B. Psychology (1 Viewer)

chickencoop

HSC
So yesterday i attended the info day at USYD.

Prior to attending, i had set my mind on doing the B. of Psychology (with 4th year honours) knowing full well that if i dont perform to at least a distinction average in the 3rd year, i will be kicked from the degree and sent to B. of Science.

However, what i did not know was that its not just the 3rd year that is crucial in determining your progression onto Honours. The person who was answering the Q&A's at USYD informed me that you would need to avg a distinction+ yearly in order to guarantee your position in the next year: reason being that an undergrad B. of Psych has almost 2000 students in the first year, progressively dropping until around only 100 in the final honours year.

I guess what im really asking is: Is it a good idea or is it too risky to select Psychology if you have no intentions of dropping out voluntarily and with the ultimate goal of completing the entire 4 years without getting booted?

I am by no means a workaholic but from 2000 students to 100 by the final year is a massive cut, and since the degree itself is already pretty hard to get into in the first place (96 ATAR) , i can only assume my classmates will be just as good as i am, if not better.

Any advice?

si2136

HSC
N/A
If you're passionate and dedicated about it, just aim for the highest, and do Psychology. What is your 2nd preference?

chickencoop

HSC
If you're passionate and dedicated about it, just aim for the highest, and do Psychology. What is your 2nd preference?
Tbh, i dont really have a preferred second preference. But for the UAC selections, i have a engineering + commerce double :/

sida1049

HSC
Since you're interested in psychology and have the sufficient ATAR, I can't see you losing out on anything by enrolling into B. Psychology.

If you do end up dropping down to B. Science, that doesn't change very much; you can still major in psychology under B. Science, and apply for 4th year honours (given that your marks are sufficient), and graduate like any other psychology student.

The specific B. Psychology requirements can be found here. According to the website, it says that for first year, you only need credit average (65+) in junior psychology units to remain in the degree. It's only during second and third year that you need distinction (75+) average in your psychology units.

You should totally do B. Psychology (and it's natural for you complete the degree through the science stream, given your HSC subjects).

Good luck!

Reactions: D94

chickencoop

HSC
Since you're interested in psychology and have the sufficient ATAR, I can't see you losing out on anything by enrolling into B. Psychology.

If you do end up dropping down to B. Science, that doesn't change very much; you can still major in psychology under B. Science, and apply for 4th year honours (given that your marks are sufficient), and graduate like any other psychology student.

The specific B. Psychology requirements can be found here. According to the website, it says that for first year, you only need credit average (65+) in junior psychology units to remain in the degree. It's only during second and third year that you need distinction (75+) average in your psychology units.

You should totally do B. Psychology (and it's natural for you complete the degree through the science stream, given your HSC subjects).

Good luck!
only problem with dropping down to B. Science if i dont manage to stay in B. Psychology is that it makes my desired career path very difficult to almost impossible ( want to pursue clinical psychologist which is 4 years of psych+honours and then another 2 years of masters). However thank you for the requirement link, i didnt see it before!

sida1049

HSC
only problem with dropping down to B. Science if i dont manage to stay in B. Psychology is that it makes my desired career path very difficult to almost impossible ( want to pursue clinical psychologist which is 4 years of psych+honours and then another 2 years of masters). However thank you for the requirement link, i didnt see it before!
Would dropping down to B. Science be a problem in that respect? Because you can still major in psychology and do an honours year in psychology. That's still makes you a psychology student with honours.

For example, let's take a look at Master of Clinical Psychology program at USYD. The requirement states:

Completion of an Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC) accredited four year bachelors degree with honours in psychology from a higher education provider, gaining at least an upper second class (2.1) honours, or equivalent. The bachelors degree with honours must include a major research project and thesis as an essential part of the degree.

Now take a look at the list of APAC accredited degrees in NSW. Fortunately, USYD's Bachelor of Science is on that list, and becomes a pathway to what you want to do if you complete an honours year in psychology with B. Science.

chickencoop

HSC
Would dropping down to B. Science be a problem in that respect? Because you can still major in psychology and do an honours year in psychology. That's still makes you a psychology student with honours.

For example, let's take a look at Master of Clinical Psychology program at USYD. The requirement states:

Completion of an Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC) accredited four year bachelors degree with honours in psychology from a higher education provider, gaining at least an upper second class (2.1) honours, or equivalent. The bachelors degree with honours must include a major research project and thesis as an essential part of the degree.

Now take a look at the list of APAC accredited degrees in NSW. Fortunately, USYD's Bachelor of Science is on that list, and becomes a pathway to what you want to do if you complete an honours year in psychology with B. Science.
hmm thats interesting actually...

Well regardless of which pathway i do end up taking, honours itself is going to be highly competitive with only the top of the top making it through in either B. Psych and B. Science. None the less, thanks for pointing out some alternatives just in case i get kicked out haha :p (pls pray 4 me)

D94

HSC
N/A
reason being that an undergrad B. of Psych has almost 2000 students in the first year, progressively dropping until around only 100 in the final honours
I don't believe that statistic. In 2014, USYD only had 233 undergraduate students enrolled in the B.Psych and 46 in the Honours year program. Even if you doubled that figure twice, that's nowhere near 2000.

sida1049

HSC
I don't believe that statistic. In 2014, USYD only had 233 undergraduate students enrolled in the B.Psych and 46 in the Honours year program. Even if you doubled that figure twice, that's nowhere near 2000.
Yeah, I thought so too.

I think chickencoop is actually (unwittingly) referring to the number of students enrolled into first year psychology units (i.e. students studying B. Science/Arts/Commerce/Law/et cetera, including those who do it for fun as an elective), which is about 2000 from what I've heard.

Last edited:

chickencoop

HSC
Uhh im not sure about psych units or whatever (first in the family to go to uni), but when i asked the person doing the Q&A's he did really emphasis the 2000... It could be like what Sida said about it being first year psychology units :/

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
honours itself is going to be highly competitive with only the top of the top making it through in either B. Psych and B. Science.
If you're in a BPsych, provided that you've met the requirements marks wise to stay in the degree, you are automatically guaranteed an honours spot. Only those in the BSc and BA have to worry about competing against others.

Just do the BPsych. If you're academically capable and apply yourself you shouldn't have any trouble getting the marks you need.

Last edited:

chickencoop

HSC
If you're in a BPsych, provided that you've met the requirements marks wise to stay in the degree, you are automatically guaranteed an honours spot. Only those in the BSc and BA have to worry about competing against others.

Just do the BPsych. If you're academically capable and apply yourself you shouldn't have any trouble getting the marks you need.
I just pray 65/75+ avg is achievable with my work ethics (i am by no means a workaholic)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)