What is the combined bachelor of commerce/ arts degree like? Please help :) (1 Viewer)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
Hi,
I am in year 12 atm and recently went to the sydney uni info day.
I have a passion for humanities such as history, languages, cultures and creative writing (i love writing!) etc. and would like to do some sort of arts degree however I feel that a bachelor of arts or international studies degree alone may offer some limitations in employment or there may be difficulty finding a job. I was thinking of doing the combine degree called bachelor of commerce/ arts.
What is it like?
What kinds of jobs and work experience can you do if you combine these two areas of study?
Will doing a bachelor of commerce improve job prospects rather than doing a bachelor of arts alone. I dodn't want something too businessy. I was thinking of a job in international relations, marketing, working in something like media, communications such as writing,

I don't do any social sciences like business, legal or economics because at the time history and cultures appealed to me more, I had interests in legal studies though (I have interests in legal studies), I did commerce in year 9 and 10, though I'm guessing it would be quite different in uni obviously.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
If your only motivation for doing Commerce is to get a job, you shouldn't do it. University is about studying what you enjoy. If you force yourself to do a Commerce degree when you don't like things that are "businessy", then you are just going to make things hard for yourself.

It's far too early to think about job prospects anyway. Just do an Arts degree, major in those humanities subjects you like, and if you are good at what you do job opportunities will present themselves in the future.

RishBonjour

HSC
If your only motivation for doing Commerce is to get a job, you shouldn't do it. University is about studying what you enjoy. If you force yourself to do a Commerce degree when you don't like things that are "businessy", then you are just going to make things hard for yourself.

It's far too early to think about job prospects anyway. Just do an Arts degree, major in those humanities subjects you like, and if you are good at what you do job opportunities will present themselves in the future.
Yep. There are opportunities in everyfield with some being more scarce than others. You just have to be good enough to get them.

Having said that, i don't think its a bad idea to do arts/comm. It is a common combination and you can drop either anytime with negligible impact on your degree progression. It will not necessarily improve your job prospects for the fields you're after but it will definitely open new doors. I think that's very important at such an early stage where we shouldn't limit ourselves to whatever we enjoyed in high school or think we are interested in.

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
what kinds of jobs are you thinking of doing with advanced science

HSC
Commerce, Arts, Science are all really really really broad degrees. You might surprise yourself though. I did all sciences and no humanities or social sciences in the HSC and I'm studying Commerce/ Science now. I did Commerce because it's a subject area that would be useful no matter what sort of career path I take, but I found that I enjoyed Accounting and Economics a fair bit. Just take whatever floats your boat and if you find you don't like it, drop it and never do it again. :p

Job prospects really depend on what sort of majors you want to take. For Science, the most general job prospects would be becoming a researcher or academic. Something like Physics under Science can lead you to researching with mining companies. Manufacturing companies (e.g. involving superconductors) will also take you in. Since there's so much maths involved in physics though, finance companies are also an option. It's really quite open.

Obvious Commerce career pathways are working in the business services industry and I'm not too clear with an Arts degree, because I'd say the job prospects for a major in media & communications and archaeology are quite different.

I agree with Amleops though, take what you like and see where it'll take you. I personally like having a set plan, but I can tell you my majors have changed 2394234 times in the past year, and now I'm just doing what sounds good and hoping I'll like it and take me places.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
what kinds of jobs are you thinking of doing with advanced science
Probably research. But I haven't given it much thought yet, it's still a long way off. I'm enjoying uni at the moment and intend to stay there for the foreseeable future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)