Carnegie Mellon Adelaide vs University of Sydney (1 Viewer)

poornapt

HSC
Dear seniors,

I am really confused!!!

I am considering Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) for the masters in IT (ITM) and also University of Sydney (USy) for MIT + MITM (2 year course). I want to work as a manager in a technology company (Oracle, Google, Microsoft etc) of In consultancy firms (PwC, E&Y etc) after completing the course.

I am really confused about these 2 colleges.

USy because the course is too expensive but the university is highly reputed in Aus. I will have to do a part time job to make ends meet which will reduce the time I can invest towards studies. I also understand that USy offers a wide range of electives to choose from. I can build my profile in a balanced way such that I will be able to apply for technical jobs if I don't get any managerial jobs. ( I only have 5 years of experience in IT and only 2 years in lead position. I feel this may be on the lesser side for becoming product managers in these companies)

CMU on the other hand is a global brand which is regarded very highly in US. Some consider this as No.1 university for Comp Science related study in the world. It is relatively new in Aus and hence probably does not have the same reputation in the Australian job market (This is just my guess).
I am not able to find much data on LinkedIn or other forums about where the alumni of CMU Adelaide are currently working. The CMU campus in Adelaide is not as well equipped as the Pittsburgh campus. This will reduce the student learning experience. The electives offered are also less in number and inclining more towards the management side. I feel this will not allow me to build a balanced profile.
On the plus side for CMU, CMU allows me to take extra courses each sem over the regular workload for no extra cost. Also the fees comes out a lot less considering that they are willing to give me a 40% scholarship. I may not have to work a lot to meet the living expenses.

Weighing all these plus and minus, could anyone guide me in selecting the right school?

I need to understand which course of the 2 has better chance of getting me a managerial job in a top technology company in Australia?

I know I have provided too little info about my profile for anyone to evaluate my chances of getting a job in a tech company. Please weigh the two courses against each other and let me know your valuable opinion about the pros and cons so that I can make a better informed decision.

poornapt

HSC
Go for what's cheaper as long as it offers what you are looking for.
Thank you for your response.

Could you tell me how reputed the MIT (ITM) course offered at CMU is in Australia? Is it as good as the MIT + MITM course offered at USyd?

Does future job prospect have to do anything with the reputation of the college I graduate from or the reputation of the course I enroll in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)