TSP Students 2017 (1 Viewer)

marxman

HSC
Anyone else get an email for the TSP program? If so what are your areas of interest?

Personally I put down Financial Math, Pure Math and Computer Science.

sida1049

HSC
Last year I put down Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science, and they grouped me into Computer Science, but I didn't do it.

I've just received an email, informing me that I'm invited into TSP again. Hmmm... Interesting, but still not sure if I'm willing.

sida1049

HSC
Due to a twist of events, I accepted TSP for second year.

leehuan

HSC
Hey sida, just out of curiosity do they allow you to take a TSP under a double degree at USyd?

sida1049

HSC
Hey sida, just out of curiosity do they allow you to take a TSP under a double degree at USyd?
Yup! I'm fairly sure that as long as you're a B. Science student (not sure about B. Liberal Arts and Science/Medical Science/etc), you can get into the TSP (99+ ATAR or 95+ Mathematics Extension 2 for first-year, 85+ annual average mark for higher years).

Edit: some science faculties (such as physics) allow anyone who's enrolled into first-year advanced physics units with sufficiently high marks to also participate in TSP (in the booklet, it mentions an Arts/Law who did physics TSP). Similarly, SSP for maths may be taken from any degree which allows you to enrol into advanced maths units.

Last edited:

marxman

HSC
Last year I put down Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science, and they grouped me into Computer Science, but I didn't do it.

I've just received an email, informing me that I'm invited into TSP again. Hmmm... Interesting, but still not sure if I'm willing.
What turned you off from doing computer science?

sida1049

HSC
What turned you off from doing computer science?
At the time, I knew barely anything about programming. The computer science mentor (nice guy, if I may add) suggested that it might be a better idea to take one or two computer science units before doing a TSP project on it.

marxman

HSC
At the time, I knew barely anything about programming. The computer science mentor (nice guy, if I may add) suggested that it might be a better idea to take one or two computer science units before doing a TSP project on it.
Ah makes sense, what will you be doing your TSP with now?

sida1049

HSC
Ah makes sense, what will you be doing your TSP with now?
Honestly, I have no idea. It runs differently from the TSP you'll be doing, because semester 1 for first-years involve a showcase.

I emailed my man Dan Daners and he mentioned that there is no obligation for me to commit during TSP for second-year, but there would be opportunities for projects (I'm doing TSP for maths), and other networking opportunities (seminars I'd assume).

marxman

HSC
Honestly, I have no idea. It runs differently from the TSP you'll be doing, because semester 1 for first-years involve a showcase.

I emailed my man Dan Daners and he mentioned that there is no obligation for me to commit during TSP for second-year, but there would be opportunities for projects (I'm doing TSP for maths), and other networking opportunities (seminars I'd assume).
Sounds great, good luck with it!

leehuan

HSC
Yup! I'm fairly sure that as long as you're a B. Science student (not sure about B. Liberal Arts and Science/Medical Science/etc), you can get into the TSP (99+ ATAR or 95+ Mathematics Extension 2 for first-year, 85+ annual average mark for higher years).

Edit: some science faculties (such as physics) allow anyone who's enrolled into first-year advanced physics units with sufficiently high marks to also participate in TSP (in the booklet, it mentions an Arts/Law who did physics TSP). Similarly, SSP for maths may be taken from any degree which allows you to enrol into advanced maths units.
Sigh.

At UNSW it's only for science single degrees.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
I'd recommend doing something practical if you do the TSP showcase in first semester - personally I did a practical physics project which I found enjoyable. You'll have the option of doing a maths project but it'll most likely just require you to (essentially) read a textbook and learn about an area of maths, rather than do any actual proper research/investigating. In fact I'd encourage you to consider doing a project that's maybe a little out of your comfort zone - that way, you'll be challenged by it and exposed to new ways of thinking, rather than doing something which you might already know about anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)