lectures (Semester 2)
1 - Last day to Discontinue Fail (Semester 2)
4-8 - Study vacation (Semester 2)
11-23 - Examination period (Semester 2)
23 - Semester 2 ends

Just a word of warning:

This thread serves as a general discussion thread for USYD students. Please keep all the miscellaneous and off-topic conversation here as well as comments/queries/observations that don't warrant a new thread. While posts that would generally be considered spam elsewhere are tolerated in this thread, please note that this is not a substitute for Non-School.

Best wishes from,

OzKo & Blue Suede

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Oops, ended up turning up to uni when there was no class.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I've had two lectures, one of which I have to regularly podcast because I have work. But on the pluside I'm being given one of my textbooks so I only need to buy one this semester so yay.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Don't tell me you bought from Co-op?
Yep, Co-op.

Have you tried looking for international editions? They're essentially the same book printed on cheaper materials so that students in poorer countries can afford them:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/International-Edition-Textbook/10000000009058832/g.html

I bought most of my ~$150 dollar textbooks from abebooks for $5 - 30 each (I bought ten books for both classes and interest which came to around $200 + $150 for shipping).
Hmm OK, I'll look into that next time. Cheers :).

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Have you tried looking for international editions? They're essentially the same book printed on cheaper materials so that students in poorer countries can afford them
I've even got a hard cover international edition before, ended up being exactly the same as the one sold in the co op but for half the price. That was probably a special case as the US had their own version with imperial measurement examples and there was no international edition per se, just a "metric edition" or something.

I actually made a little bit of profit selling it at the start of this year lol, the place i'd bought it from jacked up their price since so the guy got a good deal anyway.

Last edited:

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Actually I just noticed that two of the main textbooks I bought are both marked as "International Editions". Both still cost around $150 though.

Yeah I may avoid Co-op from now on.......

HSC
The only time I bought from coop was a USYD custom edition. Bought for $111 and recently re-sold it for $90. Winning.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I bought from Zookal last semester, probably going to go with them again as they're cheaper than the only other places that Booko can find for the one textbook I need to get.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I am full of shiny new semester pep and new semester resolve(barely had many classes this week though haha). It's practically an ocean.

Will turn to trickle Wk 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)