Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Usyd dux/future leaders scheme

Cadet
    HSC

Usyd dux/future leaders scheme

Hey,
    Does anyone know what the 'lowered cutoff' for law under the Dux/future leaders scheme is; based on either personal experience, fact or rumour?

On the site it just says:
    " Once the HSC/IB results are released, we'll send you confirmation about which courses you're eligible for. This list of courses will offer more opportunities than you would have had based on your ATAR alone."

Thanks

HSC
    N/A

Re: Usyd dux/future leaders scheme

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by candyman View Post
    95! Wow that seems too good to be true ahha. Can I ask what your sources are? Thanks

HSC

Also, 'future leaders scheme' - does that mean that I, being the Vice Captain at my school, could utilise this scheme?
    HSC 2017: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Economics, Legal Studies, Business Studies, SOR 1

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Orwell View Post
    Also, 'future leaders scheme' - does that mean that I, being the Vice Captain at my school, could utilise this scheme?
    I'm fairly sure it is school captain/senior prefect only.

HSC

From memory it is open either to one of the School Captain's or the DUX of the school.
    HSC 2016

English Advanced: 89 English Extension: 44 Ancient History: 91 Biology: 89 Food Technology: 90 Legal Studies: 91

2016 ATAR: 94.45 LAT: 97th percentile

2017+:
    Bachelor of Combined Law at UNSW

HSC

You also need to have been nominated by your school principal before 30 September (of this year)- seems pretty stingy.

HSC

Hello :-)

I'm a student ambassador for the University of Sydney, and I have quite a bit of experience working with alternate pathways.

There's no certain ATAR concession for any particular degree available for these entry schemes-- but rather the University just fills-in the set amount of places for each degree for each scheme. With law specifically, I believe that an ATAR in the high 98s to low 99s makes you competitive for the degree. However, ATAR-cut offs are decided by demand so nothing is set in stone

The scheme works well if you have a higher ATAR, because that means that there is a higher range of choices. Hope this helps.
    sss77s likes this.
    Survivor of HSC 2015
    University of Sydney 2016-2019

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by EarthSci34 View Post

I'm a student ambassador for the University of Sydney, and I have quite a bit of experience working with alternate pathways.

There's no certain ATAR concession for any particular degree available for these entry schemes-- but rather the University just fills-in the set amount of places for each degree for each scheme. With law specifically, I believe that an ATAR in the high 98s to low 99s makes you competitive for the degree. However, ATAR-cut offs are decided by demand so nothing is set in stone

The scheme works well if you have a higher ATAR, because that means that there is a higher range of choices. Hope this helps.
    Ohhh, so I guess it varies year by year depending on the quality of applicants I guess. Although I do think its somewhat unfair that the principal has to make the nomination by the end of September... wouldn't there be the possibility that the dux is not person with the actual highest atar, but the highest predicted atar-based on trial results?
    Thankss

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by sss77s View Post
    Ohhh, so I guess it varies year by year depending on the quality of applicants I guess. Although I do think its somewhat unfair that the principal has to make the nomination by the end of September... wouldn't there be the possibility that the dux is not person with the actual highest atar, but the highest predicted atar-based on trial results?
    Thankss
    Hello

Unfortunately that's how this entry scheme works; I'm very sorry but there's not much I can do in that department. ^___^ There's been cases like that, but usually internal marks give a good indication of who will perform well in the external exam (not always, but it is a strong pattern).
    Good luck with your endeavours and don't forget to visit USYD next year for Open Day!
    Survivor of HSC 2015
    University of Sydney 2016-2019

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by sss77s View Post
    Thankss
    That's why my school gives it to one of the Captains.
    HSC 2016

English Advanced: 89 English Extension: 44 Ancient History: 91 Biology: 89 Food Technology: 90 Legal Studies: 91

2016 ATAR: 94.45 LAT: 97th percentile

2017+:
    Bachelor of Combined Law at UNSW

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Jakulore View Post
    From memory it is open either to one of the School Captain's or the DUX of the school.
    And what if the captain doesn't utilise the scheme?
    HSC 2017: English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Economics, Legal Studies, Business Studies, SOR 1

HSC
    N/A

And what if the captain doesn't utilise the scheme?
    It has to be nominated by the school so ask if they're willing to nominate you as school captain...lol. The scheme is for Duxes and school captains only.

BTW has anyone gotten the email or whatever where they notify you what courses you're eligible for under the scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by HoldingOn View Post
    You also need to have been nominated by your school principal before 30 September (of this year)- seems pretty stingy.
    No, you don't. It can either be based on trial results (30 September) or actual results (after 30 Sept) depending on how your school picks dux. The closing date is somewhere in early January for nominations.
    Last edited by Pershern; 22 Dec 2016 at 5:25 AM. Reason: Added stuff

HSC

Principals don't have to nominate before September 30th, that is optional. My principal nominated last week as we waited for ATARs to see who was dux, and a got the email from usyd at the end of last week. They sent me a list of the courses I was able to join. It said as well that there are a few courses, such as law, which was a specific number of positions set aside for "future leaders scheme" students, this includes law. I think this means that when more students from the "future leaders scheme" choose the course then there are positions, then the ones with the higher atars will be picked, I might be wrong in this though.
    MX2 - ADV - BUS - ECO - SOR1

HSC

Does the dux scheme work guarantee you an entry in physio?
    2016 Preliminary

Maths Extension • English Advanced • Biology • Legal Studies • Physics • PDHPE

2017 HSC

Maths Extension 2 • English Advanced • Biology • Physics • PDHPE

Atar aim: 97
    Desired Course: Physiotherapy

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Rathin View Post
    Does the dux scheme work guarantee you an entry in physio?
    same with law I think, it can but I think there are a limited number of positions available for dux scheme students. here is what it says. "These courses have places set aside for Future Leaders below the normal cut-off. If you choose one or more of these “quota” courses, you will also need to select a back-up option that is not a quota course in order to be guaranteed a place at the University of Sydney."

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by qwert73 View Post
    same with law I think, it can but I think there are a limited number of positions available for dux scheme students. here is what it says. "These courses have places set aside for Future Leaders below the normal cut-off. If you choose one or more of these “quota” courses, you will also need to select a back-up option that is not a quota course in order to be guaranteed a place at the University of Sydney."
    Is there extra info for physio or does anyone know anything about physio..like how many from dux scheme they take and around what atar? Would a atar of 95-96 with dux give me a good chance?
    2016 Preliminary

Maths Extension • English Advanced • Biology • Legal Studies • Physics • PDHPE

2017 HSC

Maths Extension 2 • English Advanced • Biology • Physics • PDHPE

Atar aim: 97
    Desired Course: Physiotherapy

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by qwert73 View Post
    Principals don't have to nominate before September 30th, that is optional. My principal nominated last week as we waited for ATARs to see who was dux, and a got the email from usyd at the end of last week. They sent me a list of the courses I was able to join. It said as well that there are a few courses, such as law, which was a specific number of positions set aside for "future leaders scheme" students, this includes law. I think this means that when more students from the "future leaders scheme" choose the course then there are positions, then the ones with the higher atars will be picked, I might be wrong in this though.
    Hey I was just wondering what courses were available to you? I was nominated by my Principal last week - he received the confirmation letter and forwarded it to me - but they haven't sent me any sort of notification email yet. Would the courses you're eligible for change depending on your atar or do you think it's the same list for all nominees?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by ChamBam View Post
    Hey I was just wondering what courses were available to you? I was nominated by my Principal last week - he received the confirmation letter and forwarded it to me - but they haven't sent me any sort of notification email yet. Would the courses you're eligible for change depending on your atar or do you think it's the same list for all nominees?
    I had a low 99s atar. I had what seemed like close to all ATAR courses available as it had combined law there. I have no idea what they offer based on ATAR, but here is what ti says at the start of the email. "Your ATAR of ____ guarantees you entry to your choice of any of the non-quota courses listed below as long as one of these courses is your highest eligible preference through UAC by 1 January 2017 and you meet any other listed requirements."

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by ChamBam View Post
    Ring them up because the emails were sent out a while ago. When you were nominated you should have also received a separate email, not just one forwarded by the principal, so check to see whether the email that's been provided is correct.

And yes, the courses would change depending on ATAR. For guaranteed entry via the scheme, you would need to have met the cutoff; some courses have limited spots for Future Leaders scheme entrants with minor ATAR concessions.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by EarthSci34 View Post

What about for Commerce?

HSC

And in addition to your principal nominating you, do you have to place Usyd first for UAC preferences? Thanks!

HSC

HSC

Does anyone know if they reserve spots for the double degree Vet Science course?
    Also, in general, how far will their concession points stretch? If I get 96 and the required is 97.5, will that cut it?

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Mackenziea2017 View Post
    Does anyone know if they reserve spots for the double degree Vet Science course?
    Also, in general, how far will their concession points stretch? If I get 96 and the required is 97.5, will that cut it?
    No. If the required is 97.5, 96 does not meet the requirement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information