Is commerce at USYD or law at Macquarie more likely to lead to success? (1 Viewer)

gizdonk2

HSC
I have the option of doing just commerce at Sydney Uni or doing law/commerce at Macquarie. Whilst I somewhat prefer the content of a law course due to its more interesting nature, am I better off just doing commerce and benefiting from the high prestige of Sydney Uni? Due to the highly saturated nature of both degrees, I am extremely worried about finding employment and believe that going to Macquarie may start off my career disadvantaged, compared to being advantaged going to Sydney.

I will probably get marks in the middle of the Macquarie cohort, so transferring won't really be possible, and I doubt employers would be dazzled by those marks. Am I better off taking the safe and advantaged route of Sydney commerce, or sticking with the somewhat more engaging Macquarie law?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
If you are more interested in law, do law at whatever uni you can get in to.

The last thing you should be worrying about at this stage is job prospects.

Last edited:

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Well accounting/finance in commerce and more corporate/business law
Think if you really want to do law - and more where you want to end up, both degrees will get you somewhere , comm/law is actually the more safer choice cause you get to look at both sides to decide whether either is for you, and you got a few years for transfer as well, compared to bcomm - which is a good option if your sure you just want to end up in acct (maybe not finance depending how your marks/ecs are)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Elixir

HSC
If you are more interested in law, do law at whatever uni you can get in to.

The last thing you should be worrying about at this stage is job prospects.
Umm, I feel like the only thing you should be worrying about is job prospects, especially for law.

Do whatever you have a passion for and work hard so that you succeed.

gizdonk2

HSC
Umm, I feel like the only thing you should be worrying about is job prospects, especially for law.

Do whatever you have a passion for and work hard so that you succeed.
I'm passionate about the safest way to get employment and a good job

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
And it's these sort of attitudes that end up being very counterproductive for you in the long run.

You are in university to learn, not to get a job. If you are good enough at what you do employment options will present themselves when the time comes; but that is a long way off, and at this stage it should be the last thing on your mind. What matters most now is picking an area of study that you enjoy.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Succeed in what?
What areas of commerce/law interests you?
This is really the golden question in my view. The degree you chose ultimately has to align with what you want to do. In terms of employment prospects, this is the fit era not the merit era. Decades ago, businesses selected candidates based on who had the best CV - now they look for best fit. In other words, if you want to do accounting, having a law degree wont help you one bit in terms of employment in this day and age.

pHyRe

HSC
you could look at transferring to usyd law

youd need about 75+ to be competitive after 1st year. pretty doable if you pick your subjects right and work hard

but your marks will seriously suffer in law. extremely competitive, hard and only a certain % get HDs, Ds etc.

milkytea99

HSC
If you want to work in Australia, then whatever uni you go to doesn't matter, although I do admit that some of the networking events in Commerce only invite USYD and UNSW students to attend such as this one: http://fmaa.com.au/event/2016-fmaa-nsw-corporate-cocktails
If you want to work overseas, then going to USYD or UNSW will be better than Macquarie. As a lot of overseas companies do value prestige. I have a friend who goes to Macquarie and no one from her family in China knows about Macquarie Uni, and they even bluntly told her that they've only heard about USYD. So yeah, OP, it depends on what you want and where you want to go in the future.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
It's important to remember that securing a good job (I'm assuming 'good' here means financially secure) is more than just marks. A huge number of graduates get solid marks, so one of the best ways to distinguish yourself from other graduates is your extra curriculars. Perhaps if you're interested in going into finance or accounting, being the treasurer for a university club/society would be of benefit.

USyd also has a whole lot of clubs and societies that relate to various faculties/degrees and offer networking opportunities. Eg Finsoc (finance society) does a whole bunch of networking opportunities for their members.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)