USYD: Scaling of First Year Maths Units (1 Viewer)

nimble

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I'm choosing first year maths units at USYD this year and am wondering about the marks for fundamental, normal and advanced maths (MATH1011 vs MATH1001 vs MATH1901).

Given that fundamental maths units are easier than normal units, would it mean that your marks are scaled down or decreased to align with the other maths students in the cohort?

Or is it that raw marks just stand as they are?

If I am trying to maximize my GPA for transfers and I don't have any interest in maths after this year, would it be advisable for me to do normal maths (I did 3U maths in high school and got E4) or do fundamental?

Thanks so much for your input.

Silly Sausage

HSC
It means that more people are allocated HDs and Ds doing advanced units then fundamentals.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you have the choice, do the highest level you can, regardless of scaling. First year doesn't count to SCIWAM. Really, only consider a lower unit if you are trying to transfer somewhere.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
If you have the choice, do the highest level you can, regardless of scaling. First year doesn't count to SCIWAM. Really, only consider a lower unit if you are trying to transfer somewhere.
Ah what really? Thought you got dropped to normal science if you don't maintain WAM 65 in all years.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Taken from here: http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/science/coursework/b_science/b_science.shtml

Candidates enrolled in the Bachelor of Science (Advanced) or Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) are required to maintain a minimum average mark of 65 in all intermediate and senior units of study in Science subject areas in each year of enrolment. Failure to maintain the required average will result in candidates being transferred to the Bachelor of Science in their next year of enrolment with full credit for the units of study completed.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
someth1ng was referring to SCIWAM, which is basically the WAM that the Science faculty takes into account when you ask to do honours and they want to see how good you are (2xxx and 3xxx level units I believe are taken into account only). What you are talking about is the Adv Sci degrees, which require students to maintain 65+ average because it's an advanced stream.

engineering

HSC
N/A
someth1ng was referring to SCIWAM, which is basically the WAM that the Science faculty takes into account when you ask to do honours and they want to see how good you are (2xxx and 3xxx level units I believe are taken into account only). What you are talking about is the Adv Sci degrees, which require students to maintain 65+ average because it's an advanced stream.
The OP referred to
If I am trying to maximize my GPA for transfers
If you are transferring to another degree by applying to UAC they look at your entire GPA. This is a UAC process - not usyd sciwam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)