Echo360 Method To Download Streamed Lecture Videos - HELP! (1 Viewer)

Montana8998

HSC
N/A
Is there some tech genius out there who can help with this?

Recently, some of my more irritating lecturers have made their lecture videos unavailable for download (seriously guys - no one is trying to steal your shitty powerpoint presentations. We just want to be able to study).

The internet is unreliable where I am, and I really need to be able to download the lectures to have any chance of watching them all the way through without interruption. Trying to stream them, they almost always freeze at some point. Plus, for some reason, the ability to watch them at higher speeds is also disabled.

I've tried so many firefox and chrome extensions but most of them only capture the audio, even though they're meant to capture video as well. I thought I'd had a breakthrough when I found this: http://98percentidle.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/firefox-and-chrome-extensions-for.html but I can't get it to work for USyd.

Anyone found a way to do this?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Do notify your lecturers of your situation. I know that most good lecturers would be willing to help fix the problem by making downloadable versions available, or giving you access to previous versions which are downloadable (for example some of my courses have youtube videos which you can download and watch at any time).

I don't go to USyd, but I do know that with UNSW echo 360 we can download any of them any time. If you can download other stuff off echo 360 at USyd, then maybe the lecturers have put a constraint on their lectures? In this case definitely ask them if you can have access to downloading them. Really then depends how strict they want to get with their lectures then...

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC
speak to UNSW IT in the library, they fixed it for me.

EDIT: didn't realised this was USYD; just saw AD comment and assumed it was UNSW

Last edited:

Montana8998

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately the lecturer in question is... not stellar. To put it diplomatically.

Average response time for emails from this person is about 3 months (not even kidding) and they discourage face to face contact.

I've sought help from IT and been told that it's at the lecturer's discretion to allow/disallow downloads, so no help there.

Hence why I'm desperately seeking some sort of alternative. It wouldn't be an issue, but this is a huge unit of study and being able to revise the lectures in my own time is a huge help.

Last edited:

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC
then forget lecture recording and use books, internet etc etc

if the lecturer doesn't want people to download it then it is his final say because It is his intellectual property. If you don't want to miss the lectures then physically go to them

Montana8998

HSC
N/A
First of all - her intellectual property. The lecturer in question is a woman.

Second of all - these are lectures which I have attended. But there's a lot I miss the first time around which I need to go over in my own time to really get my head around.

Third of all - there are practical medical procedures which are demonstrated in these videos which we are expected to revise in our own time. The recordings aren't just for lazy people who can't be bothered to drag themselves to uni, they are a compulsory part of the unit. Books/internet are not suitable substitutes; we are expected to precisely follow what we see on the videos or we fail. And thanks to a combination of bad on-campus internet and laziness/out-of-touchedness on the part of my lecturer, watching them is proving nigh-on impossible for me.

I'm sure there is a technological workaround to this problem and I'm keen to find it if anyone can help.

You may not be able to/want to provide this assistance, and that is fine with me - but kindly don't imply that I'm just unwilling to physically attend the lectures. In my degree, you don't turn up to class, you fail.

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC
First of all - her intellectual property. The lecturer in question is a woman.
how am I supposed to know that?

Second of all - these are lectures which I have attended. But there's a lot I miss the first time around which I need to go over in my own time to really get my head around.
maybe you need to go over you method of study. for example I go over my notes and what not before the lecture so I understand it when the explain it in the lecture

Third of all - there are practical medical procedures which are demonstrated in these videos which we are expected to revise in our own time. The recordings aren't just for lazy people who can't be bothered to drag themselves to uni, they are a compulsory part of the unit. Books/internet are not suitable substitutes; we are expected to precisely follow what we see on the videos or we fail. And thanks to a combination of bad on-campus internet and laziness/out-of-touchedness on the part of my lecturer, watching them is proving nigh-on impossible for me.
everyone else in your classes would probably be in the same boat; right?

I'm sure there is a technological workaround to this problem and I'm keen to find it if anyone can help.

You may not be able to/want to provide this assistance, and that is fine with me - but kindly don't imply that I'm just unwilling to physically attend the lectures. In my degree, you don't turn up to class, you fail.
well if the lecturer is not letting you download HER videos, then consider looking at a "hack" in the system to download said videos but be wary of the consequences.

Montana8998

HSC
N/A
how am I supposed to know that?
Yeah... that was pretty much my point.

That aside - look. You seem to enjoy squabbling with strangers on the internet and that's cool - we all have our thing.

But I am genuinely only interested in speaking to someone who's had the same issue and figured out a workaround, so unless you're that person, I strongly urge you to go find satisfaction elsewhere.

SquareHeartsAdrita

cya later alligator
HSC
Yeah... that was pretty much my point.

That aside - look. You seem to enjoy squabbling with strangers on the internet and that's cool - we all have our thing.

But I am genuinely only interested in speaking to someone who's had the same issue and figured out a workaround, so unless you're that person, I strongly urge you to go find satisfaction elsewhere.
my other points stand.

but other than that; you said that they don't encourage f2f contact? but fak them just go to the IT office and be like "yo can anyone up in this bitch help me" and I am sure someone will come rushing to your assistance

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Thinking outside the box... Find another source of free wi-fi such as maccas or something (even UNSW if you had to).

Other than that sorry I have no idea.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm pretty sure Echo360 has been setup to avoid workarounds, especially considering a lecturer can disable the download option.

I figure that any workarounds would have been picked up by QA on Echo360's end.

I googled around and found some options which look possible but they seem to be a couple of years old. The loopholes may have been patched since.

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure Echo360 has been setup to avoid workarounds, especially considering a lecturer can disable the download option.
Word. They're made so they you can't circumvent copyright measures.

Like you said, its their intellectual property. You can't do much if they don't allow students to download it. Do you have anywhere to be early hours in the morning or late hours after uni? If not stay at uni and watch the lectures again. Furthermore, if you don't work on the weekends then maybe you can go to the library during after hours as there is a 24/7 section which has lots of computers that you can use.

anon000

HSC
N/A

See this doc online It worked foe me.

http://isolatednation.com/opinionnation/2013/3/6/uni-hack-downloading-undownloadable-lectures

So, if your lecturer has chosen to not allow you to download the lectures, there is a simple hack. Click on 'Play' and then a new URL will open in the address bar. Then simply add this /media.m4v?downloadOnly=true to the end of the new URL.

DOWNLOADED, or so it would have, last semester.

It appears now the magicians in the capture system have attempted to do something, now you must delete the ?ec=true bit from the end, and then copy /media.m4v?downloadOnly=true to the end.

pHyRe

HSC
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately the lecturer in question is... not stellar. To put it diplomatically.

Average response time for emails from this person is about 3 months (not even kidding) and they discourage face to face contact.

I've sought help from IT and been told that it's at the lecturer's discretion to allow/disallow downloads, so no help there.

Hence why I'm desperately seeking some sort of alternative. It wouldn't be an issue, but this is a huge unit of study and being able to revise the lectures in my own time is a huge help.

hahah wtf?

what subject/lecturer is this

talk to them face to face or drop the subject haah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)