TSP and SSP entry requirements (1 Viewer)

qwert73

HSC
I'm thinking of doing advanced math at usyd next year and I've heard about the Talented Students Program which they have. I looked at the website to see what the entry requirements were but I'm still not sure, is it based on ATAR or the marks you got in HSC for specific courses?

Also how do you apply for the SSP? the website says your sent an invitation during O-week, so do you have to wait until then and then pick the electives?

sida1049

HSC
I'm thinking of doing advanced math at usyd next year and I've heard about the Talented Students Program which they have. I looked at the website to see what the entry requirements were but I'm still not sure, is it based on ATAR or the marks you got in HSC for specific courses?

Also how do you apply for the SSP? the website says your sent an invitation during O-week, so do you have to wait until then and then pick the electives?
The requirement for TSP is at least 99 ATAR. I received an invitation into TSP based on my ATAR only, so I don't believe your HSC marks will come into this.

There is no strict requirement for SSP for maths, as it depends on quota (they generally aim to establish a SSP class of 30 students). The general guideline is at least 98.5 ATAR and 95 in Mathematics Extension 2. (I got away with 93 in MX2, and a friend of mine got away with 98.1 ATAR. I'm fairly sure there was someone in the class with 95 ATAR, and another with lower MX2 marks.) SSP for semester 2 typically sends out invitations to students with 75+ in MATH1906 (SSP semester 1).

In order to apply for SSP semester 1, you have to wait until you've enrolled into your degree and at least your semester 1 units of study (you must enrol into MATH1901). This process can be completed sometime between mid to late January (though you have plenty of time between then and the start of semester). Once you've done that visit the MATH1906 website and click on the Online Application Form link. You'll need to download this form, fill it out, then hand it to the mathematics/statistics faculty office (in Carslaw building) sometime between the start of Orientation Week to Thursday 9th of March (week 1), where you have an information meeting with Dr. Daners in which you can hand in the form if you have not already. (So in regards to your question, you pick your electives first, including MATH1901, hand in the form, then eventually you'll receive a personal email informing you of further instructions if you made it in.) (Just to further clarify, it is perfectly possible to enter SSP for semester 2 without being enrolled into it for semester 1; they'll look at your performance in semester 1 maths units, in addition to your ATAR and HSC marks.)

Dr. Daners is a great guy, so if you have any problems you can directly email him (or if you want to clarify anything).

Good luck! SSP is very interesting, and a lot of fun!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)