Help a fellow chump out (emotion: confused) (1 Viewer)

Wintz

HSC
Hey, I enrolled for Biomed Engineering/Adv Maths this year, and to say I'm confused would be an understatement. I want to major in Mathematics and 'Financial Maths and Stats'. I got a few questions:
- As it's 48 cp for year one, is it 24cp each for both engineering and science?
- It says in order to graduate with a bachelor of science, you have to do 24 junior science units for something other than Maths and Statistics. Wtf? Does this mean I have to do 24 units of a science like physics or chem that I have no interest in majoring in? I just want to do maths teeb. And do I have to do this first year?
- For the junior maths units, there are four subjects: 1901,1902,1903 and 1905 (excluding 1004 cus wtf is Discrete Maths). This is only 12 cp altogether. Would I be able to do more maths subjects in first year, for example intermediate maths units?

Really appreciate any help

sida1049

HSC
As it's 48 cp for year one, is it 24cp each for both engineering and science?
No. It's up to you. You can do 48 credit points of science, or 48 credit points of engineering, or a mix of both. (For references, during my first year, I did 36 credit points of science and 12 credit points of arts.)

It says in order to graduate with a bachelor of science, you have to do 24 junior science units for something other than Maths and Statistics. Wtf? Does this mean I have to do 24 units of a science like physics or chem that I have no interest in majoring in? I just want to do maths teeb. And do I have to do this first year?
And the 24 credit points must involve at least 2 different areas of study (that can't be maths). You don't have to complete the 24 units in first year, e.g. you can do it across your entire degree if you wanted to (though I knocked it out of the way in first year, but it really depends on how you structure your degree).

I personally wasn't interested in biology, chemistry or physics either. So I did computer science (purely programming), computational science (COSC1003) and bioethics (HPSC1000; has only 3 take-home essays, no final exam, no homework except readings). There's quite a lot to choose from, so do whatever you think interests you (or bothers you the least).

For the junior maths units, there are four subjects: 1901,1902,1903 and 1905 (excluding 1004 cus wtf is Discrete Maths). This is only 12 cp altogether. Would I be able to do more maths subjects in first year, for example intermediate maths units?
Discrete mathematics is actually quite fascinating. It's relatively eclectic, since it's defined as any maths that is noncontinuous (so no calculus). So you'd be looking at modular arithmetic, logic (Boolean algebra), combinatorics, generating functions, et cetera. (But lol I didn't take MATH1004 because I couldn't fit it.)

And yes: there is one intermediate maths unit you can do in your first year:

MATH2068 Number Theory and Cryptography, which you can do in your second semester because the only requirement is 6 credit points of junior mathematics.

The topics in MATH2068 are discrete maths, but you don't need MATH1004 to do it.

Wintz

HSC
No. It's up to you. You can do 48 credit points of science, or 48 credit points of engineering, or a mix of both. (For references, during my first year, I did 36 credit points of science and 12 credit points of arts.)

And the 24 credit points must involve at least 2 different areas of study (that can't be maths). You don't have to complete the 24 units in first year, e.g. you can do it across your entire degree if you wanted to (though I knocked it out of the way in first year, but it really depends on how you structure your degree).

I personally wasn't interested in biology, chemistry or physics either. So I did computer science (purely programming), computational science (COSC1003) and bioethics (HPSC1000; has only 3 take-home essays, no final exam, no homework except readings). There's quite a lot to choose from, so do whatever you think interests you (or bothers you the least).

Discrete mathematics is actually quite fascinating. It's relatively eclectic, since it's defined as any maths that is noncontinuous (so no calculus). So you'd be looking at modular arithmetic, logic (Boolean algebra), combinatorics, generating functions, et cetera. (But lol I didn't take MATH1004 because I couldn't fit it.)

And yes: there is one intermediate maths unit you can do in your first year:

MATH2068 Number Theory and Cryptography, which you can do in your second semester because the only requirement is 6 credit points of junior mathematics.

The topics in MATH2068 are discrete maths, but you don't need MATH1004 to do it.
You're my favourite person in the world right now. Thanks for explaining everything in depth, really appreciate it! Not confused at all now And yeah discrete maths sounds interesting, might do it now if o can fit it in! Cheers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)